Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5311
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
How does a guy who charges by the hour lose money?

He doesn't lose money, he just doesn't make money. So answering the phone, looking up and ordering parts. Dealing with accounting, dealing with customer woes.. he can not charge for.. there are only so many hours in a day and you can't find more hours. if you can't find more hours then he is losing money that he could potentially make.

I have a few friends close up shop because of the lack of hours in the day. There is a fine line between getting second hand mechanics to do the wrenching and closing shop.

owning a business that does specialty work, i.e work on bmw motorcycles, is hard to keep a business a float. especially in the winter..
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #5312
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,346
Anyone up for a ride if Sunday isn't too soggy?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #5313
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
He doesn't lose money, he just doesn't make money. So answering the phone, looking up and ordering parts. Dealing with accounting, dealing with customer woes.. he can not charge for.. there are only so many hours in a day and you can't find more hours. if you can't find more hours then he is losing money that he could potentially make.

I have a few friends close up shop because of the lack of hours in the day. There is a fine line between getting second hand mechanics to do the wrenching and closing shop.

owning a business that does specialty work, i.e work on bmw motorcycles, is hard to keep a business a float. especially in the winter..
I'll agree to a point.

The markup on parts should offset the time it takes to order it, no?

But, if someone doen't make money selling parts then how about not selling them instead of selling them and complaining at the same time. GTC is happy to sell parts and online is always there.

Also like Ted noted, the trouble shooting is charged at shop rates like $90 per hour so how can that be loosing money?

Unless the BMW rate book is way too lenient and the time it takes to do a regular book job is way less than the book rate charged. Then the hourly shop rate really is loosing money. That also implies the book rates are actually ripping the customers off
Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #5314
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Now for something completely different.. ...

Can I register and insure a bike from Quebec that is already plated but has a rebuilt title??
Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #5315
thumpididump
MacGyver

Wish I could, but Monday just isn't in the cards.

No one is riding Sunday?

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S3

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #5316
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'll agree to a point. I don't know who we are talking about or I am not sticking up for him, I'm just speaking from my experience in a similar repair shop.

The markup on parts should offset the time it takes to order it, no? No, the man power (time), and the lack of a decent mark up because he is not a dealer, Having to go pick up the parts, affects the bottom line.

But, if someone doesn't make money selling parts then how about not selling them instead of selling them and complaining at the same time. No excuse for mistreatment. GTC is happy to sell parts and online is always there. Power of sales, being at dealer, having a huge clothing dept. is what keeps OGTc parts going.

Also like Ted noted, the trouble shooting is charged at shop rates like $90 per hour so how can that be loosing money? How many hours is reasonable for trouble shooting, How many hours do you have into to trouble shooting? are they chargeable. How long should a shop trouble shoot for? There is a point of reasonable to unreasonable, when you reach that point your losing... It is unreasonable to think for any one person knows about every gismo on every model of every bike.

Unless the BMW rate book is way too lenient and the time it takes to do a regular book job is way less than the book rate charged. Then the hourly shop rate really is loosing money. That also implies the book rates are actually ripping the customers off
The flat rate units are applied to the job. How you apply these units depends if it is reasonable. Trouble shooting usually give .5hr. The time doesn't start until the bike is on the bench. usually does not include testing. but this is usually in a warranty situation. Bike handling, shop prep day in, day out. is hard to charge for to be competitive.
Charging 2 hr flat rate for brakes and doing them in 20 min is where you make most of that time back. At that time, is he ripping people off or is he making a reasonable income?
Maintenance pays and troubleshoot some problems is usually a loss... So if he called you after 5hrs of f-ing around and said you owed him 450. and your no farther a head... Most people would just shit! there has been many times changing out a blown engine for a new engine just to find yourself troubleshooting the new engine because you didn't realize you moved the problem on to the new engine block.

Unless he figures out what gismo is shitting on your bike quickly... Changes the part in a better than reasonable time charges for regular time, orders your part through his parts program (kimpex or whatever) and makes 30% or more mark up plus shipping. Possible but unlikely...
Complaining about what business situation he is in is unreasonable.. and not your issue.

just sayin... when your not a dealer

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 08:05 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #5317
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,451
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post19686252

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #5318
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Anybody sell RAM parts in Ottawa? (No, not the Dodge variety) I need another cradle for my Spot II, and GPSCentral was all out when I placed my last order.

BTW, I have a number of RAM cradles for the Oregon series if anyone needs one or two. $5 each.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #5319
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,451
Mike, I just ordered in a batch of Stovey mounts for the 60 series and the Montana. I'll be selling them from the GT website. I've been using one for a couple of years and believe it's the best out there

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #5320
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Mike, I just ordered in a batch of Stovey mounts for the 60 series and the Montana. I'll be selling them from the GT website. I've been using one for a couple of years and believe it's the best out there
If the Montana model doesn't allow use of the Garmin powered cradle, I don't think it'll be very popular, to tell you the truth. It might be bomb proof but if it forces you to use the USB cable for power, it's dead in the water. I've seen pics of it and it does not look like it's got the Garmin mount built in, unfortunately.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #5321
thumpididump
MacGyver

Went to see the Montreal Supermotocross last night. Plenty of great photos but I think I like this one best...

And this one,

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S3

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #5322
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

And now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Stephanie and I were sitting in the back yard this afternoon after she got back from work, enjoying the beautiful weather, and knowing it was going to be crap for the rest of the week. At about 4:00, she suggested we should go for a DR ride, down towards Prescott. So we took the back roads and dirt roads down and ended up at the BK, a place we go to about once every five years. (Too often, we know)

We came back through Limerick and Burritt's Rapids, Weedmark, Paden, and got home just after dark, temperature down to about 12C.

A short but fun ride!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 07:01 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #5323
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
Prescott, actually
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5324
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
Prescott, actually
Oh, right. Fixed.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 07:02 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #5325