Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
I guess thats the best video they have. Kinda makes me want to go trade my 990 in on one.............................................. NOT.

Do you really think your 990 would have done much better in that stuff?

(not trying to be a dick, serious question)

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #32
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
(trying to be a dick)

Do you really think your 990 would have done much better in that stuff?

I'm pretty sure the only reasonable two wheeled weapon for that kinda sand would be a big bore 2 stroke with a paddle tire!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Oh, the ongoing 990 Adv vs. F800GS debate.....The 990 Adv is 65 pounds heavier (456 lbs dry) than the 800GS (392 lbs dry). I'll take the 800GS, please. And that's one of many reasons why I did! 65 pounds is a BIG deal off-road. Besides the fact that the 990's (and most KTM's for that matter) look god-awful fugly.

Besides. When you compare bikes, you compare the 990 Adv and the R1200GS. Those two bikes are in the same weight/power/market class. Not the F800GS.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
Karel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
and most KTM's for that matter look god-awful fugly.
Amen
Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Not trying to be a dick at all. You would honestly run out and buy an 800 after watching guys drop them for 5 mins????

Do I think my 990 would do better yes. Is it ugly yes. Is it heavier then a 800 yes. Does it have more power yes. Does it have better suspension yes.

I don't care what it looks like I care what it rides like and I've had mine in silt, deep gravel washes, sand dunes, single track you name it.

I'm not trying to get into a which bike is better debate. I am saying is that video is a joke if they are trying to sell bikes by having people watch it. they need to rethink things.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Oh, the ongoing 990 Adv vs. F800GS debate.....The 990 Adv is 65 pounds heavier (456 lbs dry) than the 800GS (392 lbs dry). I'll take the 800GS, please. And that's one of many reasons why I did! 65 pounds is a BIG deal off-road. Besides the fact that the 990's (and most KTM's for that matter) look god-awful fugly.

Besides. When you compare bikes, you compare the 990 Adv and the R1200GS. Those two bikes are in the same weight/power/market class. Not the F800GS.
Are you scared to compare the 800 to the 9x0? Why not compare them, it's more of a dirt bike then the beastly 1200.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #37
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
F800 offroad

Hey guys can we keep this thread on topic. I'm sure Yo Momma has room for one more thread. Can't we just all get along....
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
800GS is no dirt bike

After much analysis paralysis, lurking on this site, and trying to decide what would fill the gap in my current stable... I finally got a 800GS. It is great for running around the mountains, fire roads and easy single track.... but it aint no dirt bike! But for what it is, I love this bike! And it fills the gap between my dirt bike and road travelin bike.
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #39
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
After much analysis paralysis, lurking on this site, and trying to decide what would fill the gap in my current stable... I finally got a 800GS. It is great for running around the mountains, fire roads and easy single track.... but it aint no dirt bike! But for what it is, I love this bike! And it fills the gap between my dirt bike and road travelin bike.
Hey bubwould, welcome to the asylum! I see that you're at the top of California. Well, I'm right across the border at the bottom of Oregon. Great place to ride, ain't it? When it's not raining.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #40
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Hey bubwould, welcome to the asylum! I see that you're at the top of California. Well, I'm right across the border at the bottom of Oregon. Great place to ride, ain't it? When it's not raining.

David
Thank you David. This has been a very educational and entertaining place to visit! I love the Ashland, Jacksonville area and visit there from time to time. Been wanting to go to the OHV park west of Jacksonville but.....

I work in Redding and live about 10 miles east of there. And you are right, there is some awesome riding in the State of Jackson! God made a road just for motorcyclist and named it Hwy 36, been thinking of moving to Fortuna just so I could commute on that road to work....
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #41
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
...there is some awesome riding in the State of Jackson! God made a road just for motorcyclist and named it Hwy 36, been thinking of moving to Fortuna just so I could commute on that road to work...
I've got to get myself out to the West Coast sometime to ride these roads and meet up with some of you guys.

Welcome bubwould!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #42
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I've got to get myself out to the West Coast sometime to ride these roads and meet up with some of you guys.
Yes Paul, you should! bubwould is right, Hwy. 36 is one of those rides you'll never get enough of. I'll go 100 miles out of my way on trips to the San Francisco Bay area just to detour along its length. And (in keeping with the theme of this thread) the off-pavement opportunities around here are almost limitless. In fact, there's some high-desert riding a just east of here

that takes you to a place in the Hart Mtn. Antelope Refuge that's farther from any Interstate highway than anywhere else in the lower 48 states.

A little farther east is Steens Mtn., where you can ride up a dirt road to 9500 ft. the summit. I tell you, there are a lot worse places in this country to ride a motorcycle!

Oh, and bubwould, it's the State of Jefferson, not Jackson! Get your hopeless separatist movements right, man!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 01-24-2009 at 03:19 PM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #43
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

800GS, good compromise

Oh, and bubwould, it's the State of Jefferson, not Jackson! Get your hopeless separatist movements right, man!

David[/quote]

HA! It was early.... no uhhh, I was thinking of the town Jacksonville!

Even tho Ive ridden a lot of tarmac and dirt trails around here, never owned a dual sport. And I am very excited to explore some of these dirt roads. Need to get up into Oregon and do the same! A few years ago, we rode back from a BMW rally in Spokane, and came through Hells Canyon, WOW! It was beautiful! This last summer, rode up to Missoula through Idaho on hwy 95, then 12, seems like along different rivers the whole way. Unfortunately it was a quick trip, with no time to detour and explore, but kept thinking "when that GS comes in, Im coming back here".

Yesterday, while checking out a dirt road near Shasta Pond, it starting raining hard, let some air out, but it was slick! Need some knobs! But it was still a blast! A real dirt bike would have been better in the mud, but then once back on the road it would have sucked. So, for me, the 800GS is not the best tool in the dirt, but its a fantastic do "everything well", explore, adventurous kind of bike.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #44
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
OK, right off I have to disclose that I own 2 GSs, one an 2001,1150.The other,my favoite is an 1100 Black Beaury name of Miss Piggy. Both are wonderful motorcycles and while very similar, each has some strength andawbaks. The 1100 feels lighter and excellerates more freely and wants to settle down at 90 while the yellow belly bike has six speeds and that overdrive wants to keep the rpm low so it wants to ride around 75 or 80, but mostly 75, It has the power to go much faster but just not the heart. It is also sensitive to regular gas which my 1100 is not. Both bikes are equipped with olins and handel very well. In reality when I ride one afte some time for the othe I think how niceit is and how much I like it. Either way, I love them both.

Tthe problem is this damn tat thread has got me going again, It looks like the GSs, either one won;t be the desired bike for the trip and frankly I can feel that the madness has already taken hold. I must go. What is the best beast for the ride. I've been looking at this 650 Honda L tomight and wonder if I find a good deal if I should jump on it.

What do you thumper folks think is the best bike for comfort for a long ride that still maintaines the ability to reallywork those roads?

Thanks Bear

How much of that trip can be done on a loaded GS by a moderately slilled rider. I'm getten hotto try it and want some answers. If I have to buy a Honda I'll probagly do that but I'd prefer one of the GSs.

What do you think? Am I nuts or should I get a special bike for the trip and sell it when I'm done.? I need help here.
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote