ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
hey asheville guys i need to know where to stay in asheville for 2 nights for me and the wife!! we are thinking of riding up and parking the bikes and just walking around town and doing some drinking and listen to some music and want to be able to walk to everything??
the shearton downtown looks cool!! any advice would be apperciated!!
thanks

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #32
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
pretty much all the big hotels downtown are good. Secure bike parking may be a little more tough. the downtown is pretty small, everything is in walking distance. You may want to check out the biktmore while youre here, its pretty neat.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #33
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,171
High fendered Transalp?

OK, which one of you guys was riding a high fendered Transalp towards Lake Lure today on 74A? Nice lean...

KDScoates, PM sent.
dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale
OK, which one of you guys was riding a high fendered Transalp towards Lake Lure today on 74A? Nice lean...

KDScoates, PM sent.
Not sure who it was, but Shandy has one.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #35
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
hey asheville guys i need to know where to stay in asheville for 2 nights for me and the wife!! we are thinking of riding up and parking the bikes and just walking around town and doing some drinking and listen to some music and want to be able to walk to everything??
the shearton downtown looks cool!! any advice would be apperciated!!
thanks
I don't live in Ashevegas but have worked and stayed there quite a bit over the last few years. My colleagues & I like the Renaissance. It's easy to get to, a very short walk to all the downtown restaurants & bars and I have seen bikes parked right out front under cover on the sidewalk overnight. Decent rooms and we have never had any issues. I think cost is about $100 per night but they honor State and Federal Gov't rates and may have other discounts.

Have fun.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #36
Shandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale

KDScoates, PM sent.
[IMG][/IMG]

That was me...I had a great ride today and love the new tires! Really had no where to go today I just went

Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
That was me...I had a great ride today and love the new tires! Really had no where to go today I just went
I figured it had to be an inmate riding this, nice bike!
I did the same thing, the wife's bike needed to be ran a bit so I just went to Lake Lure and back, stopped by ACME on the way home.

dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #38
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

nice ride~!!!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #39
Shandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
nice ride~!!!!!
Thanks guys...it has been a very fun project. The XRL front end and the Africa Twin rear end is just what I needed for riding on and off road

Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #40
mgarrett
How far to Murphy?

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Thanks guys...it has been a very fun project. The XRL front end and the Africa Twin rear end is just what I needed for riding on and off road
So, it's really a Trans Twin? Or is it an Africa Alp?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #41
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Russ: Sorry I missed your tire changing class. I was out of town on business. Would love to attend one though...you know its just a matter of time. BTW I'm the guy from Deerfield on the BMW F800GS. I might like to ride with you sometime. I'm down in Spartanburg and it takes me a little while to get up to the good areas. Don't have as much tiime to ride as you do but maybe sometime we could meet up. I rode up yesterday to Wesly Crk rd because I read about Max Patch Rd in the BMW "On" magazine. Wnated to check it out. There is one section in the last .5 mile stretch that was quite challenging( to the tune of 45 min spent rying to crest the hill). This leads me to my suggestion on stuff to talk about or have seminars on. There was snow, ice and where there wasn't that it was wet slippery mud, and on an angle to boot!. How is the best way to approach these conditions( don't say.. "stay home and put new accessories on my bike!" )
I had TKC 80's but was jut no match for icy ruts. To make it worse , I was alone. ( dropped bike no less than 7 times ) Thought I was gonna sleep there!. Would like to put in pictures of where I was but I don't have much success at adding pictures to this site. So I just included a link. hope it works.

Later I found out how close to Hurricane Crk Rd I was, but spent so much dang time trying to get up that little hill that I didn't have time once I got out and had to head home.
Will keep tabs on this forum...looks like a good one.

Marc Morgan
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nand6drops.jpg" target="_blank">http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nand6drops.jpg" border="0" alt="The hill that almost whipped me!">
marc morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #42
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Please someone tell me how you put your photos in the body of your reply!
Thanks
Marc
marc morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #43
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc morgan
Please someone tell me how you put your photos in the body of your reply!
Thanks
Marc
here ya go: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #44
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarrett
So, it's really a Trans Twin? Or is it an Africa Alp?
"Africa Alp" doesn't make much geographical sense but is considerably less disturbing to me than "Trans Twin".

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #45
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Ice...Ice!!!!

Marc!! What were you thinkin'...."southern boys" just arent equiped to ride on ice , Ya got to have some kind of "spike" in your DNA to ride on ice!!!!
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote