User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #1621
Kactapuss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks for the advice all!

I've read all about the tank sealing and "rusty tank" procedures but I'm not to optimistic with this one. I poured a handful of rust chips and dust out which were just loose. Then there was some hard white plastic chips inside that look to me like a previous tank seal job, which were also loose, which I pried out with pliers. Theres also some goop on the bottom of the tank on the exterior that looks like some more patch stuff....I've seen tanks for $50 or so on eBay with a little rust that I would rather spend time sealing before wasting time on this tank. Will need to take a closer look later...

Redprimo, thank you! Very helpful indeed. I've emailed you.

MCM, thank you for doing a little leg work. It's at least good to know how much those parts are worth these days. I think I've got to tear into my engine and make sure there is nothing catastrophic inside before I start buying cosmetic parts and the tank. I planned on making my seat cover myself, but that is a great price for a really nice looking one...Hard to beat for the value.

I guess it's only fair to explain my "plans" for this bike. I'm looking to make this bike usable for as little money as possible. Nothing fancy just getting her running and usable and hoping for an easy to maintain, fun to ride, interesting looking bike. If more modern parts are less expensive than the originals I'll be getting those.

As promised here are some pics to show the condition I brought her home in.

Kactapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #1622
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM View Post
Anyone here found a good engine paint that more or less matchs the stock cases? Have tried a few through the yrs. Wheel paint mainly. Anyway just thought I would ask.
I used Duplicolor engine paint with ceramic in "cast coat aluminum" color. Out was actually very close to a perfect match to the stock side case covers. I then made the mistake of clear coating it with Duplicolor clear coat and it darkened the color and gave it a slight greenish hue.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #1623
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,420
This old girl was up for sale recently, I did think about buying it it used to belong to a Kiwi rider, and as far as I recall, has been around the world, through Africa, and up to Norkapp (maybe twice)

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #1624
MCM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
XL500S rear tire close to a TW9 front tread wise?

What rear tire is close to the Bridgestone TW9 Trail Wing Dual Sport 23" Front tire? (Only game in town)
Thought I could buy a pair/set? But they do not offer an 18. Orig rear was a 460x18.
Anyone run other sizes? 5.10? Looking for a tread that more or less matches the 23" front TW9 below.
Thanks!

MCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1625
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what was on my bike when I bought it. Its a pretty close match so I will probably keep it which means pulling it off this rim (three cracks) and mounting it on a rim I bought off ebay with no cracks. its a 4.50 x 18 kenda and Ill have to take a look in better light to find the model.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1626
MCM
Adventurer

Thanks! Looks like the "Kenda K270 Dual Sport Tire" I was just checking out. They offer in in 4.50-18 and 4.60-18. Is the stock 4.60 a lower profile tire than the standard 4.50-18? Only need 0ne.

And thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
This is what was on my bike when I bought it. Its a pretty close match so I will probably keep it which means pulling it off this rim (three cracks) and mounting it on a rim I bought off ebay with no cracks. its a 4.50 x 18 kenda and Ill have to take a look in better light to find the model.

MCM screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 08:08 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #1627
MCM
Adventurer

Ended up ordering a Shinko Dual Sport 244 in the stock 4.60 -18.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #1628
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
What rear tire is close to the Bridgestone TW9 Trail Wing Dual Sport 23" Front tire? (Only game in town)
Thought I could buy a pair/set? But they do not offer an 18. Orig rear was a 460x18.
Anyone run other sizes? 5.10? Looking for a tread that more or less matches the 23" front TW9 below.
Thanks!

That tread seems similar to the Cheng Shin C858 to me.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #1629
MCM
Adventurer

Here is the 244

Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #1630
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
I went with these for my XL250R. The PO had old Cheng Shin off road tires but I wanted something more street-friendly. So far I can highly recommend them although I understand that the Shinkos may not be an option with your rim size.

Here's the bike now. Enjoying the snot out of it. Great mix of speed and agility. I don't need the fastest bike in the world.

My only complaint would be that I wish the kickstand was about an inch longer. Seems like the bike goes over just a bit too far when it's on the stand. Otherwise, as I said, I love these bikes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #1631
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
I got 10,000 miles on a Shinko 700 on the front of my XL600. Rear not so good, 3500 miles, just about the same as any other, but the front still amazes me as far as wear. Will definitely buy another.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #1632
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Unfortunately the only choice for a 23" front tire I'd the trailwing.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #1633
Spirit1dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
Unfortunately the only choice for a 23" front tire I'd the trailwing.
There are some others on EBay if you are looking for a different tread pattern.
Spirit1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #1634
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Here is the 244

I am running 244's on all my D/S bikes because if you shop right you can pick up a set "front and rear both" for less than what I paid for my last Dunlop D606 rear only - but I learned that you need to pay close attention to pressures, Stay above 20 psi and below 35 psi I had a couple failures where the knobs started tearing on the rears.

Kinda like this photo (not mine but I had similar failure on 2 of 6 tires so far) I used to lower the pressure when in sandy trails but since I have stayed around 25+ psi no more failures. Also I rode very agressive that last couple rides in rocky Arkansas and noticed one failure where 2 knobs were just starting to come tear after running 20 psi in AR.

I still recommend them because they are a great value in low cost.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #1635
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I got 10,000 miles on a Shinko 700 on the front of my XL600. Rear not so good, 3500 miles, just about the same as any other, but the front still amazes me as far as wear. Will definitely buy another.
Geez, 10,000 miles! For about $100 for a pair, I'm not planning on worrying too much about them maybe not being the longest-lasting tire around, at least as far as the rear is concerned. I'm a big Shinko fan as far as bang for the buck goes.

I'm running both mine at 21, but haven't done any off-roading in them yet. Still getting used to the new-to-me handling of the bike on city streets. Completely different feel than my previous CX500 Custom.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote