Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #976
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,847
One of them safari dr's also broke its frame near the swing arm pivot.

These dr650's really are heaps of shit
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #977
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You need to check out some of the videos posted by our NZ and Oz brothers ... and ask Nordie boy about the sort or trails they ride down there. From what I've seen, a lot tougher than AK. Also, some guys down under are racing DR's, running moto cross races on them.

Alaska is a cakewalk by comparison to anything these guys are doing. AK is ALL roads ... mostly paved now, with some graded gravel roads. My buddy rode it on his Gold Wing 2 years ago ... with his wife on the back. No trails unless you get way off the beaten path. I rode AK in the 80's on a R80GS. Roads were worse back then ... I had no problems at all except for a few stretches of mud. On tour you won't be doing any hard riding. You'll be too loaded up for that.
I leave in 1.5 months. I first go to Moab where I will mess around on trails out there. For anything serious, I will be dropping my load somewhere. Then Alaska around middle of June. Then back into CONUS down the CDT into Colorado where I will drop my load and go exploring for a few weeks. Then through the plains into northern Wisconsin/Michigan into Canada again, and then down new england during fall on my way back to Pensacola. I may not make it that far- I dont like to chain myself with plans and deadlines, but we'll see. So, this trip of mine isnt just "cakewalk" Alaska. I ride my DR like a 50/50 dual sport- this is a problem that legitimately worries me due to how the Aussies like to break DRs doing the same thing. I get the impression that DRs dont have more gearbox issues due to the fact that half or more of them see commuter duty and maybe some dirt roads from time to time- I ride it on trails and two-track. Not much singletrack where I am, but im young and in good shape so its going to have to do that too.

I just dont get all the vitriol directed towards the critics of the DRs flaws. The fact is, the DR650 seems to me the BEST dual sport bike that can handle both road and dirt (if youre in good shape or have skills) and still use cheap gas. I think the WR250R is the best overall, but I wouldnt want to use one in South America where im getting fuel out of bags. The DR would be a PERFECT bike for me were Suzuki to just, I dont know, fix the damn gearbox- they certainly had no problems raising the price this year. But the gearbox? Nah, let em blow.

To the people suggesting I watch out for cars and animals and all that, yeah, I know. Ive been reading as much as I can about areas where different animals are, their behaviors, etc. And even then, I may very well hit an animal or get taken out by a cage. In my opinion, that is a red herring- of course we all need to be careful of animals and cages, but that doesnt change the reality of the DRs gearbox issues.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #978
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You sure about that?

I know a DR came 3rd one year, but I thought that was the only time one was at the pointy end of the field (I'm running from memory here, it was a VSM preped DR).
VSM prepped 5 for 96-97 and all finished in the top 10.
According to the VSM home page, down the bottom.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #979
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
reading comprehension? I clearly stated NO LC4's.
Read my posts mate.

Good to hear. After reading some of the LC4 threads (see links in post 966) listing LC4 problems and a few build threads. Way too much to deal with. You guys are clearly all
professional mechanics ... and more power to ya! Not all of us have Milling machines, Lathes, and Tig Welder in our shed ... nor are we able to buy $$$$ in special tools.
Great to see the loyalty and enthusiasm towards the LC4's. But I left all that behind in the 70's when I sold off my old Triumph Desert sleds and flat tracker bikes and bought a reliable Jap bike.
Don't forget your on your 3RD DR 650, what happened to your second? I know that your first one had a catastrophic failure... In my books that represents a 33 1/3 % failure rate with your reliable Jap bikes...

It is great you have brand loyalty and find DR 650 to be the Holy Grail, obviously the bike suits your riding style... I gather that you are not mechanical minded as you stated that you sold your blown up DR with out even checking the reason behind it's engine meltdown...

The difference between us is if that had happened to me I would of likely torn that engine apart and rebuilt it, because yes, I have tools and am mechanical minded... One of the best things a traveler could do in prep for years of travel is to tear their engine completely apart and rebuild it from scratch... This takes the mystery out of the inner workings and will provide you with the in depth knowledge to be able to tackle any problem that arises.. Of coarse if you own a DR this would be a waste of time because they never break due to their Japanese origin, unless you buy one in Australia which has been assembled with Chinese and North Korean parts...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:13 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #980
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
VSM prepped 5 for 96-97 and all finished in the top 10.
According to the VSM home page, down the bottom.
I only knew of the one that came third, but as I said, I was going by memory.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #981
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,069
I just checked the safari book and in 96 Robert Gronlund from Sweden put a DR650 into 3rd overall behind Hendrecs on a XR600 and Glenn Hoffmann on a KTM 620EGS.

in 97 Michael Shearer put his DR650 in 3rd as well, behind Haydon on a 640 and Sinderberry on an XR600.

So you were more correct than me.

Edit, I just read the bit you were talking about on the VSM website and it does indeed state that they got a second overall in 96 and 3rd in 97...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).

tHEtREV screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 02:06 AM
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #982
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I will put my hand up as the next guy who blows up a DR. Has my DR seen deep sand, many times. Has my DR seen mx tracks yup, and bottomed hard enough to leave skid plate marks.

Does my bike miss shifts when riding hard and shifting into 3rd. Yup.

Is this going to be the first bike I have lunched a trans in. Nope. And it won't be the the last.

Am I scared to keep riding it? No way. When my dream of riding to South America comes true it will probably be on the DR.

I owned a KLR. Too much of pig offroad. The new Terra is just as heavy. IMHO the 640 is higher maintenance and sucks on the highway and the 690 too expensive. For me, as a multiple bike owner, the DR fits its niche perfectly.

I am hoping this thread scares off a bunch of DR owners and drops the price on used bikes and parts so I can fix mine for even cheaper than it already is.
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #983
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
I will put my hand up as the next guy who blows up a DR. Has my DR seen deep sand, many times. Has my DR seen mx tracks yup, and bottomed hard enough to leave skid plate marks.
Does my bike miss shifts when riding hard and shifting into 3rd. Yup.
Is this going to be the first bike I have lunched a trans in. Nope. And it won't be the the last.
Am I scared to keep riding it? No way. When my dream of riding to South America comes true it will probably be on the DR.
I owned a KLR. Too much of pig offroad. The new Terra is just as heavy. IMHO the 640 is higher maintenance and sucks on the highway and the 690 too expensive. For me, as a multiple bike owner, the DR fits its niche perfectly.
I am hoping this thread scares off a bunch of DR owners and drops the price on used bikes and parts so I can fix mine for even cheaper than it already is.
Not much chance of scaring off potential DR riders. Over the last 10 years the numbers just going up.
Speaking of rallies ... here is a fun read. Airborne Andy rode his DR in the Baja 1000 ... then turned round and rode to all through S. America.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...R650+Baja+1000

And just few other recent major tours starring the DR650 ... there are lots more out there if you look around:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=DR650+Baja
Jammin Jay
Big Al Smith
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...50+Baja&page=3
Jedi Master S. America
Lars from Joberg (girl friend riding DR650)
Airborne Andy
evermore

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=jedimaster
JediMaster N. America
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #984
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Speaking of rallies ... here is a fun read. Airborne Andy rode his DR in the Baja 1000 ... then turned round and rode to all through S. America.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...R650+Baja+1000
Then sold it, got an XR650R and did it again.
Then sold that and bought his old DR back again
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #985
cedestech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Apparently I am part of the club.... 17K and crunch..... It's F/S now....

Here is the DR forum link....

http://drriders.com/topic8267.html

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #986
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Rear wheel locked up..........

Nothing to see here.. move along.

Absolutely no excuse for this as more than a fluke. 1 in 1000 or 1 in 500 isn't good enough.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #987
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
Apparently I am part of the club.... 17K and crunch..... It's F/S now....

Here is the DR forum link....

http://drriders.com/topic8267.html

17k miles or km?
What year?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #988
cedestech
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
17k miles or km?
What year?
Miles. 2003. 99.9% street miles.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #989
cedestech
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Rear wheel locked up..........

Nothing to see here.. move along.

Absolutely no excuse for this as more than a fluke. 1 in 1000 or 1 in 500 isn't good enough.

Yeah, I would agree but out of warranty is out of warranty.... Mine was at 30 MPH and straight up at least.... Still sucks.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #990
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Have you confirmed it's 3rd?