Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
G-Mac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Dual Sporting a 2002 XR250r for the road, legally or semi legally.

Well as the title says is it possible to road legal my 2002 XR250R. I know we can't do it in Onscario. They closed that door. But what about other provinces.
I really like this bike and it's a perfect compliment to my 800gs. I was reading calrider's reports and that sparked my interest again in pursuing the issue. I really want to get this bike legalized. If not it has to go in favour of one that is.
I don't particularly want to get rid of it because I have it set up the way I like and it runs great and still in really good shape. The good news is I have family and friends in almost every province. So transferring ownership and then back is not a problem. Neither is saftying it back here . Just getting it from green to blue plate at the ministry is a no go in Onscario.
Any suggestion?
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
ide say the easiest way would be keep an eye on kijiji and see if you can find one thats already blue plated. Then swap your parts over and have 2.
I see blue plated frames for sale from time to time. I sold a blue plated XR650R frame 2 years ago for about 300
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 97
If bike came of factory floor as a dirt bike then no. The data plate plate on the frame might show how its listed ie motorcycle,scooter etc. How the bike is imported to Canada and what use Transport Canada has the import as.

If imported as dirt bike then provinces use that as the base line for where, how to insure it and where it can be used. For example data plate might say "motor driven bicycle " that wording is how Transport Canada classify that product in there eyes its a bicycle.

Saying all that in my world we having a saying " Transport Canada is not happy till your unhappy " its government so its any one guess on how someone interrupts the rules.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
G-Mac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawdog View Post
If bike came of factory floor as a dirt bike then no. The data plate plate on the frame might show how its listed ie motorcycle,scooter etc. How the bike is imported to Canada and what use Transport Canada has the import as.

If imported as dirt bike then provinces use that as the base line for where, how to insure it and where it can be used. For example data plate might say "motor driven bicycle " that wording is how Transport Canada classify that product in there eyes its a bicycle.

Saying all that in my world we having a saying " Transport Canada is not happy till your unhappy " its government so its any one guess on how someone interrupts the rules.
Ya I was afraid to hear that but it seems like its country wide. And a no go for changing it. I guess it might be on to part two of the plan. Too bad I really like that bike. I was going to keep it until the boy is big enough but that might be a year or two. He has already out grown his crf 100, but not quite ready for the height of the 250.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I would try contacting and/or posting on website for DS clubs in different provinces. Most provinces have a DS club and most have decent websites with a forum.

The information about Transport Canada isn't really applicable for used bikes or conversions. You need to deal with the MTO.

If you were able to get the bike street plated in another province you would likely be able to transfer that street ownership to Ontario. This could be expensive if you have to ship the bike to that province for a safety and then back. If so that would make buying another bike with the street plate an option worth looking into.

Good luck!

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
I have a XR400R that I have street plated. I bought the bike new in Alberta and went to a little out of the way licence place and managed to get a street plate. The important thing is that it had never been plated before so I got it through. I bought a Baja Designs kit for the bike so I have blinkers and a good light and I have a bike type battery. I also have electric start on the XR400 which is a fairly big deal. I guess my comment would be forget making the bike street legal and buy a street legal bike. It is a lot of trouble and expense and the bike is never really street legal, like a steel gas tank. Since I have the bike and am into it so deep I continue on this route but I think a bike like the CRF250L would do as much as the XR400 does due to it's higher technology, EFI etc. The Xr400 is a blast on the street and I've taken it on longer road trips with more to come but it isn't for everyone.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Undercover Poe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I have a XR400R that I have street plated. I bought the bike new in Alberta and went to a little out of the way licence place and managed to get a street plate. The important thing is that it had never been plated before so I got it through. I bought a Baja Designs kit for the bike so I have blinkers and a good light and I have a bike type battery. I also have electric start on the XR400 which is a fairly big deal. I guess my comment would be forget making the bike street legal and buy a street legal bike. It is a lot of trouble and expense and the bike is never really street legal, like a steel gas tank. Since I have the bike and am into it so deep I continue on this route but I think a bike like the CRF250L would do as much as the XR400 does due to it's higher technology, EFI etc. The Xr400 is a blast on the street and I've taken it on longer road trips with more to come but it isn't for everyone.
How sis you put electric start on your xr400? I just bought a plated xr400 and I need to do this mod
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 945
Plating

Now you need to find a place to do a safety on it first, so lights horn etc... Now you can go to different places to try and get a blue plate for it. The more the remote the better mto office. There are people still doing it but it is some leg work and luck. I have seen a few 2 strokes with blue plates on them, is it legal or not is the question. But getting a safety is the first part then you can move forward lol. Good luck

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,856
When you get the safety done ensure the make is written as "no make". Ditto when you go to plate and register it. "No Make" refers to bikes that are not in the MOT database. As others said find a license bureau out in the boonies

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 04:44 AM
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
G-Mac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I think it's a bust anyways. Boy wants my XR. Just means I sell his CRF and use that cash towards a WR. Then when he gets his licence he can ride that with me. I'll ride the F800.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

It these Harley guys can do what they do with their choppers than you should be able to convert your bike to street legal. It may not be cheap but should be possible. If you want to do something bad enough there usually is a way. My XR400R is on the street and I love it. I am converting it to a dual sport now, luggage etc. I have always wanted a XR650R but everyone I saw had an engine rebuild and that seemed to me very un-Honda. I bought the Xr400 new and it has always been registered street.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 05-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
G-Mac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya your right JimmyA. Those guys do it I wonder how? Maybe it's registered as a new build hmmm. I should just register it as a Harley rebuild put a louder pipe on it, they'll never know.
I always loved the XR 400 and having that as a dualie would be an awesome ride. Got any pics.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover Poe View Post
How sis you put electric start on your xr400? I just bought a plated xr400 and I need to do this mod
There are two ways to put E-button on the bike. The crank needs to be wider by about 1 1/2 inch and there is a company that makes an extension piece for the crank. They are in Italy I think and it cost like $450. I bought one of these extensions and am using it, it is OK. All the other parts come off a EX400 quad. These parts can be bought used. The EX400 crank is the correct width but the cases have to be split on your motor. Another issue is the XR400 CDI needs twice the RPM to start as the starter puts out. The EX400 CDI box is the fix for this but the wires from the XR400 stator do not match the CDI for the EX400. I have both CDIs now and stators in 200 watts. In the end I basically have the parts to do the conversion both ways. These parts have been collected over the years and are getting harder to get as these bikes become older. This is an expensive process.

What I have also done is do the "Pumper Carb" conversion. At least it is in a box waiting me to install it. This allows the bike to start much easier as you can squirt a little gas into the engine by turning the trottle. XRsonly sell this carb conversion, around $400 I think. http://www.xrsonly.com/mikuni-pumper...m-honda-xr400r
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
Undercover Poe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Seem like a lot of work. I'll just kick start it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #15
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 674
Another suggestion.

It might be possible, when you register the off-road bike, to just transfer the license plate from a road legal bike to the offroad bike. Just say, "Yeah, I just want to transfer the plate from this bike to this bike." The "road legal" designation may just transfer along with it. Worth a try?

Not sure how it works in Ontario, but in Alberta that seems to be a way to do it.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote