User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Doug Grosjean OP
Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer: 281
950: Orphan, Stepchild, or Star?

Just curious, but I've been trying to see / sit on / touch a 950 Adventure since about February. I'd like to see if I'm tall enough to ride it (I suspect I am), talk price, maybe get a test ride.

However, all the dealers I've spoken with seem rather unconcerned / unaware of when they'll get an Adventure in, or how many are coming. They don't actually say much either way, they don't seem very excited about the product...

Is the 950 Adventure a bit of an orphan in the KTM dealers, since they make their money mostly on dirtbikes?

Or are the dealers a bit shy about selling streetbikes?

Or perhaps the Adventure dealers signed up for streetbikes in anticapation of the better models to come, and the 950 is not what they had in mind?

Or perhaps the bike is so good the dealers aren't concerned with working to make a sale, as they figure somebody will come along at the right time, ie, the day they get one in.

I'd love to own a 950 Adventure within a year, but am concerned about dealer support and perhaps attitude. Nobody actually seems interested or enhused about selling one around here....

Perhaps it's just a regional thing, as NW Ohio is rather conservative and slow to adopt new things. I just don't know, and am sort of puzzled.

Comments?

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
(Northwest Ohio, USA)
Doug Grosjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
We are very excited about selling LC8's and have a silver, black, and orange in stock. We've sold 4 so far and our customers are very happy with them.

Some dealers may not be as excited as KTM made dealers come up to the plate to even sell them. We had to send techs to California, buy expensive tools and parts, buy very expensive displays and furniture, and a new sign. When it was all said and done, it would take the profits from 6 LC8's sold at full retail to cover the extra expense.

I would recommend getting a cheap ticket to Vegas and taking part in the demo ride mentioned elsewhere in this section. Sounds like fun and you'd get to see what the LC8 is all about.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I think what your seeing is KTM growing in a direction that probably many dealers that started selling KTM's long ago did not want any part of. They wanted to stick with dirt bikes and KTM wants more than that. I am not saying all dealers are like that. But there are some. I just wonder if KTM is going to eventually force all the dealers to get in a single file line or "Your fired".

Goss
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,048
My local guy had a 640 on his floor for MONTHS before it finally sold. I wouldn't blame him for being gunshy about the 950 since it would be way more expensive than anything else in his shop.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
Lone Ranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Bought an orphan

I went out and bought one of these 950 orphans today. The dealer has sold 4 (2 black, 1 orange and a silver) in the last few days and I had a hard time finding an orange one. I was told that KTM USA was out of inventory and the dealer I bought from had to do some dealer trading for some dirt bikes. The only other one I could find the dealer would not budge one cent off retail. I think, like most new products it took a while to catch on and a lot of people (like me) were waiting to see the new Beemer before they decided.

I was told by one dealer that he was not authorized to sell the 950 as he had not spent the money and resources to qualify. Maybe you should check with another dealer!
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
My local guy had a 640 on his floor for MONTHS before it finally sold. I wouldn't blame him for being gunshy about the 950 since it would be way more expensive than anything else in his shop.

Jon
Same here in Omaha, land of the cruiser.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:39 AM   #7
Gary
Another Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 304
Where to find one...

Doug,

Check with Cleveland/Akron Honda/KTM in Oakwood Village (440-735-2000), a suburb south east of Cleveland. Every time I have been there for the last 6 months they have had 1 or 2 on the floor, and are ALWAYS asking me if I want to take it out for a ride. Ask to speak with one of the twins, they're really nice guys that will give you the time of day.

I know it's not exactly in your neck of the woods, but it might make for a great day ride.

Good luck.

Gary
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Doug,

Check with Cleveland/Akron Honda/KTM in Oakwood Village (440-735-2000), a suburb south east of Cleveland. Every time I have been there for the last 6 months they have had 1 or 2 on the floor, and are ALWAYS asking me if I want to take it out for a ride. Ask to speak with one of the twins, they're really nice guys that will give you the time of day.

I know it's not exactly in your neck of the woods, but it might make for a great day ride.

Good luck.

Gary
Don't take him up on the test ride unless you have an extra 12K burning a hole in your pocket
darmahman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
Doug Grosjean OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Doug,

Good luck.

Gary

Thanks, Gary.

I'll give them a call and talk it over a bit more with them. My 9 y/o son wants to tag along for a test ride, as does my g/f. So have to co-ordinate the three, and travel a bit...

So far to sit on a 950, I've tried the Detroit bike show. KTM was a no-show. I've tried 3 local dealers, each of whom is a 950 dealer, but none have had them in stock. Some offer to order one for me, but I'm not prepared to spend that kind of $ with no test-ride.

Meantime, my 1993 DR-350 (42k miles so far...) is going to be pressed back into commuting / fun duty, alongside my Concours. My SO will get a taste of dual-sporting, as will my son. If they like going off-road on the DR, then the 950 only becomes more attractive.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
douggrosjean@wcnet.org
Old 05-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
AdvSkier
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
I don't blame you for wanting to sit on one before you buy it. Maybe I'm too used to sport bikes, where getting a test ride is all but impossible.
For whatever it's worth, I bought a 950 after reading everything I could find, and totally sight unseen. As amazing as the reviews have been, the bike is even better.
When I first started riding it, I couldn't believe how much fun it is on pavement. It wasn't until I took it off in the dirt that I realized that it really is a dirtbike too.
AdvSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #11
Doug Grosjean OP

Tonight I leave for Akron on the Concours with my 9 y/o son, Jean-Luc.

In Akron Saturday, we’re test-riding a KTM-950 Adventure. Will likely post my impressions on it somewhere… Hoping it's as good as everybody says. Would be an ideal bike for my Colorado 2005 trip to a bunch of ghost towns, but if not then there's always the KLR-650 or my DR-350 if I go solo...

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
douggrosjean@wcnet.org
Old 05-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #12
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
sounds like fun. You may want to poke around the service dept and talk w/ the mechanics about there experiences with the beast. My bike did its 600 mile service and the shop found the carbs had some nasty residue on them that had to be cleaned and had it marked as warranty-very cool of them.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #13
Super Rat
The Engineer

Oddometer: 53
Not an Orphan

My local KTM dealer (Palmetto Motorsports) in Miami sells lots of street bikes as well as dirt. He can barely keep 950's in the store. I know for sure they have sold 6 or 7. I also agree that you should not even consider riding one unless you want to spend 11 grand on the spot. It's the most fun bike ever made bar none.
Sherco 2.9
Super Rat is offline   Reply With Quote