Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4921
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthefarmer View Post
Put it on the center stand (if you have one) put it in high gear 5-6. Keep trying to spin the back wheel forward then back it might take a while, but eventually it should allow the water to pass trough the rings and turn over. If and when it does start it'll probably "steam" for a while. Just let it get good and hot, and it will get rid of the moisture in the oil. It worked for me last year. Good luck.

Peter
Since he has the luxury of bringing stuff....bring an oil filter and some oil and do a fresh change

Keep us posted

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #4922
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,913
Quote:
Put it on the center stand (if you have one) put it in high gear 5-6. Keep trying to spin the back wheel forward then back it might take a while, but eventually it should allow the water to pass trough the rings and turn over. If and when it does start it'll probably "steam" for a while. Just let it get good and hot, and it will get rid of the moisture in the oil. It worked for me last year. Good luck.

Peter
I tried letting it roll backwards in 5th and poping the clutch and it would turn a bit then freeze up. So I'd push it up the hill and let it roll back down again and again. No go. Made a loud noise when it would stop
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #4923
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I tried letting it roll backwards in 5th and poping the clutch and it would turn a bit then freeze up. So I'd push it up the hill and let it roll back down again and again. No go. Made a loud noise when it would stop
Not sure the Dakar is the same but my '02 F650GS single had a tool kit in a roll under the seat. Was fairly complete, IIRC. Certainly had a spark plug wrench in it.

I would NOT try to turn the engine over by rolling it down a hill in gear - that's a good way to bend a connecting rod since water does not compress.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #4924
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Hmmm, might be too late for that.

Of course my tool kit was sitting on the garage floor at home
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #4925
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

UPDATE

I'm going to get Derek's trailer and my employess have 'volunteered' to take the afternoon off and come for an adventure.

With 4 of us I think we can push the bike to Cali Road.

Funny how last week I posted in Face Plant about the dangers of going off road alone
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #4926
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
UPDATE

I'm going to get Derek's trailer and my employess have 'volunteered' to take the afternoon off and come for an adventure.

With 4 of us I think we can push the bike to Cali Road.

Two behind, two pulling, and you on the bike making vroom vroom noises? I guess that's why you're the foreman, eh?

Quote:
Funny how last week I posted in Face Plant about the dangers of going off road alone
There's nothing quite like teaching by example.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #4927
peterthefarmer
Venison sausage4sale

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not sure the Dakar is the same but my '02 F650GS single had a tool kit in a roll under the seat. Was fairly complete, IIRC. Certainly had a spark plug wrench in it.

I would NOT try to turn the engine over by rolling it down a hill in gear - that's a good way to bend a connecting rod since water does not compress.
Physics won't be your friend if you try to force it to turn over. Your connecting rod will give looong before the water will. You have to get the water to pass by the piston rings slowly. Good luck Dan.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #4928
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Physics won't be your friend if you try to force it to turn over. Your connecting rod will give looong before the water will. You have to get the water to pass by the piston rings slowly. Good luck Dan.
Better yet, find another way to get it out of there, like making a hole up top where the spark plug goes.

Hey Peter, where did you go this weekend? I don't remember seeing you Friday night in Renfrew.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #4929
RobP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
How did it turn out Dan? Hydro locked dirt bikes are easier to sort out!

We've been trying to bash a trail through on the low side of that beaver dam. Makes for some interesting spills.

Rob
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #4930
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,051
Does the bike is back home ?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #4931
peterthefarmer
Venison sausage4sale

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Better yet, find another way to get it out of there, like making a hole up top where the spark plug goes.

Hey Peter, where did you go this weekend? I don't remember seeing you Friday night in Renfrew.
Front cylinders on thoes big Katooms are accesable, if its the back one...make sure you have nothing planned for the rest of the day.

I wasn't sure my back and hips could have handled Saturday's epic voyage, so I just rode on Friday. Felt pretty good though Friday night when I got home. So next time I'll giver' all the way
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #4932
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

The bike is back home safe and sound.

I borrowed Derek's trailer and drove the Tundra down the hydro line right to the water, just above it there's a flat spot to turn the truck around. I was a bit concerned about getting back up that rocky hill but it was easy. Bottomed the truck a couple of times but otherwise no problemo.

Off roading with air conditioning is nice ... I need a Range Rover
Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #4933
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
How did it turn out Dan? Hydro locked dirt bikes are easier to sort out!

We've been trying to bash a trail through on the low side of that beaver dam. Makes for some interesting spills.

Rob
I noticed the tracks around the outside but since I'd ridden through it a few times before I wasn't worried. My fault for taking my focus off the opposite side and looking down ito the water. As they say, you always end up where you're looking.

Lesson ... hopefully ... learned.

Now to check the bike for any broken con rods.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #4934
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Got the Dakar running today, so all's well. Just need to get a new clutch lever and change the oil.

Took about 4 or 5 turkey basters full of water out of the cylinder by going down through the throttle body. She shot a bunch of grimy water all over the garage wall but I can live with that
Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #4935
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,530
good to hear, Dan.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote