Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #1171
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Cool2

Hiya Grifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I think he's a cool guy with a lot of info, but I think he's overzealous in his defense of the DR.
And you're underzealous: it's how God keeps balance in the universe.

Quote:
I am not the only one who's commented on this. Of course others think I take it too far with 3rd.

All this said, I think anyone would benefit from a wide ratio set. Honestly the DRs gear box isn't wide enough EXCEPT that the engine is torquey enough to handle being lugged and the clutch can handle abuse as well. Its not DRz bad, just not quite enough to run tight bush and run freeway at 75 all day.
You're an idealist and you'll spend your entire life looking for perfect, a wasted effort. Too bad, I know those guys and they're miserable people; your future is bleak.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1172
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Hiya Grifter

And you're underzealous: it's how God keeps balance in the universe.

You're an idealist and you'll spend your entire life looking for perfect, a wasted effort. Too bad, I know those guys and they're miserable people; your future is bleak.
Damn. And I thought I was happy this last 4 months.. Guess I'm wrong

Perhaps I am. Without ideals, what do we have to guide our actions? How do we evolve? If we didn't have ideals in the past, wed be in caves or oppressed by totalitarian governments. And while now we are largely at the mercy of corporations, we at least have more power than before- WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO HOLD CORPORATIONS ACCOUNTABLE for choices they make and change the world in this way. But somehow, we defend them when they choose profit over us!

This is the source of my stand here. There is a known problem. Human decency dictates that something should be done. Profit dictates that everything should stay the same. I'm not OK with that.
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #1173
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Buy a BMW.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1174
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I respect your opinion and your experience, it counts for lot IMO ... and BIG KUDOS for getting out in the Out Back and doing serious exploring. Something most here only dream about.
Most guys here seem to "truck' their dirt bikes to an area and do "day rides" from there. Of course ... there are exceptions.

I actually have a WR250 (04 model with 290 big bore kit.) that I sometimes throw on the trailer and do a day or half day ride in just forest. Definitely a better bike in the tight stuff than the DR. If that was the only sort of off road riding I did, I wouldn't need the DR.

I chose the Staintune as it is "definitely" lighter than the standard exhaust, and I found that it made a significant difference to the low end on my DR, even if the top end Horsepower doesn't change much. I never have to repack it, and it ain't going to fall apart. Is the GSX can as good for the job.... maybe. At the time I bought the Staintune I was not aware of the GSX can, but they are pretty hard to get hold of and I am not sure I would not still choose the stain tune anyway.

I have actually chosen NOT to replace JUST 3rd gear with a Nova gear as I share others concerns about just moving the problem to another part in the gear box. However, if it was available from ACT, and that was my main point, I would definitely consider replacing all the gears as per the set I put in my son's DRZ.

As for researching a BETTER bike, I would much rather spend the time putting a new (not yet available) set of gears like the DRZ ACT set. I like the DR and its reliability. And I am pretty sure IF I found swomething that was as good and as reliable, the cost to change over, ready to go, set up for my weight and style/type of riding I would be up for somewhat more than getting a "ACT like" set of gears, even if I did pay someone to install them.

As for worrying, no, I don't think about the 3rd gear exploding while I am riding it. That would spoil a ride and would be cause for me to change bikes. So while I do not spend time worrying, I do spend time planning and preparing. And some of that preparation involves spending time and money making the bike (and myself), perform better, safer, and less likely to fail. And that is where minimising the risk, albeit a relatively small risk, comes into my thinking.

Risk and consequences, they are a funny thing. Would you play Russian Roulette with one bullet in a six gun. I wouldn't. What if it was one bullet in 1000, no...1 in 1,000,000...no. But that is me I guess. I just think the consequence is too great, even if the risk is low.
AllAroundAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1175
AllAroundAus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Buy a BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Buy a BMW.
I have not found too may people that rate them better than the DR for the sort of riding I do. What have you found. What sort do you own?
AllAroundAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #1176
doug s.
Banned

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
there's no question that the nova racing 3rd gear set is far superior to stock. but at what price? better to find a spare complete motor and put it on the shelf, if worried about the 3rd gear thing, imo... take the stock gearset out and send it out for cryo treatment...

ymmv,

doug s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundAus View Post
The problem with a spare motor on the shelf, is that it is of no use to me in the event of a failure in the middle of one of these long rides.
that's a fair point, and i understand it totally. however, i have read in many ride reports of folks having breakdowns on other bikes, unrelated to a 3rd gear failure, where they hole up for a few days or a week, to wait for parts to be shipped to them to get them back on their journey. the same could be done w/a complete motor sitting on a shelf; the only difference would be the added cost of shipping it. since the cost of a complete used motor is about the same or less than getting a new 3rd gear set installed in a perfectly functioning motor, i would still lean towards sourcing a spare motor and having it waiting as a back-up.

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #1177
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Buy a BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundAus View Post
I have not found too may people that rate them better than the DR for the sort of riding I do. What have you found. What sort do you own?
I think Sagedrifter was being a smart a$$, sending GSF down an even deeper, darker hole.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #1178
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I think Sagedrifter was being a smart a$$, sending GSF down an even deeper, darker hole.
I hope I don't offend anyone in regards to bike choice, but I will never own a BMW. I don't like the looks, the complication, the weight, the price, or the reliability. I respect others choices, but I can't help but wonder if theyd enjoy life more with a simpler lighter bike.

The Dr is about perfect. Shame it has a catastrophic transmission problem Klr or Xrl doesn't have an unfixable potentially fatal problem that exists more than a fluke...

Keep cracking jokes- DR gearboxes keep cracking and they keep popping up on this thread
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #1179
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I hope I don't offend anyone in regards to bike choice, but I will never own a BMW. I don't like the looks, the complication, the weight, the price, or the reliability. I respect others choices, but I can't help but wonder if theyd enjoy life more with a simpler lighter bike.

The Dr is about perfect. Shame it has a catastrophic transmission problem Klr or Xrl doesn't have an unfixable potentially fatal problem that exists more than a fluke...

Keep cracking jokes- DR gearboxes keep cracking and they keep popping up on this thread
I share your feeling towards BMW. This is really a company with a very dark and well hidden history few fan boys know about ... or even care to investigate. But ... after the recent major top level shake ups, BMW Motorad has done an about face. I have high hopes. Unfortunately ... they've turned sharply away from off road support. In future they will become more about Urban electric scooters and luxury tourers. The Dakar made the GS line ... and it's still their best seller (or nearly?). How they rationalize their Green position with GS history and it's connection to Off road racing will be interesting to see.

With roughly 100,000 DR's sold worldwide since 1996, I'd expect some bikes to have problems. The good news is the 3rd gear issue seems to be about the ONLY serious problem we hear about. And less than 1% works for some, not for others. At over 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) on my DR, it works for me.

Not many other 650 Dual Sport bikes rack up the miles like the DR650 with mostly trouble free history, although the stout KLR and BMW F series bikes are close for sure. The XR650L suffers in several areas ... and I've never seen one with over 20K miles before problems set in. (I owned a brand new XR-L in 1993). The XT Yamaha's are close to the DR ... but no XT's in USA since 1990. The Husky Terra can't be ignored ... but no one knows it's future. KTM's 690's are out of most riders budget and new model BMW's are heavy and not at all off road oriented ... which makes the 17 year old DR650 design somehow still relevant and useful for many budget minded dual sport riders.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #1180
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
that's a fair point, and i understand it totally. however, i have read in many ride reports of folks having breakdowns on other bikes, unrelated to a 3rd gear failure, where they hole up for a few days or a week, to wait for parts to be shipped to them to get them back on their journey. the same could be done w/a complete motor sitting on a shelf; the only difference would be the added cost of shipping it. since the cost of a complete used motor is about the same or less than getting a new 3rd gear set installed in a perfectly functioning motor, i would still lean towards sourcing a spare motor and having it waiting as a back-up.

ymmv,

doug s.
A year or so back we had the French guy touring Latin America. He posted on the BIG DR thread, asking for help/advice, posted pics too. In Mexico his 3rd gear failed. A local mechanic in Oaxaca split the case and found the problem. Good news was it was not catastrophic ... and the broken gear did not do much damage. The mechanic ordered parts from Mexico City (New DR650's now sold there!!!) and in two weeks the Frenchman was on his way. Never heard from him again.

As you say, we can find HUNDREDS of RR's where the hero is stalled somewhere awaiting parts. With most DR riders it's usually something owner induced ... like a worn out chain or sprockets they should have changed 5000 earlier. So common. Take care of your chain guys!!! BASIC!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #1181
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,518
Just chatted with a bro on eBay parting a dr.
Just randomly wondered what took it down.
He said it was 3rd gear @11k miles

Dunno the year

Did anyone ever get word from Suzuki, not heresay as to whether the part was replaced?
Or the supplier...more likely the issue

Really good pic here http://rthompson.us/wp-content/uploa...0/100_1081.JPG
That guy says his non catastrophic
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #1182
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Just chatted with a bro on eBay parting a dr.
Just randomly wondered what took it down.
He said it was 3rd gear @11k miles

Dunno the year

Did anyone ever get word from Suzuki, not heresay as to whether the part was replaced?
Or the supplier...more likely the issue

Really good pic here http://rthompson.us/wp-content/uploa...0/100_1081.JPG
That guy says his non catastrophic
I'd like to hear from Suzuki on this as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #1183
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post22792923

Nothing to see here; move along.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1184
Buggy
Chromosomally challenged

Oddometer: 52
Another one bites the dust....

My '02 gobbled third gear about two years ago. I was cruising fire roads in northern CA (Lassen) when it just locked up. No warning, no grinding, no rattles....just sudden silence and a locked up rear wheel. I was going about 45 in 4th and accelerating slightly. Just as I was about to shift to 5th it happened. The death slide into the barrow pit was a true joy, too. Probably my worst wipeout in 45+ years of riding.

It's sat in the garage since then until recently when I bought a low mileage '09 for a replacement. Looking forward to getting all my farkles on the '09 and getting back on the road (i.e. trails).

Tom

Buggy screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 01:33 PM Reason: Yes, the link posted above is the carcass of my '02.
Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1185
Buggy
Chromosomally challenged

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
A quick perusal of this thread tells me GFS1200S isn't providing the link to my '02 carcass as a service to my attempts to sell her off.....
Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote