Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #6856
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
There's a user fee for my favorite road. Pay up.
No way! We paid the T(r)oll!
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #6857
WHALENTJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
The other California rd.?
WHALENTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #6858
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHALENTJ View Post
The other California rd.?
As opposed to the one in the White Lake area.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #6859
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
As opposed to the one in the White Lake area.

Exactly Drift...the white lake toll goes to myself, and yes Mike paid me. You get the south of seven toll...

On a side note I am now selling season passes if any noobs are interested

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #6860
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Exactly Drift...the white lake toll goes to myself, and yes Mike paid me. You get the south of seven toll...

Does an oil filter wrench pay for a season's pass?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #6861
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

He was south of Seven...
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #6862
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Is there anyone up near Mont Laurier who could help help a traveler on a BMW F650GS twin whose alternator seems to be dead? He is near Ferme Neuve, just North of Mont Laurier, has camping gear so is ok for the night if he has to stay there, but if anyone can help him tomorrow to get to Masson, or someplace in that direction, he would appreciate it.

We're not exactly close, here, and my car's in the shop having a new rack and pinion (don't ask) so I can't take my car up, but I can meet him on my bike at some point tomorrow with a stator (the most likely cause) and tools, and can do the job on the side of the road if necessary.

He's being towed by a KLR, so he can eventually make it down to Masson, but it'll be really slow going.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #6863
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Another short video from Friday's ride, this time of Hinchinbrooke road, Verona.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #6864
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Bees

Hit in the face by a bee while riding in to work this morning (MX helmet without goggles just sunglasses) and got stung. Wasn't sure if he was reloading to have another go at me so tried to crush him but I think he got his licks in and bounced. I'm sure smacking myself in the side of the helmet to crush the little bastard was amusing to anyone watching but at least I protected the bike from being stung.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #6865
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is there anyone up near Mont Laurier who could help help a traveler on a BMW F650GS twin whose alternator seems to be dead?
So I set off this morning to go and meet Jamie and Jeff and caught up to them just outside of Notre Dame du Laus.

Jamie's bike battery had failed, and the alternator was ok after all. What a relief. They managed to find a new battery in Mont Laurier, and the bike was fine for the rest of the day, though I did give him my spare stator to carry along, so that probably had something to do with it.

Was a bit hot for a ride but the roads up there are awesome, so we made the most of it and came down 307, stopping for lunch in Wakefield.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 06:20 PM
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #6866
CDNRIDER09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
"Jamie's bike battery had failed..."

The same thing happened to my wife last year (same bike model F650 GS Twin) during our trip to the Cabot Trail. We were on a gravel road going East from Maine and we were doing just fine, doing the ADV thing... until the bike refused to start after a little break we took. In the middle of nowhere... Of course...

We were confused because all lights and the onboard computer would still work. That confused me a lot. Initial thoughts were Starter/Stator problem since all electrical seemed to be working. Took a little pause hoping that the CAN would eventually tell the BUS to start the bike after putting a lot of faith in the BMW technology package when we went for GSs. Of course you know that, at this time, it's raining big time as a situation like that probably does not happen when the conditions are perfect...

Tow strap at the ready I decided to give compression start a shot. The 650 started easily and she only stopped the bike when we reached a town an hour ish later. Put my (1200GS) battery in her bike to troubleshoot the problem. Started right away. Canadian Tire, two hours at a Timmys to wait for the Battery to charge. Put the thing on my 1200 and off we went.

Ended up as a non issue. However, had this require a BMW tech, there was none around and I was told it could have taken up to three weeks for parts to make their way to where we were stuck...

A bit disappointing that a battery would not last for four years. Especially when placed on an "intelligent charger" during the winter months. But very glad we were able to carry on to make the most of our trip within the time we had allocated to it.

Bottom line is this board reveals its true value when we see messages such as the one Embeedee placed last night. Even more impressive to have him as a member proactively moving towards the rider in need of assistance. That's the Canadian way!
CDNRIDER09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #6867
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
My '08 F650GS still had its original battery when we sold it with 86,000 kms on the clock. Same charging setup you describe. I once had a loose connector that caused the bike to not start after it had a checkup at the dealer. Maybe a loose wire, solved when you fiddled with the battery? Or just Murphy's Law.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #6868
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRIDER09 View Post
That's the Canadian way!
Aw shucks. I couldn't think of a better way to get out of working around the house today.

But don't mention it.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #6869
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
I once had a loose connector that caused the bike to not start after it had a checkup at the dealer.
I think the problem we had with your bike was caused by the same lackey who lost one of the Torx screws from the battery cover that time the bike wouldn't start. Then the shop tried to charge us to add one where it had been missing.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #6870
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
I'd forgotten that detail!

Btw, the primer is waiting in the hallway

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote