Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1051
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
I have heard that argument before. Oh yeah I used it. Hope it works better for you than me.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #1052
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Will you guys just stop the bitching and go but a ktm 690
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #1053
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
And put up with all the gremlins and failures? No way.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #1054
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
butt?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #1055
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,005
bikey go boom!

2005 DR650, 12,400 mles, treated with love and affection.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #1056
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
2005 DR650, 12,400 mles, treated with love and affection.
Is that your bike there Andy? Wha' happen?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #1057
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
From ADv Grifter: Is that your bike there Andy? Wha' happen?

It is my bike. I guess I'll take the leftovers and make a downhill racer. Here is the note I posted 3 or 4 pages ago (before I started opening the engine).

2005 DR650, 12000 miles, rode hard but not put away wet -

I was at the end of a 200 mile trip from home to Bryson City, NC. The last 50 miles was at 60mph. As I took the ramp off Exit 67, Highway 74. I herd a loud crunch (or crack) and lost power - the motor was still running. I tried the gearshift but it seemed to be locked up. I coasted the 1/2 mile down to the hill to the gas station at Highway 19. When I got off the bike I found a broken chain and the transmission seemed to be locked. I removed sprocket cover and was able to get the sprocket to turn and the gear shifter to work. A friend (thanks Big Don) brought me a chain, and I tried to ride the bike. It cranked OK, went into first gear, then the trans locked as I tried to pull away. I gracefully stepped off the bike as it tipped over in the parking lot. After that, the bike would not start and the starter would not turn. While rolling the bike around the lot, I discovered that there was no 5th gear. Bike is home now waiting for some wrench love. I am going to read through this thread some more to try an learn from the experience of others. I am inclined to try and do the rebuild myself. I would appreciate some advice about finding the best parts. I would also like to hear what others have spent on the repair.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #1058
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Thanks for the Tip Joe. BTW, how many KTM's have you owned? How many years have you been riding KTM's? How many total miles/kms. on them?

When I first started seeing KTM 4 strokes running in Enduros it was the early 1990's. Few made it through the event. Of course the two strokes had no such problems. Yet, in 2013 ... seems not much has changed with four stroke KTM's. Now why is that?

Trophy Hunter Tows Dead KTM on His DR650!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #1059
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
It is my bike. I guess I'll take the leftovers and make a downhill racer. Here is the note I posted 3 or 4 pages ago (before I started opening the engine).

2005 DR650, 12000 miles, rode hard but not put away wet -

I was at the end of a 200 mile trip from home to Bryson City, NC. The last 50 miles was at 60mph. As I took the ramp off Exit 67, Highway 74. I herd a loud crunch (or crack) and lost power - the motor was still running. I tried the gearshift but it seemed to be locked up. I coasted the 1/2 mile down to the hill to the gas station at Highway 19. When I got off the bike I found a broken chain and the transmission seemed to be locked. I removed sprocket cover and was able to get the sprocket to turn and the gear shifter to work. A friend (thanks Big Don) brought me a chain, and I tried to ride the bike. It cranked OK, went into first gear, then the trans locked as I tried to pull away. I gracefully stepped off the bike as it tipped over in the parking lot. After that, the bike would not start and the starter would not turn. While rolling the bike around the lot, I discovered that there was no 5th gear. Bike is home now waiting for some wrench love. I am going to read through this thread some more to try an learn from the experience of others. I am inclined to try and do the rebuild myself. I would appreciate some advice about finding the best parts. I would also like to hear what others have spent on the repair.
Super Bum deal there Andy. Looks like the motor is a total loss.

Maybe part her out (lots of work!!) and start over with a new bike? Sorry to hear this. man, really beat up inside. Seems like the motor must have run quite a while with parts slapping 'round in there. Lots of broken bits. Not good.

Used motors do pop up from time to time but getting them shipped to you can be a challenge. Good luck, hope you come out of this OK.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #1060
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

When I first started seeing KTM 4 strokes running in Enduros it was the early 1990's. Few made it through the event. Of course the two strokes had no such problems. Yet, in 2013 ... seems not much has changed with four stroke KTM's.
Aren't those KTMs winning the events?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1061
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
yeah, and generally they last longer than 12 thousand miles. What a damn shame
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #1062
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
KTM are winning ... and kicking butt world wide in just about every class they enter ... even in US Motocross and Super cross. Took them 15 years to get there, but are there now. But if money runs out and they can no longer afford top riders ... could be hard times again?

But winning races does not always make a perfect street legal dual sport bike.

As day to day dual sport bikes, short or long range travel bikes or daily commuters, KTM can't match the generally good DR650 in all round usefulness and reliability over years and tens of thousands of miles.

I'll be very anxious to see the new KTM 390 coming out of India (Bajaj). They plan a dual sport/Adventure version after the Duke model arrives.
I hope they bring them into the USA. Lots more interesting projects too.

Read Alan Cathcart's Two Part interview in Cycle News with Stephan Pierer. Lots of great info on KTM's future. Very informative.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #1063
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
Quote:
KTM are winning ... and kicking butt world wide in just about every class they enter ... even in US Motocross and Super cross. Took them 15 years to get there, but are there now. But if money runs out and they can no longer afford top riders ... could be hard times again?

But winning races does not always make a perfect street legal dual sport bike.

As day to day dual sport bikes, short or long range travel bikes or daily commuters, KTM can't match the generally good DR650 in all round usefulness and reliability over years and tens of thousands of miles.

I'll be very anxious to see the new KTM 390 coming out of India (Bajaj). They plan a dual sport/Adventure version after the Duke model arrives.
I hope they bring them into the USA. Lots more interesting projects too.

Read Alan Cathcart's Two Part interview in Cycle News with Stephan Pierer. Lots of great info on KTM's future. Very informative.
KTM is on top in the racing world partly do to the fact that they are constantly and aggressively upgrading their off road lineup instead of the minor year to year tweaking the Japanese factories seemed to have settled for... They seem to be on the kick that "speed sells", and so far it has been working, with many of their models been sold out well in advance... It appears that they doing pretty good for these recessive times we are in, but as always the outward appearance can be deceiving... When was the last time the Japanese introduced an exciting new street legal mid size thumper? The the y2k era DR 400?

I would think that the percentage of DRs that are actually purchased as travel bikes is very small compared to the overall #s sold... Most of them are used in a dual sport role or as a cheap commuter/first kick around bike and don't see the extra stresses that weighted travel places on them, yet a certain unknown# of these light use bikes also still fail...
Is your DR going to fail? Maybe not, but Andys and MRMIGS just suffered 100% catastrophic failure rates...

Personally I would be paranoid in the same way as GS1200s is if I owned a DR at this point... I run my bikes fairly hard with or without a load and they often get put away wet at the end of the day ready for the next... That "when" and "if" gearbox gearbox failure thing would drive me nuts to the point of selling or obtaining an aftermarket gear set... After all the odds are that a more stress full operating climate is likely to increase the chance of a failure,no?

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 10:52 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #1064
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe View Post
will you guys just stop the bitching and go but a ktm 690
ok.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #1065
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,512
Quote:

When I first started seeing KTM 4 strokes running in Enduros it was the early 1990's. Few made it through the event. Of course the two strokes had no such problems. Yet, in 2013 ... seems not much has changed with four stroke KTM's. Now why is that?
Nice try but you failed to make any sense as usual...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote