ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
Double J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Printed it out, filled it out, mailed it out.

Thanks for going to the meetings and letting us know about this, Cannonshot and Little John! I do alot of riding in Forest County and this would be fantastic for these trails to be open to dual sport motorcycles! Come on everybody- its to cold to go up north and ride this weekend so fill out the form and get it in the mail!
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #92
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,137
Its probably poking me in the eye, but where is this form available?
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #93
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
Its probably poking me in the eye, but where is this form available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
If you wish to comment in favor of allowing dual sport motorcycle use on these two state trails in Forest County and you have not received the comment form via other channels, please PM me an e-mail address and I will send you my summary remarks and a comment form.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #94
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,137
Cool, thanks Cannon...PM on the way. BTW, BIG thanks for the effort you guys are putting into this!
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #95
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
Mine is in the mail!
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #96
DruiD
riding too fast

Oddometer: 544
Done....

When he rode the first three corners before putting the front wheel back down, I knew we were in trouble.

DruiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #97
Black Beard
EXC user

Oddometer: 179
Laugh

Its in the blue box. Thanks cannon
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #98
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
just wanted to bump this one more time, seems it has made the rounds nicely already, but we'll take every comment we can get infavor of it. Thank you everyone that filled out a comment card and returned it and thank you Cannonshot for making the trip and posting all the info. little john

Quote:
I made a presentation on behalf of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders (and motorcyclists in general) in Forest County last night. We were trying to gain access to the Nicolet Recreational Trail and the Wolf River State Trail. Changes to the county management plans for these trails are currently being considered.

Both of these are multi-use railroad grade trails that allow snowmobiles and ATVs but not DS motorcycles.

The motorcycle discussion went for more than an hour. Many concerns were addressed.

One important lesson that was reinforced by the meeting is that when user groups and decision makers can sit down and talk through the issues, it becomes much easier to work out solutions that satisfy and benefit everyone involved.

The outcome was that Forest County agreed to add DS motorcycle use to the final drafts of their management plans. This is intended to be for a one year trial period.

However, since the motorcycle issue was new to the plan, the county intends to seek additional public input. This means that significant opposition could kill this proposal.

I prepared a summary that was distributed to WDSR members. The summary also has a blank comment form attached to the e-mail to be used by dual sporters to express their support for our proposal. It is likely that the club will forward the summary and comment form to some past participants of the Wabeno dual sport rides so that they can comment in support of our proposal as well.

ALL COMMENT FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED IN FOREST COUNTY BY APRIL 4TH. THIS MEANS COMMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

If you wish to comment in favor of allowing dual sport motorcycle use on these two state trails in Forest County and you have not received the comment form via other channels, please PM me an e-mail address and I will send you my summary remarks and a comment form.

Thank you for your support of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders and dual sport motorcyclists in general.
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,137
Two sent, me Mrs. Mud. Sent the form to 20 more. Hope it helps.
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #100
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Meeting in Madison today with the Trails Council.

There is a new series of Wisconsin bicycle maps that is put out by the DOT and the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin. The paper version has topography shading and I noticed that Rustic Roads were labeled as "RUSTIC" on the maps (though not numbered). The maps can be purchased by region or as a set. I saw them at the Milwaukee Map Store the other day and I think they were around $20 for the set.

The DOT will put the latest version up live on the web later this week. I think they have an old version up now. The maps on the web won't have topography on them. Wisconsin Bike Map Series.
Paper version for sale: http://www.bfw.org/store/index.php
2009 DOT web version: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...t/bikemaps.htm (look for 2011 version soon)

Even if the Recreational Trail Program money gets killed off at the federal level, we still have some to operate with for a while. As we get our sticker program for OHM in place this year, we need to quickly move forward with some trail projects. The most efficient way to get some trails quickly is for local clubs to work out an arrangement with counties to put some single track in county forests. We need to start posturing for this eventuality. Most counties will likely be reluctant to participate until we have sustaining registration funds. We will likely be able to come in with some matching fund grants that help us get the trails established. By the way, matching funds on our part can include our labor instead of money.

I am going to take some sustainable trails training as it will prove useful as we move forward with some projects in the future.

I need to meet with some key club leaders to talk about things we need to think about and line up now so that we score well in the grant process.

Had a presentation regarding best practices for managing invasive species.

We had the opportunity to meet with the top leadership of the DNR. We were able to express some concerns about the lack of some motorized recreation opportunities in the state. There is now a strong emphasis on developing jobs some of which are related to recreation and tourism. Toward that end, the DNR is receptive to making changes that might expand some motorized recreation opportunities.

Alex Bub from Wisconsin Off Highway Motorcycle Association and a pack of 4WD folks also attended and were able to offer comments in support of expanding motorized recreation.

Coincidentally, we have an initiative working regarding expanding motorcycle access to State recreation trails. In view of the message we got from the DNR leadership, we may soon enjoy expanded access. I contacted two club/association leaders requesting them to send a specific message to the Secretary regarding some pending business to support an outcome favorable to our interests. Hopefully we'll know more about that shortly.

Sorry for not being more specific right now.

As things change, I'll post an update here.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 07:30 AM
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #101
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Update on the initiative with Forest County and the two State trails there.

Talked with a representative there this morning.

They are moving forward with the language in the revision to their master plans to allow DS motorcycles on the trails with the proviso that DNR policy must allow it.

As I mentioned, there is a policy issue relative to this working through the DNR right now. Not sure when that will be decided as it takes time work through the system. We are working that issue from both ends.

Forest County received about 100 comments from dual sport motorcyclists in support of the proposition. Thank you for expressing your support!

I'll post more info here as things develop.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #102
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A photo I snapped of one of the CannonTrek guests (Z@ch from Ohio) is now being used to help support an invasive species information campaign here in Wisconsin.
I think this is still a draft product but this info is good.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 09:25 AM
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #103
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,520
Quote:
A photo I snapped of one of the CannonTrek guests (Z@ch) is now being used to help support an invasive species information campaign.
I think this is still a draft product.
As much as I like having the bike on the ad, first impressions are that the bike is the invasive item

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #104
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
As much as I like having the bike on the ad, first impressions are that the bike is the invasive item

Campaign has similar sheets for each user group using pictures and information relevant to their user group. So, the bike image was intended to get the attention of this particular user group. Seems to have worked well.

We are not taking the hit for all motorized users. There will be pix for jeeps, ATVs, etc as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #105
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
I feel your pain and take my hat off for all you are doing.
it is true that 20% of the people do 80% of the work.
Keep moving..

And to all others, People like Cannonshot are working hard on your behalf doing and fighting for your rights.
Step up to the plate and make life easier.

You contributions in time does not have to be all time consuming, just lending a hand, attending a meeting to sign your name and listen goes a long way.

Step UP.

Quote:
I attended the State Trails Council meeting again last Friday as a representative of the Ad Hoc Cmte that was put together to make recommendations to achieve more complete representation of trail users on the State Trails Council.

The council completed the review of our recommendations and voted to accept most of what was recommended.

One major point that was not accepted was that the next appointment to the State Trails Council was to be an off-highway motorcycle representative. At the last minute, a couple of the members made a move to give that slot to the four wheel drive community and make the off highway motorcycle people wait until the statute is changed to make the council grow from 9 to 11 members.

There were a number of 4WD people in the audience at the meeting. I was the only motorcycle person there. I was also in a role of speaking for the entire recommendaton from the ad hoc cmte which was intended to do justice for all user groups.

In the end I had to re-argue the case for giving the next slot to the OHM representative. Frankly, I felt like I was taking fire from three sides and being the only motorcycle representative there I didn't have the supporting elements that may have helped influence the battle.

On one hand I feel great that most of the recommendations were accepted but I feel like the motorcycle people lost a step forward by losing the motorcycle rep.

What needs to happen is that we need to get some well informed and articulate motorcycle people to start attending these meetings to press for the follow through to get the statutory change to grow the STC from 9 to 11 members so we can get on board. We need people to show up not to just silently sit there, but to speak in an informed manner to get things to happen.

Frankly, the STC adopting our recommendations does not mean that the required changes will actually be made. It is more complicated than that, so it is important for our voice to be heard at every meeting.

There will be more things to do that I will address later, but right now this is something we need to work on.

On another note, it is very disheartening to attend these meetings and hear the complaints made by citizens about motorized people being on hiking, biking, and other trails where they don't belong. I realize that this bad behavior is an exception to what most motorized people do, but it is fuel for the anti-motorized fire and it evokes a disproportionate response that harms the potential for motorized recreation everywhere.

So, our community needs to be very active in policing those among us who may at some point do the wrong thing. This means that we have to be active in making on the spot corrections. If you see someone someplace they shouldn't be, please take action to correct the behavior before it causes a problem. Remember that people's perceptions result in as good an anti-motorized story as a real incident, so we need to make sure we are presenting ourselves as being clearly on the up and up.

I realize that there are very few people who cause these problems, but they are often attributed to motorized recreation as a whole.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote