Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #151
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 935
Some years ago, I purchased an '83 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Low-mileage beauty, body and interior in excellent condition! Had spent most of its time in the garage.

Worst car I ever owned. Carburetion issues, lots of motor noise, dried out rubber bits underneath, etc. It rattled and roared until one night the motor blew. On the Interstate. About 11:30 p.m!

The kicker? I bought it from my Mom and Dad! Maybe they did it to teach me a lesson?
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #152
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 206
What a great looking 350 Sourdough! Good luck with the seals etc. I have been making mods to my 250. I got sick of being covered in mud from the pitiful original front guard so I have modded a spare rear guard to go on the front.
Here's some pics.[IMG]file:///D:/Pictures%20to%20move/P8010001rsized.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #153
sturleyau
Monarch 42

And another I can't be bothered loading these up to Photobucket hence the extra post.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #154
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Good idea on the low fender mate..
Now that it's so close to the tyre, you could put one on the covers the back side of the wheel, like an ol' CL175/350 fender does.
I couldn't resist buying this old center port 250, it's identical to one I owned back in 1980-something. Loads of street miles and some off roading/woods invasions that might still get me in trouble. I need to get back at this project. I have a 76 XL350 parts bike to boost the power too.
Aren't these old thumpers the biggest gas for mixing a day of roads and trails?
Attached Images

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.

DoubleBit screwed with this post 08-07-2009 at 07:01 AM
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #155
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, and this one followed us home,, cute lill' bugger,, anyone got a spare kick starter shaft?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #156
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

This lill' '78 xl175 popped up on Craig's, a little beat up, but the kick starter works, it runs decent,, and sooooo much fun for the dollar!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #157
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klantz
Not really sure if this counts as a resurrection, I am sure its not a restoration, but it is my XL500R.

Arr, matey! I'm lovin' this thread!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #158
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Pirate XL! I like the "danger" sticker on the rear fender, nice touch!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #159
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow3022
sorry for the double post guys but, i went out to pep boys and i couldnt find a 6v flasher relay so instead i bought a 12 volt. Plugged it in, didnt work.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Also, when i lifted my tank up, there was a green wire hanging bare. Now my flasher relay is two pronged and it had a grey and black wire on it.....Any ideas of what this mystery green wire is?

Edit: I ran a test on the sockets. I used a multimeter to see if there was any current or voltage running through the socket. Nada. Any ideas?

Well i guess i've narrowed it down. Its the flasher. For some reason i got the signal lights to turn on.....Now the issue is, where can i get one thats not gonna cost me 40 bucks? Are there any aftermarket ones?
I would just get a new electronic flasher. (http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm) They are inexpensive (about $15) and allow you to use aftermarket 10W bulbs or LEDs.

The green ground wire is not typically used, Black is power and grey is the load side. The relays need enough current from the relatively high wattage stock bulbs (1156 are about 26W each) to make them operate properly. When I put Buell flexible stalk 10W turn signals (http://perljam.net/motorcycle/buell-...-turn-signals/ ) on my '84, they did nto draw wenough power to allow the relay to operate.

To mount the electronic module linked above, I snipped the wire connectors on the module and crimped on appropriate gender 0.25" quick disconnects and made a small metal tab bent slightly to fit in the rubber slot frame mount like the stock flasher did. In the picture, teh grey looking dot near teh top is actually the mounting tab hole, very similar to the standard 30amp power relays mounting tab arrangement. Very easy.

- Mike
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #160
vanrooster
Kicker of Elves

Oddometer: 19
Hello, folks. I've been lurking around here for a while and thought I'd post a little about my bike, a 1977 XL350. I picked it up a month or so ago with 6,000 miles on it, and have since added another 350 or so, my longest trip being to the coast at Reedsport, OR. The bike has generally ran great, except for snapping the throttle cable (finally replaced today, hooray!) and subsequently snapping the kickstart lever... and the choke linkage-plastic piece thingy broke apart but a couple of zip-ties are working great in it's place...

oh well, bump starting the thing is easy-peasy, and I won't let that stop me, at least until I can find another one for a decent price (hopefully Cycle Psycho here in town can hook me up with something, anyone dealt with them? on another note, is there any compatibility with kick start levers between bikes?) the fork seals are shot, got some new ones but probably won't put them in until it rains... I just started riding and haven't fucked around with any hairy trails and don't plan on doing so until I have a few more miles under my belt... and have fixed the fork seals, of course...

It's got new (when I bought it) Pirelli Scorpion tires, which seem to work pretty well. The front brake is way too weak (not dangerously so, but uncomfortably so, I would say) but I'll fix that soon enough. Rear brake is strong, but I rarely use it - try to look ahead and avoid the need for sudden stops instead.

I've got to say, this thing is just a blast to ride. As long as I stay away from the freeway (one five mile trip was enough to teach me that lesson - in a word, "terrifying", and exactly the opposite of driving the same speeds on country roads), it just eats up the road. I'm going to start blemishing my until-now clean driving record, I can tell already.

My roommate also rides an XL350, though his is a 1975 (he talked me into buying one of my own, which was easy after riding his!) He takes his fiance on the back when we go riding; I haven't tried riding 2-up on mine - seems like it works great for them, though.

I'll post some pics once I borrow somebody's camera.

Oh yeah, so, anybody got an extra kickstart lever around? (as if I wasn't hinting enough above...)

- Rooster
vanrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #161
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Welcome Vanrooster,
You will find a multitude of helpers ready to assist with anything for your XL from around the world!
You are in the right place,USA for as many spares as you will ever need. Seems Hondason sold many of these reliable bikes there and they have a huge following.
See if you can find a Don Vesco tank as they hold far more fuel than the standard one.

Glenn
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #162
pclem12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I recently bought an 81 XL185s. Had to replace the throttle cable but other than that it runs fine. The only problem is the previous owner took off all the lights. I've found a wiring diagram for an XL175, but none for a 185. Can anyone tell me if they are essentially the same or point me to one for a 185?
Thanks
pclem12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #163
BorisTas
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Unbelievable, my best mates first two bikes, right colors and all beautiful jobs by the looks , any more pics ??

BT

One is all you need ,
Two is a Luxury
Any more is an indulgence
BorisTas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #164
vintagemotosport
Old Skool

Oddometer: 3

super motarded xl
these really are great bikes.
vintagemotosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #165
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
about five years ago I GAVE my 'sitting in the back yard for 2 years' '85 XL600 to my neighbor who cleaned the carbs and has been riding the heck out of it. He says parts are expensive but he likes it.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote