Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #1006
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I'm posting this from Idaho. I took a Dr650 because its the bike I have. I still worry about the gearbox every day. Hasn't given me a problem yet, and the closer I get to Alaska the better I figure my odds are that I'll make it there and around there. If it blows after that I'll be pissed, but at least i saw alaska. Its been a blast. Before you ask, I've changed the oil myself using full synthetic Suzuki oil under 1000 miles every time. I'm running lower gearing and I'm only carrying 50 pounds of crap. I love the bike... so long as it keeps running. I figure all I've done will help lessen the odds as nearly all the bike planning has been based on being easy to the gearbox. It shouldn't have to be that way- if I had a WR I wouldnt have to worry, but then I couldn't do 70 uphill in a headwind at 4k feet either.

I am struggling with a RR. I've been writing one but not posting. I don't think I have much to offer that others haven't already shared. Snowrider for instance. I'm no great writer or photographer.

Somehow, perhaps being cynical, I feel the only reason you asked was to point out implicitly that I'm going cross country on a DR, or to imply I'm all talk if I wasn't going. Sorry if that's too cynical, but I'm used to being attacked on what I feel is a fanboy excuse thread instead of a "Suzuki fix your shit you cheap bastards" thread.
It doesnt have to be that way,Your reading this thread too much,relax and ride the stupid thing,it's only a bike and any bike can quit at any time for any reason.

If every DR rider chimed in who put 60 or 70,000 or more miles on these bikes with 0 problems this thread would be very large indeed.

Or sell it and buy a BMW,certainly never any problems with those.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #1007
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
I'm posting this from Idaho. I took a Dr650 because its the bike I have. I still worry about the gearbox every day. Hasn't given me a problem yet, and the closer I get to Alaska the better I figure my odds are that I'll make it there and around there. If it blows after that I'll be pissed, but at least i saw alaska. Its been a blast. Before you ask, I've changed the oil myself using full synthetic Suzuki oil under 1000 miles every time. I'm running lower gearing and I'm only carrying 50 pounds of crap. I love the bike... so long as it keeps running. I figure all I've done will help lessen the odds as nearly all the bike planning has been based on being easy to the gearbox. It shouldn't have to be that way- if I had a WR I wouldnt have to worry, but then I couldn't do 70 uphill in a headwind at 4k feet either.

I am struggling with a RR. I've been writing one but not posting. I don't think I have much to offer that others haven't already shared. Snowrider for instance. I'm no great writer or photographer.

Somehow, perhaps being cynical, I feel the only reason you asked was to point out implicitly that I'm going cross country on a DR, or to imply I'm all talk if I wasn't going. Sorry if that's too cynical, but I'm used to being attacked on what I feel is a fanboy excuse thread instead of a "Suzuki fix your shit you cheap bastards" thread.
I would not change the oil so often. Just make sure you use motorcycle type oil. I change oil at 3000 miles with a petroleum based oil, using a synthetic oil I would change at 6000 miles, or more. You are throwing away good oil. This is just my opinion.

There are more DR650's with no gearbox problems that bad ones, so just have a good time.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1008
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
It doesnt have to be that way,Your reading this thread too much,relax and ride the stupid thing,it's only a bike and any bike can quit at any time for any reason.

If every DR rider chimed in who put 60 or 70,000 or more miles on these bikes with 0 problems this thread would be very large indeed.

Or sell it and buy a BMW,certainly never any problems with those.
Even a KTM 690 with its myriad of odd and annoying problems doesn't suffer a engine+gearbox go bye bye at least anywhere near as often. We have two more folks that just had the drs weak gearbox go boom- the one you told me "ferchristsakes" on and one an hour and a half before your post telling me of all the successful drs (many nothing but street queens). There are some we are pretty sure (we being the collective in this thread) were 3rd gear blowups, but they will NEVER be on this thread because they were sold away, etc. Then we get into all the Drs that blow gearboxes that we don't even know about.

But you go ahead and keep defending Suzuki and its stalwart dependability with the Dr650.. I'll continue considering the very real possibility that mine could blow and take my life in the process. To ignore that reality is fucking stupid and is a classic sign of fanboyism.

I'll say it again in case any of you didn't hear me the first million times: any problem that threatens the life of the rider and is more than a fluke is complete and total bullshit that should not be accepted. Your acceptance is exactly what corporations, like Suzuki, like- shut up, give us your money and either die or deal with whatever is fucked up after our product fails to deliver. Suzuki even fails at failing predictably.

Next step is to have me banned from the forums or warned by a moderator that my criticisms or bitching or whining is not welcome. Sad part? I'm gambling (albeit with good odds) with my life on a dr650 because I'm too broke to do anything else.

My next bike will be an xr650l, wr290r or a drz400. Prolly not the drz because fuck suzuki- especially when they raised the price on the Dr without even using loctite on the nsu screws "ferchrissakes"

Cheers on the BMW comments.. they are bad too with the forks breaking away from the front wheel etc. I personally will never own anything bmw.. too much expense and still many problems
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #1009
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
I would not change the oil so often. Just make sure you use motorcycle type oil. I change oil at 3000 miles with a petroleum based oil, using a synthetic oil I would change at 6000 miles, or more. You are throwing away good oil. This is just my opinion.

There are more DR650's with no gearbox problems that bad ones, so just have a good time.
I change oil based on a smooth shifting gearbox. Perhaps I am changing it too often, but shifting improves and we all know by now what my primary preservation aim is-gearbox.

That said, 3k miles is too much with the dirt riding I do. My oil is dark by 1k miles, and the compression checks good and I clean the air filter regularly (twin air with belray air filter oil worked in but not wrung out so as to tear the filter) so it isn't blow by (or at least an excessive amount). Its prolly minute fragments of gear, clutch material, etc.

This last section through Oregon and Washington is the most pavement I've done since I've owned this bike. Everyone seems to look at these as street bikes- am I the only one left tempting fate running the piss out of it on dirt?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1010
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
The DR650 has been much more reliable than my past bikes, two of those left me stranded, a KTM and a Honda and even my 07 FJR had major electrical issues. Thankfully we have many choices on what to ride.

If you don't trust the DR650, try a KLR650 or BMW.... I've yet to have a 100% reliable bike, the DR650 has been the most reliable so far though.

As my 2007 ages I'm happy with it. Its lasted longer than expected, reading this thread made me think it would never make 15,000 miles, its way past that now and I beat the hell out of mine. I've gotten more bang from my buck with the DR650 than any other bike I've owned. Two people have learned to shift on it, so it has been abused.

I like to change oil around 3,000 miles because the shifting gets "less smooth" by then. So, I'm in the same boat there, let the transmission tell you when to change oil. My DR650 always liked a synthetic 10w40 best. I get what ever name brand oil is on sale and stock up when I can. Lots of guys around here have 40 to 50,000 miles on their DR650's. I doubt I will get up that high, but it gives me hope that I can.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 03:11 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #1011
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I feel you've overreacted to the 3rd gear issue ... but you're not alone. You can believe what you want ... free country. But just don't forget the FACTS and the HISTORY.

I don't care what reactionary imaginings you chose to believe ...

but I do care about you ... and wish you a Safe and Fun trip. I hate it when fellow riders get hurt ... or worse. Getting out there doing cross country is an awesome challenge ....Big Kudos! ... and we don't need no stinkin' ride report to give you big ups for getting out there and doin' it.

BTW, I've never done a Ride Report on ADV Rider Even though I'm a professional moto writer ... and get paid for every article I've ever written .. for 20 years. ADV doesn't pay much ... so why bother? You're right, AK has been covered 9 ways to Sunday. Hard to top the hundreds of well written, innovative reports already here.

What will you do when your DR650 gets past 50,000 miles and ... still ... that pesky gear box hasn't bombed out?
You could always toss a few nuts and bolts into the oil to be "right" ... and make your premonition come true. Boy, now that would really convince Suzuki to step up and fix the problem!

Rubber Side Down! ... and may the Gear Box Gremlins stay in Australia!
If it gets past 50k, I'll sell it being sure any potential buyer sees this thread and never look back as I purchase a bike that doesn't have an unpredictable, completely catastrophic, and potentially fatal problem that still exists because Suzuki is too cheap to fix or try to fix it... but certainly willing to raise the price to make more money
Old 05-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #1012
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The DR650 has been much more reliable than my past bikes, two of those left me stranded, a KTM and a Honda and even my 07 FJR had major electrical issues. Thankfully we have many choices on what to ride.

If you don't trust the DR650, try a KLR650 or BMW.... I've yet to have a 100% reliable bike, the DR650 has been the most reliable so far though.

As my 2007 ages I'm happy with it. Its lasted longer than expected, reading this thread made me think it would never make 15,000 miles, its way past that now and I beat the hell out of mine. I've gotten more bang from my buck with the DR650 than any other bike I've owned. Two people have learned to shift on it, so it has been abused.

I like to change oil around 3,000 miles because the shifting gets "less smooth" by then. So, I'm in the same boat there, let the transmission tell you when to change oil. My DR650 always liked a synthetic 10w40 best. I get what ever name brand oil is on sale and stock up when I can.
You've mentioned the only two I won't buy

Its a shame really. Its more on account of principle that I get another bike. The dr650 is perfect for me in just about every way.. but I don't support a company that places money above life. Sadly, that will leave me in a cardboard box before too long. Since noone has the balls to stand up to corporations (or the money since everyone keeps funding them), they all head down this path
Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #1013
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I do not own my 1996 DR650 any more. I sold it to my brother. While I had it, I stumbled across this thread, and it made me nervous. I started paying very close attention to the gearbox, and to shifting in particular. To date, the bike has no problems that I am aware of.
A long time ago, I rebuilt my first motorcycle transmission. It was a Zundapp 125. When I split the cases, well, I was just amazed at how it worked, and how all of those small parts were able to take such a beating (or not). Ever since that experience, I have always treated my transmissions with care. I try to make each shift as quick and positive as I can, without intruding too much into the riding experience. I stopped "banging" and hammering gears, and dropping downshifts like I had full factory support. Those little drive dogs, gears, and forks can only take so much, and, like door hinges, they wear out over time.
So, to all who have *not* dropped their DR650 transmission I say - Ride well. Enjoy the experience, but keep in the back of your mind that the parts transferring power to your rear wheel are rather small, and delicate. Keep your shifts "clean", and ride without worry.
I now have a new KTM, and a new V-Strom 650, and I have a whole bunch of new things to worry about - not excluding the transmissions on both.
JMO.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1014
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
I like to change oil around 3,000 miles because the shifting gets "less smooth" by then. So, I'm in the same boat there, let the transmission tell you when to change oil. My DR650 always liked a synthetic 10w40 best. I get what ever name brand oil is on sale and stock up when I can.
I just ran out of the last Mobil 1 15w-50 I bought when I heard it was being discontinued (2005)
I do like full synthetic and I won't pay the price for a motorcycle specific oil. Oil and filter at 3500 miles.
Quote:
Lots of guys around here have 40 to 50,000 miles on their DR650's.
They do?!?! Oh, wait.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I do not own my 1996 DR650 any more. I sold it to my brother. While I had it, I stumbled across this thread, and it made me nervous. I started paying very close attention to the gearbox, and to shifting in particular. To date, the bike has no problems that I am aware of.
A long time ago, I rebuilt my first motorcycle transmission. It was a Zundapp 125. When I split the cases, well, I was just amazed at how it worked, and how all of those small parts were able to take such a beating (or not). Ever since that experience, I have always treated my transmissions with care. I try to make each shift as quick and positive as I can, without intruding too much into the riding experience. I stopped "banging" and hammering gears, and dropping downshifts like I had full factory support. Those little drive dogs, gears, and forks can only take so much, and, like door hinges, they wear out over time.
So, to all who have *not* dropped their DR650 transmission I say - Ride well. Enjoy the experience, but keep in the back of your mind that the parts transferring power to your rear wheel are rather small, and delicate. Keep your shifts "clean", and ride without worry.
I now have a new KTM, and a new V-Strom 650, and I have a whole bunch of new things to worry about - not excluding the transmissions on both.
JMO.
Dayem, that is very well written. Even when I raced, I was 'mechanically sympathetic'. If I broke the darn thing I had to fix it.

Many years ago someone asked A J Foyt why Danny Ongais was so much faster than other drivers? And early in the race he was usually toward the front. Until he broke something.

A J snapped back "First ya gotta finish, before ya can finish first."

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #1015
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
I'll continue considering the very real possibility that mine could blow and take my life in the process. To ignore that reality is fucking stupid and is a classic sign of fanboyism.

I'll say it again in case any of you didn't hear me the first million times...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #1016
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post

996DL

GSF1200S
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #1017
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:

GSF1200S
maybe it is time you sell that pos dr650 of yours. if not, stop freaking whining already; jeez. everyone here knows how you feel about this.

imo, the dr650 is no worse than any other motorcycle, and better than most, when it comes to reliability, and/or "known" issues that are problem areas. and, motorcycling isn't the safest activity - you're more likely to have a fatal incident from something other than a 3rd gear failure. in fact, afaik, there have not been any fatalities related to this failure mode.

at least i have the pleasure of knowing you are so freaking neurotic about it, that it impedes on the enjoyment of your ride!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #1018
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
I personally am aware of 3 DR650 transmission failures right here in my little podunk town. Two were the same person (and riding friend) and the other, one of the owners of a prominent body shop. Neither of these guys beat on their bikes. But, these don't count because they're not members of ADVrider--and I understand and agree with that.
But that just goes to show you, really, just how many have grenaded that we aren't aware of?

And my friend with the 2 DRs? He's on his 3rd now. He loves them. All of them were bought new...
Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #1019
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post

And my friend with the 2 DRs? He's on his 3rd now. He loves them. All of them were bought new...
At least he's building a solid case to sue Suzuki over for the rest of us.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1020
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Even a KTM 690 with its myriad of odd and annoying problems doesn't suffer a engine+gearbox go bye bye at least anywhere near as often. We have two more folks that just had the drs weak gearbox go boom- the one you told me "ferchristsakes" on and one an hour and a half before your post telling me of all the successful drs (many nothing but street queens). There are some we are pretty sure (we being the collective in this thread) were 3rd gear blowups, but they will NEVER be on this thread because they were sold away, etc. Then we get into all the Drs that blow gearboxes that we don't even know about.

But you go ahead and keep defending Suzuki and its stalwart dependability with the Dr650.. I'll continue considering the very real possibility that mine could blow and take my life in the process. To ignore that reality is fucking stupid and is a classic sign of fanboyism.

I'll say it again in case any of you didn't hear me the first million times: any problem that threatens the life of the rider and is more than a fluke is complete and total bullshit that should not be accepted. Your acceptance is exactly what corporations, like Suzuki, like- shut up, give us your money and either die or deal with whatever is fucked up after our product fails to deliver. Suzuki even fails at failing predictably.

Next step is to have me banned from the forums or warned by a moderator that my criticisms or bitching or whining is not welcome. Sad part? I'm gambling (albeit with good odds) with my life on a dr650 because I'm too broke to do anything else.

My next bike will be an xr650l, wr290r or a drz400. Prolly not the drz because fuck suzuki- especially when they raised the price on the Dr without even using loctite on the nsu screws "ferchrissakes"

Cheers on the BMW comments.. they are bad too with the forks breaking away from the front wheel etc. I personally will never own anything bmw.. too much expense and still many problems
You should consider staying home with the drapes drawn and watching TV news.
There's danger everywhere and your dwelling on it.
If your so sure your DR will explode,why do you ride it?

Mine runs smooth and I dont worry a lick about it.