An adv flash mob

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #5447
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Or else he would think it is a bidding war. Or worse...think he underpriced himself due to the extreme interest and ask for more bucks. That would suck.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #5448
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
i'm looking to buy a bike located in GATINEAU, anyone want to take a look at it for me ? i'll pay for your gas and a good lunch ( beers) if you can spare some time to look at it for me.

thanks

north rider
I live in Winnipeg and would be willing to go have a look; but I'm hoping to head off to Van this week, so I'll have to pass. :-(
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #5449
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
thank you THUMPIDIDUMP

thank you to all that offered to look at the bike for me. looks like you guys have a great bunch of ADV riders in the ottawa area ( just like we do in the northern riders forum )

BIG THANK YOU TO "THUMPIDIDUMP" . not only did he drive out to see the bike ,he wrote a big report on it for me and took tons of close up photos
he probably did better than i would have done for myself.

thank you

north rider
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #5450
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
If you buy it and need a place to store it until spring, I'm only a couple of hours away. You could catch a ride with piffle in the spring to get it, his friends live 25 min from me.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #5451
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,320
What is it? Where are the pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
thank you to all that offered to look at the bike for me. looks like you guys have a great bunch of ADV riders in the ottawa area ( just like we do in the northern riders forum )

BIG THANK YOU TO "THUMPIDIDUMP" . not only did he drive out to see the bike ,he wrote a big report on it for me and took tons of close up photos
he probably did better than i would have done for myself.

thank you

north rider
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #5452
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,426
The bike in question was an '89 Yamaha TDR250. You don't see those every day. Two stroke twin.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #5453
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,303
Noob to the OV area

Well not a complete noob we lived here in the Ottawa Valley area a few years ago and have just returned from NS. Look forward to getting to know the local ADV crowd and getting out when possible. I have a KTM 690 and GSA. BTW how are the techs at the Good Time Centre? 30k service interval is due on the BMW so I need to bring it in for a once over. Had the KTM into Wheel Sport and the tech who did a little warranty work was great, so good experience there.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #5454
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Well not a complete noob we lived here in the Ottawa Valley area a few years ago and have just returned from NS. Look forward to getting to know the local ADV crowd and getting out when possible. I have a KTM 690 and GSA. BTW how are the techs at the Good Time Centre? 30k service interval is due on the BMW so I need to bring it in for a once over. Had the KTM into Wheel Sport and the tech who did a little warranty work was great, so good experience there.
Try Jesse at Premier Cycle on Bentley for BMW service.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #5455
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 156
Newbie!

Hey All,

New to adventure riding and I live in Ottawa..traded my 2010 R1200RT for a 2012 R1200 GSA......on my way to Labrador via 138 and route 389 next June...then on to the ROCK itself.....I suppose there must be some places to off-road for a little practice..next spring?..in the Ottawa area..and always looking for nice people to ride with......avoid gooftime (yes gooftime) centre..like the PLAGUE......horrible stories and experiences abound....

tj

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #5456
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Pet? Or 101?

If you want to ride down near Kingston, I can do the service, and teach you how. One of the easier bikes to service out there, can be done with basic tools, pretty much.

Otherwise, go to Jesse. Badtime centre ain't great. Neither is Wheelsport. Take the 690 to Woody in Perth. Old school katoom guy.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #5457
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Try Jesse at Premier Cycle on Bentley for BMW service.
Im glad I stumbled on this page today... Ive also had a few "less that great" experiences at "OGC" - I'll try Premier Cycle next time.

Cheers
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #5458
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Im glad I stumbled on this page today... Ive also had a few "less that great" experiences at "OGC" - I'll try Premier Cycle next time.

Cheers

For non BMW bikes, Revin Kevin is a good mechanic, honest, fair rates, etc. He is about 5 minutes outside of Kemptville. He used to work with Jesse, now he has his own shop and works on anything other than BMW. He did a bunch of work on my ktm and I was quite impressed.

Highly recommend him

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #5459
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Pet? Or 101?

If you want to ride down near Kingston, I can do the service, and teach you how. One of the easier bikes to service out there, can be done with basic tools, pretty much.

Otherwise, go to Jesse. Badtime centre ain't great. Neither is Wheelsport. Take the 690 to Woody in Perth. Old school katoom guy.
Pet, military. I'll definitely take you up on that in the spring. Bought the JVB vids and necessary tools but never actually got into anything beyond oil and tire changes, didn't have the courage to crack open the cyl heads I guess and Atlantic Motoplex was pretty decent to deal with. I'll look Jesse up for sure. As far as WS goes the guy that worked on my bike was an older tech and put a lot of care into his work, lots of time to answer my questions and even banged the dents out of the skid plate. It is nice to have options though.

CanadianX screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 04:01 AM
Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #5460
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
Hey All,

New to adventure riding and I live in Ottawa..traded my 2010 R1200RT for a 2012 R1200 GSA......on my way to Labrador via 138 and route 389 next June...then on to the ROCK itself.....I suppose there must be some places to off-road for a little practice..next spring?..in the Ottawa area..and always looking for nice people to ride with......avoid gooftime (yes gooftime) centre..like the PLAGUE......horrible stories and experiences abound....

tj
Hey tjj1, you'll enjoy the trip around the Trans Lab. Road conditons are highly variable. Getting a little trail time on the big bike will help for sure. Definitely put TKC 80 on, not absolutely necessary but will give you a bit more piece of mind and traction. You'll wear the rear out completely by the time you get back or sooner, so plan on having access to a least a new rear around the 5k mark of your trip. The big bike requires a little more finess to make it get down the trail, weight and smaller front tire makes it chase ruts vs climb out of them and leaning into corners on the loose stuff less desirable (front tends to plow a bit and can result in a lowside). You can steer with the throttle pretty easily though I found anything under 70km/h and the front was to loose in the gravel/sand mixture. 130km/h was nice but my passenger found that a bit fast for conditions At Manic 5 there is one 'hotel' it's good to book ahead for that one. The electric hotel or something like that.