Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #811
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
how many 790-kitted dr's are there around? ten? twenty? five? curious how many folks have done this.
There's about 60 of the 780/790s out there in the world and another 40 or so 725s.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #812
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
I've got an expansion chamber off a ktm 300 in the shed should i fit that?

will i need to do some jetting changes to go with the new oil and exspansion chamber?
If you fit 'that' kind of expansion chamber, you wont need any gears except first!!

Its gonna be lethal!!

You wont need jets either, just take them out and fit a big tank, the mothers gonna suck bulk fuel!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!

Bigem screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 04:16 AM
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #813
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
If you fit 'that' kind of expansion chamber, you wont need any gears except first!!

Its gonna be lethal!!

You wont need jets either, just take them out and fit a big tank, the mothers gonna suck bulk fuel!
i get the impression your not taking this seriously
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #814
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
i get the impression your not taking this seriously
Sorry, I have removed the 'non serious' portion of the other post! am serious now!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #815
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
I've got an expansion chamber off a ktm 300 in the shed should i fit that?

will i need to do some jetting changes to go with the new oil and exspansion chamber?
probly have to use the carb off the same bike to get it to work properly
you should also be able to move the powerband around by changing exhaust valve springs
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #816
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I had a 2010 blow third gear with about 11,000 miles on the bike. I purchased the bike in 2010 and i think it was a left over 2009. I've owned 2 DR's and love the bike but this 3rd gear blow up is much more common then what people say on this forum. Many of these failures go un -reported. I think the percentage is much hgher then is being reported on this or any forum.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #817
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgrichard View Post
I had a 2010 blow third gear with about 11,000 miles on the bike. I purchased the bike in 2010 and i think it was a left over 2009. I've owned 2 DR's and love the bike but this 3rd gear blow up is much more common then what people say on this forum. Many of these failures go un -reported. I think the percentage is much hgher then is being reported on this or any forum.
The list here is culled from confirmed info from only about 3 different forums.

Of the DR owners on those forums, it's still a very low percentage.

The percentage here is probably higher than the worldwide percentage as Oz has the highest percentage of failures but the rest of the world has a higher percentage of bikes...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #818
pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Soooo......has any one fitted the aftermarket 3rd gear set developed and sold by procycle, and a report back ?

pzs
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #819
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Ok , i've been looking in on this chapter for the last month or 6 and just recently started planning my Africa trip.....France to Gambia or possibly further ( money depending) on my 1996 with 43k kms

So i been thinking of splitting the motor and fitting a new 3rd gear weather it needs it or not , BUT what about the rest of the gears and where do you stop ? Do the whole Motor ? or just buy a newer/new one

Cheers Phil
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #820
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Ok , i've been looking in on this chapter for the last month or 6 and just recently started planning my Africa trip.....France to Gambia or possibly further ( money depending) on my 1996 with 43k kms

So i been thinking of splitting the motor and fitting a new 3rd gear weather it needs it or not , BUT what about the rest of the gears and where do you stop ? Do the whole Motor ? or just buy a newer/new one

Cheers Phil
Id have the valves redone, change the rings, change the shift forks and 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. Maybe even change the countershaft bearing. You can be the guinea pig that tries the 3rd gear from Nova Racing that is made from billet steel instead of the powdered cheap crap that Suzuki saves money with, but noone knows if that will actually fix it.

I personally wish the shift forks were remade beefier than stock. Its hard to justify tearing it down for 3rd gear only to wonder if the shift forks will just explode 5th gear anyways. Im still considering it before my trip. If it goes on my trip, the trip is over. People say it is a fluke and all that, but I tend to believe it is under-reported. The ride report by TwoMotorKiwis has tales of a failed 3rd, the RR above where the DR blew 3rd in South America, I could SWEAR there is another RR where a guy blew 3rd rolling solo in South America, etc. Im going to do all I can to lessen the load on the transmission, but it shouldnt have to be that way..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #821
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

As long as you've got the torque limiter starter cog, then replacing the 3rd gear pair and maybe the shift forks + metal base gasket would be all.

Even a genuine Suzuki gear pair would be good for 30-60,000km.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #822
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Looking at the pics of the 4th gear that failed, it's got gold coloured inclusions the same as my 3rd ones which I assumed were from hitting the conrod but 4th shouldn't have hit it. Imperfections in the sintering process?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #823
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Cheers for the input guys , thing is i can get another DR with loads less kms for around 2000 and end up with lots of spares , may go this way as stripping the motor and rebuild is going to cost a shilling or two !!!!!

Like folk have said before nobody know which engine is going to pop !!!! I bought my DR with 16k on it and done 27k trouble free in deserts, mountains and LONG ......3000 kms road in 3 days, had to get back to the UK as my farther was dying , never missed a beat 130 kph (80mph) all the way

I've got plenty of time to gather as much info as poss and this is the best place to get it

Cheers all
Phil
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #824
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
With the DR650 thread being one of adv's most popular, it's only logical that this thread exists. Easily one of the most prime examples, of internet mc forum fear mongering.

When I swapped out my 08 DR650 with a friend's DRZ400SM one time, I expected much more buzziness at hwy speeds, substancially less roll on torque etc., the only thing that stood out was the rigidity of it's usd forks.

If the internet Chicken Little scenario is too overwhelming, substitute a DRZ variant, other than blue locktiting a few internal motor items, even the internet hasn't been able to highlight ANY weaknesses with it's reliability. Problem solved, RTW types...

The two oldest Suzuki dealers I know, have both never dealt with a DR650 transmission failure in countless decades, of selling the brand.
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #825
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
With the DR650 thread being one of adv's most popular, it's only logical that this thread exists. Easily one of the most prime examples, of internet mc forum fear mongering.

When I swapped out my 08 DR650 with a friend's DRZ400SM one time, I expected much more buzziness at hwy speeds, substancially less roll on torque etc., the only thing that stood out was the rigidity of it's usd forks.

If the internet Chicken Little scenario is too overwhelming, substitute a DRZ variant, other than blue locktiting a few internal motor items, even the internet hasn't been able to highlight ANY weaknesses with it's reliability. Problem solved, RTW types...

The two oldest Suzuki dealers I know, have both never dealt with a DR650 transmission failure in countless decades, of selling the brand.
sooo ... third gear failures in America are a myth?

gotta admit because of this thread, would not even consider owning a DR650.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote