Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #136
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
ADVrider < the world...
More like...

ADVrider + ThumperTalk + KiwiBiker + Personal knowledge < the world...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #137
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
It's also possible that they arrived here after googling "third gear DR650" (or some similar search terms) AFTER they had a problem??? Maybe?
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
More like...

ADVrider + ThumperTalk + KiwiBiker + Personal knowledge < the world...
We'll have to remember to allow for people who're members of more than one of those sets.

;)

We're digressing. My point -- not to be taken too seriously -- was that we can't realistically compare the number of bikes on that list with the total number of DR650s ever sold, worldwide.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #138
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
also would like to see a list of rider weights & how they use the bike (ie. ride it hard like a dirtbike or dualsport it) to see if heavy guys or those who ride em hard have any factor in breaking this part.
I'm probably 90kg all-up, in my gear. I don't ride hard, I ride an almost stock bike, which was maintained exclusively by Suzuki mechanics at the recommended service intervals for the first 30,000km of its life, (the two year warranty period, basically.) I now look after my 650 myself: serviced to spec, weekly check & lube.

I've dropped it once, and the fact that I hit the gear lever hard enough to bend the shaft is the only reason I'm not on the phone to Suzuki right now, asking them to comp me a replacement 3rd gear.

All of which said, I'll repair this one, no hard feelings. It's just about nudged the RVF400RR down from "Best Bike I've Ever Owned".

What a sucker.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #139
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
We're digressing. My point -- not to be taken too seriously -- was that we can't realistically compare the number of bikes on that list with the total number of DR650s ever sold, worldwide.
Yep, it's a point I've had to make several times in the various threads when someone's jumped in boots and all and gone off about the "shit gearboxes" or that I "shouldn't be posting these negative rumours".

I think one testament is that most who have had a blow-up, still ride a DR650
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #140
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
I know of at least 5 cases on the German DR forum, there are probably a few more.

Should I round up the years, kms and names etc?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #141
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
I know of at least 5 cases on the German DR forum, there are probably a few more.

Go for it.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #142
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
so I'm waiting for you to send that list to suzuki so that they feel sorry for me and give me a new bike.

Hurry up will ya I'm starting to miss my big pig.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #143
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
kind of thought this might be of interest to everyone here. these photos are of a 2003 DR with 68,000km. the engine strip down was inspired by 5th gear so i decided 3rd would get replaced while it was in pieces. the gear on the left is the 2003 part, the one on the right the updated one. dimensionally they are identical.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #144
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,144
Here in NA, the showroom appeal of the KLR650, saddled with it's "apparently high tech and sophisticated wc/dohc motor", means that it's about all you tend to see on the road, being that seen through the same eyes the DR650 appears air cooled and ancient, with not half the oem included accessories/perks...
Home run Kawasaki !

The potential purchasers of bikes in this economical, low output catagory of large displacement dualsports, are quite often extremely uninformed and inexperienced. Will the ongoing reporting of catastrophic transmission failures, on the world's biggest mc adventure website continue to add to the market allure of the KLR650, some of us would think yes, in a big way.

My take on the matter, if ridden hard as a primary offroad bike and serviced with frugality in mind, ie; average quality dino motor oil and economically long/modern oil change intervals, I wouldn't look to break any world records in reaching phenominal high mileage use, without a hiccup in the transmission's overworked 3rd gear setup.

With the serious usage this bike receives in regions like NZ/AUS, hard wrung examples with trans failures, will show up on the radar far more often. You sensible folks purchase more DR650's than the KLR's, because it's a good bike, lighter, simpler and easier to service than the KLR, which benefits a serious adventure/dualsport rider.

The design parameters of this last generation DR650, remind me a little of Ducati's early efforts with their wc/dohc twins. The foundation of those early superbikes was still based basically, on a stretched to the max Pantah motor foundation. If their necks were wrung hard, problems would surface somewhat earlier than hoped/expected.

So the next time you're carrying a wheelie through the lower gears, or really enjoying always downshifting with vigour whether it's truly needed or not, remember you're dealing with a 69 Bonnie's displacement, all wrapped up into a air/oil cooled unit construction single cyl dualsport and that you wouldn't expect to get 140,000 kms, out of a hard used CRF, RMF or KXF either... It's easy to show a transmission a little compassion; superior oil types, oil change intervals determined by usage requirements, rather than frugality and just how hard you wring the neck of this 367 lb jewel of a dualsport.

Kawasaki just loves this thread !

996DL

Just babying my DR650...

996DL screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 05:52 PM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #145
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
blackcap - is that '03 gear used? It looks brand new, with no apparent wear on the teeth, dogs, or splines at all. Just curious.
Visually, I can see no difference, but there could be a hardening or treatment difference. Do these two gears have different part numbers?
FYI - When I replaced 3rd gear in my '86 XR, with the new gear from XR's Only, the upgraded part was noticeably beefier than the (broken) part I took out.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #146
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Kawasaki just loves this thread !
It's OK with me. Keeps the cost reasonable I guess. I'll venture that if they ever do a DR redesign that the problems will actually get completely fixed... unlike a certain oil burning doohicky spring stretching bike. Jabs aside, I could personally give a crap about popularity vs the KLR. DR's aren't exactly going nywhere and they're a lot more different than folks initially realize. The differences become readily apparent as soon as you turn off the pavement and for my needs theres way more than enough aftermarket for this bike.

I've always thought of the KLR owners as financially sensible and mildly frustrated GS owners.... but in a good way.... shrug..

EDIT:

And I've thought of DR owners more as financially sensible and mildly frustrated KTM LC4 owners.... but in a good way... shrug..
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #147
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
i'd call the pre mid 03 base gasket failures
i'd call the lossening NSU screws failures

and i would not describe those as "easy" fixes.
easy fixes are does not require the motor to be disassy in any sorta way.
you're a highly qualified mechanic...most are not.

Quote:
Well, I don't agree. You don't see (m)any DRs breaking because the bearings wear out, the crank spreads, the lifter bearings break etc like you do on other bikes. Except for easily fixeable stuff like the NSU bolts or the metal base gasket, 3rd gear remains the single Achilles heal of this engine.

So yes, I would call it a defect - whether it is a generally insufficiently strong part or a few badly manufactured ones I don't know.

Do you recall any Bill? You have been following the threads here and on Thumpertalk, just like Nordie, Django and me. Very few owners manage to wear them out, and even fewer ones have catastrophic failures (other than 3rd gear).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #148
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm
blackcap - is that '03 gear used? It looks brand new, with no apparent wear on the teeth, dogs, or splines at all. Just curious.
Visually, I can see no difference, but there could be a hardening or treatment difference. Do these two gears have different part numbers?
FYI - When I replaced 3rd gear in my '86 XR, with the new gear from XR's Only, the upgraded part was noticeably beefier than the (broken) part I took out.
is see wear marks in several areas.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #149
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:

i'm guessing older bikes with higher mileage (the the DR dropped outta the Euro lineup awhile ago) and possibly run at higher bahn speeds.
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #150
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm
68000km on the transmaission that that gear came from. both different part numbers.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote