Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #211
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,956
Ouch. Its been sitting for HOW many years!? Sounds like a great deal though, be sure to check it over carefully for rust (especially the gas tank- underneath on each side along the seam especially back by the seat). Be sure and post pics when you buy it!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #212
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Schweet, blue and white, first year of the center ports,, great find! See my avatar,, should be the same tank.

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #213
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 202
1972 Xl250

If anyone has a spare ignition coil to suit either the 1972 XL250 or 350 please PM me as I am in need of one.
The designation is generally AC6VX.X

Glenn
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #214
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturleyau
If anyone has a spare ignition coil to suit either the 1972 XL250 or 350 please PM me as I am in need of one.
The designation is generally AC6VX.X

Glenn

Hi Ya Glenn, just got me a 1983 XLX250R for $400 to do this http://www.dsansw.org.au/index.php?pg=576

ADV thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519541

so I went out to the shed and checked the coil ....AC6V3.9 hmmmm sounds familiar !!!

should be a common part and easy to find ???

hope this helps !!!
I've been lurk'in about and should probably keep it that way.

cheers matty

desert dog screwed with this post 11-16-2009 at 12:54 AM
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #215
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 452
'81 XL500 project & SPROCKETS???

I'm plodding along on the refurbishment of the XL500. Engine out, and the frame painted.

I'm looking for a supplier of chain & sprockets for this bike. Anyone know if they're available in sets, or do I go with new Honda sprockets and aftermarket chains??? I can't seem to find anyone selling different sized sprockets either.

JOE in WI

BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #216
JoshMan01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Some nice bikes here! I'm the proud owner of an '85 XL350.

I'm thinking about tearing her down the the frame this winter. Anybody have a good source for the orangey red color that the '85's area? I think it's called flash red.
'91 TW200
JoshMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #217
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

I thought it was monza red? Cant remember and my book is still packed. Seems like there is a website dedicated to the Elsinores, and IIRC they sell that red both in rattle cans and just plain cans if you have your own gun.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #218
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 191
Talking Proud owner of 1975 Suzuki TC-185 Ranger

I had one of these (bought it new in 75) and have always said that if I found one for sale, I would buy it... and I found online here in Utah on Monday, called, bought it sight unseen, and picked it up yesterday!

The TC-185 Ranger was the largest dual-range trail bike of its day, and when it's in "low" or "trail" range, you can crawl through (or over) anything (at least that's how I remember it!).

I dropped at the shop to have it serviced, tuned and the carb rebuilt - paid $300 for the bike and it will cost me $300 at the shop, and then, look out - blast from the past and I'll be trail-riding soon!

However, my question is - does anyone else have one of these, and if so, any suggestions (other than eBay or Google) for parts if/when I need them?

I'll also post some pics soon...
Old 11-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #219
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,099
TL125 One Piece Head Cam Question

So, I seized my little TL and am in the process of seeing how bad the damage is. I am stuck at the point of removing the cam, though. According to Clymer, I remove the points plate, centrifugal advance, and line up the cam chain sprocket at TDC. So far, so good. Then, remove the cam chain sprocket and pull out the camshaft by aligning the cam lobes with the opening in the head.

No dice. I get 180 degrees of rotation, essentially between the cam lobes contacting the intake and exhaust rockers. The cam doesn't budge at all at any point in the 180 degree arc. It is also very noisy, as in squeaky noisy.

My fear is that I've fried the cam bearings or warped the head to the point that the cam won't come out. Am I all wet, and I need to tug harder, or there is some additional step I missed? Or, is the silly thing FUBAR?

Thanks for any ideas.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #220
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

so you have the chain off of the sprocket, and the sprocket is out of the head? IIRC, it took some wiggling back and forth (rotating) to get it out- you had to spin the cam so the lobes would go past the rocker arm then spin it back, but it didnt require any force, just some wiggling.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #221
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,099
Yes, I have the cam sprocket off, and the retainer piece above the camshaft. I guessed that I would get it out with a little bit of wiggling, but there is resistance at all points along the 180 degrees of rotation. I was hoping that at some point in the rotation, I would get some movement outward, but I don't.

I"m going to try some additional lube on the bearing surface and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #222
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider
I had one of these (bought it new in 75) and have always said that if I found one for sale, I would buy it... and I found online here in Utah on Monday, called, bought it sight unseen, and picked it up yesterday!

The TC-185 Ranger was the largest dual-range trail bike of its day, and when it's in "low" or "trail" range, you can crawl through (or over) anything (at least that's how I remember it!).

I dropped at the shop to have it serviced, tuned and the carb rebuilt - paid $300 for the bike and it will cost me $300 at the shop, and then, look out - blast from the past and I'll be trail-riding soon!

However, my question is - does anyone else have one of these, and if so, any suggestions (other than eBay or Google) for parts if/when I need them?

I'll also post some pics soon...
Here is a site I just found:

http://www.suzukits.com/

Should be good for info. So far as parts, I think every part ever made for these bikes has shown up on eBay and they have all been very low-cost.

I have a '71 TS 125 Duster that I will be getting into next spring/summer/fall/eternity and I know that I will find what I need on eBay.

Good luck.
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #223
Snaildrake
prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer: 163
Question What to look for in XLs?

I've been looking at bikes 450cc and under that I might be able to buy and run cheaply, mostly for me and my sons to ride around town. I know of a '79 XL185s for sale - what do you all think of those compared to the 250s and 350s?
Any advice on the best years & models?

Of course if I found the right bike I'd be really tempted to give it the street track treatment...Thanks, ~Snail

Snaildrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #224
ol55
n00b

Oddometer: 4
sl 100 kickstart

Good to see this thread! trying to revive my sl100k1 again. The kickstart shaft is stripped and has been drilled and welded but fixes are not working. Question - Will a '73 cb125 shaft work on my bike? The diagrams for each show some different gear and shaft #'s but also some #'s that match. Go for it?

Thanks,
Larry
ol55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #225
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 525
Sl100-sl125

Larry - I am restoring an SL125 and I got an SL100 with it, which my sons are getting going to thrash around on. I understand that the 100/125 engines are identical (slightly larger bore on the 125 which adds torque but makes no more h.p.) and the CB engines are also identical. That's what I am working on so if I'm wrong I'll be in schtuck.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote