ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #61
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON
So, did the tourism guy fill an empty seat or replace someone?
As I mentioned earlier, the recommendation of the committee was that an off-highway motorcycle representative be the next fill - for which there was an empty seat.

A last minute move (that I described earlier), changed that to a four wheel drive rep getting the seat.

There never was supposed to be a tourism seat in the new model. This fill knocks out the 4WD rep with a tourism guy that now has a four year appointment. Keep in mind that OHM is now behind the 4WD guy so that puts OHM even further away.

Seats are not going to be available for 4WD or OHM until there is a statute change increasing the number of seats from 9 to 11 (part of the recommendation).

Getting a statute change is not a speedy process.

This is a bad thing. This started because some groups believed the STC did not do much for 4WD or OHM. This led to getting someone to introduce a change to the statutes to mandate a 4WD and an OHM seat on the council. In the course of the public hearings, where some of us presented our views on the matter, the STC was given an opportunity to fix this on their own. The STC formed a committee (on which I served) to hammer out a fair recommendation for change. We did that. We developed a very fair model that gave more complete representation to user groups. The STC adopted nearly all of the recommendation.

Then, this appointment, which is outside what was recommended and agreed upon by the STC came into being.

To be clear, the Governor needed to agree to what was recommended and what the STC accepted. This part of the deal got lost in the world of government over the past couple of months. Even so, it is amazing to me that an appointment would be made without someone on the STC or in the DNR being consulted . . .

Anyone the least bit involved with the STC would have been aware of the pending revision to the STC structure and should have put this appointment on hold until things were sorted out. One has to wonder. . .

One problem is that once you ask people to get involved in developing a fair and reasonable solution to a problem and then later seemingly disregard what they recommended, they tend to come back at the issue a little more vehemently. Unless this gets straightened out quickly, some people will likely believe that working in good faith through the system didn't work too well and that maybe the solution must be driven politically - back to seeking a statute change (this time with the STC's own study in support of the change).

I really hope that this chance to develop and implement a sound solution the right way doesn't come apart. We'll have to see what happens in the near future.

I contacted the chairman of the STC about this matter.

It is probably a good idea for some informed and articulate people with motorcycle interests to attend some of these meetings to express their interest and support for following through on the recommendations.

As a side note the off-highway motorcycle registration program, and all that involves, continues to plod forward. People from WOHMA have been doing some coordination with the DNR and are moving a recommendation forward. This will enable a revenue stream (registration) that will help us build motorcycle trails and increase our access to other motorized trails in Wisconsin. For details of what this involves, read the white paper I prepared last year.

http://www.gldsmc.org/public/Much/OH...te_Paper_2.pdf
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #62
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,461
Bryan-

Do you know Skip? Or heard of him before?

Looks like he owns a horse and atv ranch in Mountain... I'm not sure if thats a good thing for OHM or not.
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #63
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON
Bryan-

Do you know Skip? Or heard of him before?

Looks like he owns a horse and atv ranch in Mountain... I'm not sure if thats a good thing for OHM or not.
We need to try and leave him out of it as the issue is/needs to be more about structure than individuals. I doubt he was even aware of the pending revisions to the STC when he was appointed.

What we need to do is work toward getting the recommended structure fully implemented which will hopefully eventually get things straightened out.

This is a little frustrating. My background is in a business culture where things are better coordinated.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #64
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Attended the State Trails Council meeting in Madison today.

Well . . . I think it will be best for me to wait a day or two before I post anything. I want to give a fair assessment of the encouraging versus the discouraging. Hard to find words for some of it . . .

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 01:38 PM
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #65
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,461
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #66
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,654

I smell a stinky political sandwich covered with a huge dollop of bureaucratic malaise. But I'm most likely way off base......?
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #67
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
It must have been a really bad meeting cuz Bryan is still not talking.
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #68
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #69
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Under the radar for a bit . . . still working for a positive outcome. Hopefully something positive next time.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #70
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Just got back from the State Trails Council meeting.

Some positive steps forward today.

The statute change to expand the Council won't be introduced for about a year. However, the Council voted to take some interim steps to integrate additional informal representatives for some of the user groups that were recommended as a result of the study and recommendations we did about the STC.

I also want to thank a gentleman named Matt who came in and made some remarks about his dissatisfaction with Wisconsin not doing much for OHM trails. He mentioned that he came in to make his pitch based on some things he saw here. Thanks Matt, you did a nice job! Exactly the kind of thing we need from time to time.

I'll be staying with this thing to see it through to proper completion.

Overall, the other motorized issues are moving forward (albeit in small steps). The off-highway motorcycle association, off-highway vehicle association, and others are continuing to press forward. Sometimes it seems like a complex and slow process, but it will likely bear fruit in the end.

All in all, good news for today!

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 03:49 PM
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #71
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Good News!

Thanks for the continued efforts Bryan
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #72
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
OHM Wisconsin

Just a little bump to an important topic for Wisconsin residents and tourists.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #73
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Here is a little food for thought.

Although we are not intending to go this way, it is possible that the OHM crowd might have to go through something like the UTV people are going through now. As you know, some counties have local ordinances that prohibit OHM from trails in their county.

Right now we are seeking a program that includes a fee/sticker that would open existing ATV trails (many are already open to us) as well as provide funds for constructing OHM specific trails.

It would be a huge pain to have to work for access on a county by county basis. Keep in mind that the ATV groups are well established and have significant numbers. Best to be allies rather than adversaries.

All of this needs to be kept in mind when dealing with the small minority of riders that don't know how to behave on these trails. The need to self-police is very important - even more so as we work toward our access goals.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #74
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Just an update.

Three of us met today at the Capitol with a state rep and a couple of people that write statutes. We are working on drafting the legislation for the off-highway motorcycle program which will enable us to move forward with a variety of things we need to get the trails we want.

Once they LRB folks get a chance to work on it a bit, I'll be sure to post up a draft so people can comment.

Progress . . . slow, but progress nonetheless.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #75
n9udl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Once they LRB folks get a chance to work on it a bit, I'll be sure to post up a draft so people can comment.

Progress . . . slow, but progress nonetheless.
Thank you for working so hard on our behalf.

"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass, if you have to choose." - Me

Check out the cool Tent Space thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585
n9udl is offline   Reply With Quote