ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #46
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Was thinkin of fashioning my own set of "emergency chains" to go on the rear. Or does somebody already make those?
I've read about spikes and I just don't think i want to ruin a set of tires like that. Besides, we don't get that much snow and ice.
So what your saying, Russ, is that I should have stayed home and added more accessories to my bike!

Marc
marc morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #47
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Accessories????

Dont tell me that you havent got all the stuff!!! Touratech stock went up after you got that f800.
Let me give you one of Russ's rule of thumb...."Ride the ridges in the summer, and stay in the valley's in the winter".
Like I said you dont have the right DNA to ride ice...LOL
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #48
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Photos of ice experience

http://mudslinger.smugmug.com/galler...63435764_UBQme

Okay..I broke down and joined Smug mug. Lets see if this is the way its suppose to be!

marc
Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
marc morgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay. Looks like it works..I thought I could put them in body of post but apparently you have to go to my gallery to view. Not too inconvenient!

Thanks
Marc
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #50
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704

marc,

Just click on the photo, copy the URL, paste it into your post.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #51
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc morgan
Okay. Looks like it works..I thought I could put them in body of post but apparently you have to go to my gallery to view. Not too inconvenient!

Thanks
Marc
Hi,
Check out what this sites owner has to say about posting pics....pay close attention to option #2

CLICK HERE
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #52
jmcnair828
BeemerBonz

Oddometer: 67
My first low side

On the way to work this morning I entered the on-ramp for I-26 and in the middle of the right hander...lowsided it. Not sure what the cause was. Most likely a little too much lean/speed on cold tires/cold asphalt. That was a little after 7:00 a.m. It's currently 8:37 a.m. and the soreness is starting to creep into my old bones. I'm OK but my Olympia Phantam suit is just a bit more than torn in several places, which is waaaaaaaay better than my skin. I'm getting ready to contact them to see about repairs.....to the suit, not me . The Wee has crash bars so the only damage was the front right turn signal. I think most of it is still laying in the middle of the ramp. My Scott oiler which "was" mounted on and slightly under (for obvious reasons) the crash bars is now dandling around the crash bars to keep it from dangling around my foot/peg.
Oh yeah, slid across two lanes right behind the bike. Tried to do the stupid thing that we've all been warned not to do...stand up. When I put my right hand down to push myself up I was still moving, duh huh. Sooooo, those winter ski gloves I wear for heat didn't hold out to good. Still came out without a scratch, almost...tiny and I do mean tiny spot on my right hand.

'92 BMW R100R (for sale)
jmcnair828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #53
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704
Dang Jerry,

glad you're ok!

Gear can be easily replaced, skin, not so much.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #54
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
ouch!!!!

Thank dog for good gear! You may want to take a hot long bath for sore bones/muscles.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #55
NC Rick OP
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 613
Jerry, Glad your OK! lots of junk on the roads this time of year. Also, oil and gas on the pavement on ramps, I have hit unexplained slippery spots.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #56
NC Rick OP
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 613
Sunday breakfast meeting?

We are hosting a breakfast at our home and shop this Sunday morning. Love to see folks for this group show up to eat and meet. 9:00AM Sunday Feb. 1

Please call or write for directions.

raceparts (at) motocd (dot) com
(828) 628 9025
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #57
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
Yikes!

D-D-Diesel ???

Glad you are O.K.!
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #58
jmcnair828
BeemerBonz

Oddometer: 67
My lowside

Ibuprfen is a wonderful drug. The wife doesn't know about the wreck yet. I've been pondering about calling her and letting her know. My logic in that is that she'll get over it by the time I get home this evening. On the other hand when I walk in and tell her I had a wreck, since I willl still be walking she probably won't think much about it. About 5 years ago I was riding my road bike (Eddy Mercx) coming back from Brevard on 280 and an elderly lady, who apparently did not see me in my bright lime green jersey, hit me going about 45mph. The right hand mirror caught me on the left quad and knocked me and the bike off the road and luckily into the grass instead of the guard rail. Hurt like hell but no broken bones. The EMT took one look at me and told me that my thigh was not broken. He knew that because I was standing on it by the time they got there. I asked if he thought it was OK to ride the remaining 12 or 15 miles back home. He said yes. He promptly loaded me and the bike in the ambulance, took me to the top of the hill where I got out and rode home. When I got home and told the wife, she didn't believe I had been hit. It took some explaining, which is understandable, but she finally believed it. All I'll have to do to convince her this time is to show her my suit. BTW, this is a testament to the Olympia suit, which held out well but I also found out that repairs to Olympia suits are done in Hendersonville and the folks that do it put a priority on repairing Olympia suits. Cool, since I don't ride without it, I should have it back quickly. It's also a testament to working out and staying in shape. Weak bones break easily. Of course those of you who know me well know that a 215 pound water heater can still do some significant damage. I'm just glad I can laugh about all this. It's all funny in a morbid kind of way.

'92 BMW R100R (for sale)
jmcnair828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #59
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
glad you're ok and there wasn't a car/truck/bus right on your butt

any landing (plane or bike) you can walk/ride away from is a good thing, but I found out in '07 that landing just a little bit wrong even at very low speeds on assfault can have serous side effects.

ATGATT
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #60
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad it wasn't any worse.

In case you didn't know, Olympia is based in Hendersonville. You can go there and they'll happily give you material for patches. I went to a seamstress in Hendersonville to get my jacket patched (don't ask) and it cost about $50.

I'll see if I can find her info if you're interested.

Norm

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote