User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
20,000 miles on an LC4?

I see that a 60 Adventure has come up for sale near me. The price is cheep. I have always wanted one but currently have no need for one. The downside is, of course, the 20,000 miles. In these parts that's a lot for a motorcycle and I suspect even MORE for a high-strung KTM. It would be a total inputs-purchase so I'm not looking to make a lot of after-the-fact investment in the bike, just to ride it. Assuming the guy has the right answers about maintenance and stuff, is it worth $3k? Any a chilies heal to be looking out for?

Beats buying a DR650 or KLR I think.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,534
read the LC4 thread, it should answer any ?s you may have. The biggest issue I can think of, is the crank case bearing, early LC4s had a ball bearing and was later upgraded to a roller bearing. It's not a super difficult job to retrofit if it hasn't been done and 640 ADVs may have never came with that old style bearing to begin with...

20K IMO doesn't mean much. How's the bike look? It could have 20K miles of nothing but putting along the pavement, which I would be comfortable purchasing over a bike that had 5,000 miles of pure off road with the motor screaming along.

The LC4 isn't "high stung", it's definitely got WAY more power than any Japanese 650 Dual Sport but it's also not nearly as smooth because it doesn't have a counter balancer in the engine. The vibrations are the only reason I ever got rid of my LC4...

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
... It would be a total inputs-purchase so I'm not looking to make a lot of after-the-fact investment in the bike, just to ride it. ...
I had my 2001 LC4 from about 1400 miles to about 16,000 miles. I rode it hard. Here is my experience, and it did involve investments in both time and $$:

- Oil changes take an hour and I had to fabricate a special tool to put the oil in the frame.
- Valve adjustments took me about 2 hours, I'm slow
- Replaced main shaft bearing (preemptive)
- Sealed the rocker cover
- Replaced countershaft seal
- Replaced ignition cover sight glass and seal
- Rebuilt water pump
- Replaced rear suspension linkage pivot bearings
- OEM speedo/computer failed, replaced with Trailtech unit required fabrication. This is common.
- Custom seat required
- Added side stand (didn't come OEM, only center stand)
- Broken wire under dash - easy to fix, hard to troubleshoot

With 20,000 miles even if it has been kept up, you might expect (based on reading in ADVrider).

- Another water pump rebuild
- Cam/follower wear
- Auto decompressor issues
- More wiring issues

I replaced the KTM with the WR250R (and the Tiger) because I wanted to spend more time riding and less time wrenching. So far so good.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,518
My 640E has been way tougher and more reliable then my two XT's or XL600. The oil change and valve procedure is basically identical to that XL600 as far as time and difficulty. It also blows them away for power, suspension and brakes.

That said, I wouldn't buy ANY dual sport with 20k miles unless Iknew its entire history. The reason why is I have never had a dual sport go much past that without needing a major rebuild. But not everyone rides them like dirt bikes.

If my grandmother owned it I might buy a high mileage dual sport. But I wouldn't pay top dollar for it because I would be planning on a rebuild. Maybe people who roll up big highway miles will disagree with me. But my experience says trouble.

Which is why I would need to know the history. As said, they are not high strung motors. They just weren't designed by lawyers and accountants like Japanese 650's. These were premium bikes when new with premium parts and a proven engine.

I would recommend seat time to see if the vibration is an issue. It isn't for me but was for the PO.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 07-25-2014 at 02:04 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I had my 2001 LC4 from about 1400 miles to about 16,000 miles. I rode it hard. Here is my experience, and it did involve investments in both time and $$:

- Oil changes take an hour and I had to fabricate a special tool to put the oil in the frame.
- Valve adjustments took me about 2 hours, I'm slow
- Replaced main shaft bearing (preemptive)
- Sealed the rocker cover
- Replaced countershaft seal
- Replaced ignition cover sight glass and seal
- Rebuilt water pump
- Replaced rear suspension linkage pivot bearings
- OEM speedo/computer failed, replaced with Trailtech unit required fabrication. This is common.
- Custom seat required
- Added side stand (didn't come OEM, only center stand)
- Broken wire under dash - easy to fix, hard to troubleshoot
It rarely needs valve adjustment. It's not needed at every oil change. Suspension maintenance is something you have to do with any bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
With 20,000 miles even if it has been kept up, you might expect (based on reading in ADVrider).

- Another water pump rebuild
- Cam/follower wear
- Auto decompressor issues
- More wiring issues

I replaced the KTM with the WR250R (and the Tiger) because I wanted to spend more time riding and less time wrenching. So far so good.
I have more than 75,000 miles on the bike and I have never had any issues with the auto decompression system. I did change the water pump at 60,000 miles just because everyone assumes it will give troubles. It looked fine. Cam/followers I have replaced. My bike is now 14 years old and I agree it has some wiring issues. But it still runs. Wiring issues effect mostly the rev counter and computer. The wires are paper thin and insulation is getting brittle. The computer has been repaired twice at the Touratech factory.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,492
What year is the bike?

My 2005 Adventure has over 50,000km on it. It's done a fair few longish trips, a few 1000-miles-24-hours events, a few 3-hour cross-country races, trail rides and fairly gnarly adventuring. The only non-routine serving its had is:
. rocker roller bearings went before 20,000 km
. Cam cover has leaked twice
. Starter clutch packed it in
. Ignition switch wires broke under the switch
. Base gasket leaked ~40,000 km, so it had a valve clean-up job while the head was off, and water pump seal pre-emptively replaced
. Main power wire broke at the battery connection
. Headlight wire broke
. Headlight adjustment screw stripped

A pretty good run for any bike over that sort of usage, those kays and years. It's also nicer to work on than most Japanese bikes I've touched.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
It's a 2001. I think I passed on it (I never went to look at it but it's still for sale). I have a bunch of older bikes that need this or that from time to the. I realize that even if it runs like a top today a KTM with 20k miles on it is likely to need "something" sometime soon. I'm not scared of the vibrations as I used to own an enduro version of this bike for a short time. Plus this one is blue and not silver or orange. Being an impulse purchase this could quite certainly wait until I come across one with less mileage and in a color that I like better.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote