ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #76
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,086
Any updates lately? I got the winter blues, could go for some (happy) info to get the blood flowing.

Thanks again Mr. Cannon for all your hard work, time, and money you've spent to make our motorcycle hobby that much better in Wisconsin.

Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #77
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,075
There are a few of us that actively continue to plug along on this.

Right now we are working with the legislature to draft the legislation that will bring the law that we need to move forward with an off-highway motorcycle plan (registration, revenue, trails, etc). This is being written at this very moment.

There has been some progress with representation on the State Trails Council and will we see that resolved in a month or so.

The DNR is working on a motorized recreation area and right now they are targeting something in SW WI that has some significant potential. This could be a valuable asset for people in the southern part of the state.

There is always something going on behind the scenes to try to move things forward for us.

The Wisconsin Off-Highway Motorcycle Association is an organization that will be an important coordinator with clubs to get people involved with voicing their support for some of these initiatives when the time comes.

Looking for some significant progress this year.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #78
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,086
^^^ Thanks to everyone involved in this effort.
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #79
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
On a sidenote to some of this, will there be any reps from the group at the Chicago Intl. Moto show? Usually MiCCC, and NOHVCC (sp?) are there....

Dennis
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #80
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettr View Post
On a sidenote to some of this, will there be any reps from the group at the Chicago Intl. Moto show? Usually MiCCC, and NOHVCC (sp?) are there....

Dennis
Don't know which groups will be there this year, but no one involved in this effort will be at the show (except as attendees).
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #81
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

We continue to move forward with the legislation that will enable off-highway motorcyling in Wisconsin. The legislation involves several issues but mostly focuses on a registration (sticker) program that will generate funds to get us greater access to trails and help fund single track motorcycle trails.

The motorcycle legislation initiative is being worked by some of us in the Wisconsin Off-Highway Motorcycle Association (WOHMA). There is a parallel 4WD initiative being worked by the Wisconsin Off-Highway Vehicle Association (WOHVA).

There is no doubt that state government is preoccupied by significant budget issues for a few months. Recognizing that, I haven't followed up on our draft legislation for a while.

I did follow-up today to try to get a picture of what was in the future.

The short version is that we will fine tune the draft around May once the budget issues get tackled. The legislation will be introduced in June or July. Public hearings will be in August or September. It will be important for OHM/DS riders to give input to those hearings. We will put out details about that as things develop. Hopefully legislative action will be in September or October. Theoretically, we could get this done this year.

As another point of information, the DNR is seriously working toward establishing an off-highway vehicle park in the next year or so. The issue continues to be finding a suitable site within reach of the density of enthusiasts in the southern part of the state. Latest word is that they have a line of a suitable site that may prove to be a great destination location with camping and other activities beyond motorized recreation. The vision is that a motorsports park would have facilities designed to meet the needs of 4WD, ATV, and motorcycles. As always, the concerns of people that live near the site will be a huge factor in determining suitability.

We'll keep you posted as things develop.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #82
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
Thanks for the update.

I'd welcome some sort of state-wide sticker program like other states have.

Buying stickers for individual trails can get confusing for simple folks like me .

Keep us posted as things progress.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #83
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A brief summary of what we are working on.

Summary
Off-highway and dual sport motorcyclist are seeking to improve access to motorized recreational trails in Wisconsin. This initiative involves enhancing a system that enables groups to establish and sustain motorcycle specific trails. It also enables a funding stream to contribute toward shared use of other motorized trails that are not specific to off-highway motorcycles.

More specifically, we are seeking to:
a. Establish an off-highway motorcycle registration program to generate revenue. Those who want to enjoy riding on motorized trails will be able to purchase a registration sticker that will generate funds that can be used to pay for those trails and related costs. Off-highway motorcycles that do not now require registration through the Department of Transportation will be able to be registered for off-highway use via the Department of Natural Resources.
b. Implement a safety education program. This program is intended to align with the safety programs currently in place for hunters, boaters, all-terrain vehicle riders, and snowmobilers that operate on public lands or waters.
c. Develop off-highway motorcycle trails. Off-highway motorcycle trails are generally narrow and winding trails that are designed specifically for motorcycles. These trails are not suitable to be shared with larger all-terrain vehicles.
d. Gain access to other motorized recreation trails. Most existing motorized trails are suitable to be shared with motorcyclists. At present, access to these trails varies with some access being allowed and some denied. Much of the variance is related to motorcycles having a limited funding stream to contribute toward trail maintenance.
e. Gain access to ATV Routes (or equivalent) that connect trails via public roads. Some motorized recreational trails have segments that use public roads where ATV access is allowed. Motorcycle access has not yet provided for in state law and we seek to gain a change that allows that. Without access to routes that use local roads, off-highway motorcyclists cannot follow the trail through its intended course.
f. Establish regulations for off-highway motorcycles operated on public property. In order to have a workable system, regulations must be properly defined. We are seeking to have proper regulation enacted via state statute and administrative code.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #84
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I made a presentation on behalf of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders (and motorcyclists in general) in Forest County last night. We were trying to gain access to the Nicolet Recreational Trail and the Wolf River State Trail. Changes to the county management plans for these trails are currently being considered.

Both of these are multi-use railroad grade trails that allow snowmobiles and ATVs but not DS motorcycles.

The motorcycle discussion went for more than an hour. Many concerns were addressed.

One important lesson that was reinforced by the meeting is that when user groups and decision makers can sit down and talk through the issues, it becomes much easier to work out solutions that satisfy and benefit everyone involved.

The outcome was that Forest County agreed to add DS motorcycle use to the final drafts of their management plans. This is intended to be for a one year trial period.

However, since the motorcycle issue was new to the plan, the county intends to seek additional public input. This means that significant opposition could kill this proposal.

I prepared a summary that was distributed to WDSR members. The summary also has a blank comment form attached to the e-mail to be used by dual sporters to express their support for our proposal. It is likely that the club will forward the summary and comment form to some past participants of the Wabeno dual sport rides so that they can comment in support of our proposal as well.

ALL COMMENT FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED IN FOREST COUNTY BY APRIL 4TH. THIS MEANS COMMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

If you wish to comment in favor of allowing dual sport motorcycle use on these two state trails in Forest County and you have not received the comment form via other channels, please PM me an e-mail address and I will send you my summary remarks and a comment form.

Thank you for your support of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders and dual sport motorcyclists in general.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #85
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I also attended the USFS briefing for the eastern region in Milwaukee today. Good information regarding processes in their system. When I get caught up on the immediate local issue in the preceding post, I'll share some summary information.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #86
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I made a presentation on behalf of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders (and motorcyclists in general) in Forest County last night. We were trying to gain access to the Nicolet Recreational Trail and the Wolf River State Trail. Changes to the county management plans for these trails are currently being considered.

Both of these are multi-use railroad grade trails that allow snowmobiles and ATVs but not DS motorcycles.

The motorcycle discussion went for more than an hour. Many concerns were addressed.

One important lesson that was reinforced by the meeting is that when user groups and decision makers can sit down and talk through the issues, it becomes much easier to work out solutions that satisfy and benefit everyone involved.

The outcome was that Forest County agreed to add DS motorcycle use to the final drafts of their management plans. This is intended to be for a one year trial period.

However, since the motorcycle issue was new to the plan, the county intends to seek additional public input. This means that significant opposition could kill this proposal.

I prepared a summary that was distributed to WDSR members. The summary also has a blank comment form attached to the e-mail to be used by dual sporters to express their support for our proposal. It is likely that the club will forward the summary and comment form to some past participants of the Wabeno dual sport rides so that they can comment in support of our proposal as well.

ALL COMMENT FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED IN FOREST COUNTY BY APRIL 4TH. THIS MEANS COMMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

If you wish to comment in favor of allowing dual sport motorcycle use on these two state trails in Forest County and you have not received the comment form via other channels, please PM me an e-mail address and I will send you my summary remarks and a comment form.

Thank you for your support of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders and dual sport motorcyclists in general.
We at the WI DSR plan to get this info out to members and past riders by the end of the weekend. if you feel you would like to make positive and on message comments please contact Cannon shot or the club so we all keep the same talking points. Getting onto these 2 systems will benifit the club and riders by getting everyone into and out of areas without useing state highways where we are turning into and out of traffic at short intervuls with large groups of bikes. they also provide some nice senic byways to be able to use and show how we can be responsiable co-users of the system , hopefully paving the way to more areas being opened to all types of bikes.
Thank you Bryan for taking the time and effort to go to this meeting and speak for us. ps. sorry you had to do it in such crappy weather! lj
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #87
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by little john View Post
We at the WI DSR plan to get this info out to members and past riders by the end of the weekend. if you feel you would like to make positive and on message comments please contact Cannon shot or the club so we all keep the same talking points. Getting onto these 2 systems will benifit the club and riders by getting everyone into and out of areas without useing state highways where we are turning into and out of traffic at short intervuls with large groups of bikes. they also provide some nice senic byways to be able to use and show how we can be responsiable co-users of the system , hopefully paving the way to more areas being opened to all types of bikes.
Thank you Bryan for taking the time and effort to go to this meeting and speak for us. ps. sorry you had to do it in such crappy weather! lj
John highlights an important point. Showing success with this opportunity is very important to our being able to garner support for other projects or in other areas. When I was coordinating some issues with the DNR on this, I was reminded (as I was during the Forest County meeting) that there are some concerns out there based on excessive exhaust noise and knuckleheaded behavior by a few outliers. We need to sustain peer pressure (self police) in our sport so that a few outliers don't hold back the majority of riders from moving forward.

Someone asked for a map. The red lines show the Forest County portions of these trails. Wabeno, the site of two WDSR events each year, is waypointed on the Nicolet.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 07:42 AM
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #88
PBR Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Forest County Comment

I have my comment sheet filled out, the envelope is stamped and ready to go in the mail Friday. Lets all get involved, these opportunities do not come along too often.
PBR Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #89
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Man View Post
I have my comment sheet filled out, the envelope is stamped and ready to go in the mail Friday. Lets all get involved, these opportunities do not come along too often.
Printed out yesterday...
In the mail Tomorrow
Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #90
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
John highlights an important point. Showing success with this opportunity is very important to our being able to garner support for other projects or in other areas. When I was coordinating some issues with the DNR on this, I was reminded (as I was during the Forest County meeting) that there are some concerns out there based on excessive exhaust noise and knuckleheaded behavior by a few outliers. We need to sustain peer pressure (self police) in our sport so that a few outliers don't hold back the majority of riders from moving forward.

Someone asked for a map. The red lines show the Forest County portions of these trails. Wabeno, the site of two WDSR events each year, is waypointed on the Nicolet.

another interesting part of the map not shown is if we get that part of the Nicolet trail and can convince Florcene County to allow the same type of access, one could ride from south of Carter into the MI trail system with only about 2 miles of tar roads.
please keep you comments positive , dont knock the horse folks they are working with us , and encourage others to do the same. apperently a few of you are taking this to heart because I got a call this morning from a club member saying he had gotten this e-mail from 5 different groups already! Thank you for supporting dual sporting in Forest Co. lj
little john is offline   Reply With Quote