User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
storymitchell OP
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,251
Driveshaft oil for airhead?

How much oil is supposed to be in an R60/6 driveshaft? In prep for a ride tomorrow I wanted to top off the gearbox, final drive, and driveshaft. The gearbox and final drive were easy, but the directions for the driveshaft said to pull the filler plug, shove a screwdriver straight down, and add oil until 2 mm of oil showed on the end of the screwdriver. I added a fair amount of gear oil, and finally got a bit showing on the end of the screwdriver. I don't have a warm fuzzy about this though. Is there supposed to be oil in the driveshaft? Does what I said here sound right?

Help!

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:47 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,060
I think the amt is 150cc.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:32 PM   #3
jimmyjam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
100cc is fine.

The BMW guideline will have you overfilling the driveshaft by quite a bit.

It's better to have that oil under rather than over filled-check this link for more info.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/oil.htm
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
BMW says 150cc, so I figger you can't go wrong with that.
Why would less be better?
Robert
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I've been measuring 150 as well, but what occurs with more than the right amount, as read on that webpage 100-150 cc's but to err towards 100cc... What would happen if say 200 cc's were utilized, I am certain it would not over flow, would it just force its way into the rear drive?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
The failure mode (for losing oil) is typically at the other end of the driveshaft. I always ran 150cc in my R100RT (BTW, the screwdriver dipstick at 1 to 2 mm is usually pretty close) but I discovered the my transmission was often over full. It took me a while to discover that my driveshaft oil was always low. The oil was migrating from the driveshaft into the transmission. I was gonna fix it but never did. Every coupla thousand miles I'd make adjustments. The reason for that driveshaft oil is to keep the splines lubed where the driveshaft joins the final drive. I don't suspect that running 100cc or even less would create a problem.

'81 R80G/S-SOLD (sad but I think the new owner is a really happy guy)
'81 R100RS
'96 R1100GS
'83 VW Westfalia (my 4 wheeled adventuremobile)
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemik
...The reason for that driveshaft oil is to keep the splines lubed where the driveshaft joins the final drive...
It also lubes the universal joint at the other end.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
It seems that BMW issued some technical bulletin at some point reducing the 150cc to 120cc??? Several "guru" airhead sites mention using 50-100cc so the migration is lessened or eliminated. The smaller quantities are not known to hurt anything except in airhead GS driveshafts. I know that if I put 150 in the driveshaft of my bike I drain about 50cc 300 miles later out of the transmission so I learned to put 90-100cc in the driveshaft and it stays there.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand
It also lubes the universal joint at the other end.
I'm no expert and it has been a while since I've had my swing arm opened up but, my recollection is that the needle bearings in the u-joint are sealed. Hence, no grease gets out and no oil gets in. Am I wrong?

'81 R80G/S-SOLD (sad but I think the new owner is a really happy guy)
'81 R100RS
'96 R1100GS
'83 VW Westfalia (my 4 wheeled adventuremobile)
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemik
I'm no expert and it has been a while since I've had my swing arm opened up but, my recollection is that the needle bearings in the u-joint are sealed. Hence, no grease gets out and no oil gets in. Am I wrong?
I can't say for sure on all models, but my recollection is that if it has oil in the swingarm then the u-joint is not sealed.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
wiggledbits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Sorry for digging up an old one but...

While waiting for parts I am changing all fluids in a new to me 78 R100/7 34.5k miles. All looked good on the trans and final drive (Caught the speedo cap just in time I think.) but when I went to do the drive shaft it was dry as a desert bone. I did as I usually do and squirted in a little oil to flush crap with the drain off. Nothing came out even after changing the angle of the drive shaft. Not knowing exectly how much I had put in to flush it I added about 100cc and left it at that.

Should I have any reason for concern?

Final oil looked near new, trans had some water but neither had shavings on the magnets.
wiggledbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand View Post
I can't say for sure on all models, but my recollection is that if it has oil in the swingarm then the u-joint is not sealed.
Not true. The u-joint is the same in all models, twin shock to Para-lever. They don't need oil to work, they were greased before assembly...
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits View Post
While waiting for parts I am changing all fluids in a new to me 78 R100/7 34.5k miles. All looked good on the trans and final drive (Caught the speedo cap just in time I think.) but when I went to do the drive shaft it was dry as a desert bone. I did as I usually do and squirted in a little oil to flush crap with the drain off. Nothing came out even after changing the angle of the drive shaft. Not knowing exectly how much I had put in to flush it I added about 100cc and left it at that.

Should I have any reason for concern?

Final oil looked near new, trans had some water but neither had shavings on the magnets.
I would run it until warm and then drain and add the correct amount. Pouring oil through it won't "flush crap" out. 1/2 cup is sufficient for the LWB models...
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote