User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
seniorasi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Transmission woes

2012 GSA 5700 miles. Several time while out riding today the transmission failed to catch 6th gear. The first time I thought it was me. Not so, the travel reaches a detent, I release pressure on the shifter lever, let the clutch out, hear a clunk and it shifts back into 5th.

Anyone else had this problem?
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
2012 GSA 5700 miles. Several time while out riding today the transmission failed to catch 6th gear. The first time I thought it was me. Not so, the travel reaches a detent, I release pressure on the shifter lever, let the clutch out, hear a clunk and it shifts back into 5th.

Anyone else had this problem?
My Tranny replaced under warranty..same issue..

New one has done it..but a couple times in 60,000 miles..

I always wondered if it was me and lazy shifts..but it wasn't, my old tranny did it all the time..this one doesn't, nor did my '05.

Good luck..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
It has happened to me maybe 3 times so far, 2010 GS @ 30K miles. Sure hope it doesn't become a regular event! The first time was many thousands ago....
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
seniorasi OP
Banned

Service

I contacted the service department where I purchased the bike. Hopefully they will resolve the issue quickly.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
It is possible to have a lazy shift and for the bike to fail to catch a gear. My will do it every now and again, usually when I'm wearing heavy motocross boots or I'm in a combat situation when I'm hammering gears. With any bike, not just a BMW.

3 times in 60,000 is nothing to worry about.

but if you're sure you've got it up there and it pops clean again into neutral, you need to have it broken and looked into.

Keep us informed, please.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
It is possible to have a lazy shift and for the bike to fail to catch a gear. My will do it every now and again, usually when I'm wearing heavy motocross boots or I'm in a combat situation when I'm hammering gears. With any bike, not just a BMW.

3 times in 60,000 is nothing to worry about.

but if you're sure you've got it up there and it pops clean again into neutral, you need to have it broken and looked into.

Keep us informed, please.
3 times in one day, 5,700 miles, varying load conditions. Saturday's three failed gear shift attempts is not the first time. It has happened in the past but I just thought it was me. Saturday I made absolutely certain the lever was against the detent when shifting. It happened three times.I just need to have all the information I can when discussing this malady with the SM.

How long did it take for the transmission to be replaced for those of you who had it done?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
3 times in one day, 5,700 miles, varying load conditions. Saturday's three failed gear shift attempts is not the first time. It has happened in the past but I just thought it was me. Saturday I made absolutely certain the lever was against the detent when shifting. It happened three times.I just need to have all the information I can when discussing this malady with the SM.

How long did it take for the transmission to be replaced for those of you who had it done?
About two weeks if I remember correctly...a wwek for BMWNA to sign off..a week to get it in..mine did it to the tech when he test rode it..so that helped I think
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
About two weeks if I remember correctly...a wwek for BMWNA to sign off..a week to get it in..mine did it to the tech when he test rode it..so that helped I think
Hopefully mine will too. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
seniorasi OP
Banned

Put on 65 miles today with it jumping out of 6th gear twice. I was watching the shift indicator to be certain it was getting into gear. The indicator showed "6", when I let out the clutch the numbers disappeared briefly, then the clunk, then the number 5 appeared indicating 5th gear.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Put on 65 miles today with it jumping out of 6th gear twice. I was watching the shift indicator to be certain it was getting into gear. The indicator showed "6", when I let out the clutch the numbers disappeared briefly, then the clunk, then the number 5 appeared indicating 5th gear.

Any ideas?
I have an idea..your bike is jumping out of gear as mine did..mine would just start to accelerate..then pop back to fifth..

I know that doesn't help..sorry..try to get the dealer to stand behind you with BMWNA..

Good Luck
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I have an idea, too: your trans has dropped a bollock.

The gear indicator is not a solid... indication... (Sorry) that you have it fully in gear.

Your foot will tell you all. If you're preloading the shifter and shoving it up like you're doing on every other complete, proper shift 1-5, then it should stay in gear.

You shouldn't have to play voodoo with the shifter of muck with it. You know how to shift, as I said you just did it four times on the way up to 6th and it didn't pop out, did it? And now that you're taking the time to make sure that it's seriously home in 6th and it's letting out, you know you have an issue. Book the service dept now.

PS don't believe Vegas, how does a guy who lives in Oregon call himself Vegas.... Let him find out where he lives first before taking advice.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
I have an idea, too: your trans has dropped a bollock.

The gear indicator is not a solid... indication... (Sorry) that you have it fully in gear.

Your foot will tell you all. If you're preloading the shifter and shoving it up like you're doing on every other complete, proper shift 1-5, then it should stay in gear.

You shouldn't have to play voodoo with the shifter of muck with it. You know how to shift, as I said you just did it four times on the way up to 6th and it didn't pop out, did it? And now that you're taking the time to make sure that it's seriously home in 6th and it's letting out, you know you have an issue. Book the service dept now.

PS don't believe Vegas, how does a guy who lives in Oregon call himself Vegas.... Let him find out where he lives first before taking advice.

Ahh..but I live in Washington..and moved from Vegas..Moved here a year ago..I need a new screen name..

You are correct..Mine jumped out of 6th..all other changes were fine..the throw is not any longer..

PS..I simply confirmed that, that was how mine acted..I didn't give any advice..

PSS You ever gonna answer my PM I sent you Bobby?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Pm?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Pm?
Just resent?? Didn't go thru maybe..
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
seniorasi OP
Banned

Service Department Opinions

I'll ride it again today and try pre-loading the shifter lever. The throw from 5th to 6th is longer than the other gears.