nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,173
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #497
skorpioskorpio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Ah yes, turn signals, so the '72-73 XL250 has all the wiring for turn signals in the harness, but did not come with them.

Switch:

'74-75 XL250 and XL350 did come with them. I forget whether the switches changed in 75 or 76 but at one point they moved the on-off for the headlight to the left with bright-dim on the right, the 74 left switch is what you need to balance the stock 72 off-dim-bright right switch. Just dump the stock left horn switch and replace with the combo horn signal left-right switch, the wiring is all there for the switch. Myself I have 72 XL100 bars on the bike (or one of them and another set waiting to be rechromed for the other) which are 2 in narrower (better for SoCal lane splitting, the stock bars are quite wide by modern standards) and XL100 bars are thru-wire so it neatens it up a bit with the switch wires through the bars instead of strapped to them.

Front Stems:

The stock front stems off of a 74-75 XL250 or 350 are a bit Dumboish but interchangeable but shorter stems were used for the back signals for 76 and 77 bikes. The stems simply screw into the threads used by the stock reflectors. Again the wiring for the signals is there in the headlight bucket. Complete NOS signal pods and lenses were still available from http://cmsnl.com last I checked. Although they look the same from the outside 12V signals and 6V are different inside, and used signal pods are usually trashed. K&S makes repros that appear to ground through a separate ground wire instead of through the signal body, not sure how you'd do this and have it still serviceable since there is no way you'd be able to pass 2 wires with connectors on them through the stem, but they are much cheaper than the OEM Honda NOS units I bought.

Rear Stems:

For the rear signals you need a frame loop off of a 74 or 75 bike which has the signal mounts on it and the stems and rubber from one of these bikes. It's a lot of specialized pieces if you want to go with the factory style mounting. There is an inner and outer rubber bushing, a 12mm to 8mm chromed stepped shoulder bolt and large diameter, very thick washer holding it all together on each side. The frame loops came as either black painted or chromed depending on what bike it came off of. As with the front Honda made the signals stick out enough that the rear width of the bike with signals practically doubles with these stupidly long stems. I cut about an 1 1/4 inches off of the stems which makes them look much better. The left rear signal originally used a pretty long wire since it has to go through the clips on the signal type frame loop around to the connector under the seat on the right side. If you use the NOS signal pods you'll have to extend the wire.

Relay:

Blinker relay is a fairly standard Honda 6V relay which have a rubber mount on them. There is tab connectors near the coil under the tank for it as well as a metal angle for the rubber mount to hook onto. For some reason all these bikes have 3 wires for the relay, but I think all the bikes came with 2 wire relays so one wire is not used. I've heard that replacing this relay with a solid state 6V relay will reduce the amount of pulsing that the taillight does when the blinker blinks at idle. Apparently all these bikes have that issue even the ones that had factory signals and it didn't go away until the bikes went 12V in the early 80s.

Anyway, it probably sounds more complicated than it really is. The fronts are a really easy setup. The rears you could pretty easily use a couple pipe reducers from the plumbing section of your local hardware store to make mounts for the rear that are less contrived than the factory setup. Just get a loop with the signal mounts, the holes are basically the same size as 1/2" pipe and the stems are pretty close to the size of 1/4" pipe. Get a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, an electrical box jam nut and a short length of 1/4" pipe and you have a mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterymonkey View Post
That's a great looking trio of XL250's

What are those turn signals off of?
Don't really want to add them on mine,but thinking they would make my daily commute safer.

I ordered the stock Sunstar 15/48 from the bike shop & a 14 tooth arrived
because, apparently, Sunstar doesn't make a 15 tooth for the '72 XL250 anymore.
Going to find a 15 & try both to see the difference.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #498
mkmkmkmk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
xl500s parts

I have some xl500s parts to get rid of,

xl500s tank
seat
front and rear fender

if interested hit me up
mkmkmkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #499
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmkmk View Post
I have some xl500s parts to get rid of,

xl500s tank
seat
front and rear fender

if interested hit me up

PM sent

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #500
batphluke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
And here's the black sheep of the family, not a dirt bike but a direct descendent of the XL, my wife's XBR500, our winter project bike, before we started ripping in to it.

Mal
Attached Images

93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Velorex 562 (attached to Mrs. B's 85 Honda XBR500)
batphluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #501
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 454
^^ Never seen one, never even heard of one. Looks like a more useable version of the GB500?
...and a fun project!
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #502
batphluke
Adventurer

The XBR500 was I think only produced for Europe and possibly Japan. It predates the GB500. Ours is an early 1985 model, producing 44bhp and 31.8ft-lb torque. Plenty of usable power for a 500 thumper and really miserly on gas. Also built like a tank, the story goes that the FT500, the first attempt by Honda to put the dirt bike 500 motor in a road bike was so abysmal (only 33bhp, unreliable electrics, weird flat tracker styling and Honda's old bugbear terminal camshaft failure) that they went overboard to make sure the XBR worked properly. I've not ridden one but have been told that despite the pretty styling of the GB500 the engine performance is again down to 32ish bhp due to emission regulations.
Renders the whole thing pointless if it don't fly IMHO, wouldn't mind a pair of those cute spoked wheels though. I will post more pics when its back together if anyone wants to see them.

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #503
jitterymonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
I will post more pics when its back together if anyone wants to see them.
Mal
Hell yeah, That thing is wicked.
Are those the stock wheels?

[joefast14] Never modify a Yamaha SRX-6, they turn into a money hole that you can never get out of.

jitterymonkey screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 06:17 PM
jitterymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #504
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,322
anybody know the stock 1980 XR500 shock eye to eye length??i found a set i may want to use for my '79 KLX250...Progressive makes the same shock for both bikes at 17.5" eye to eye my factory ones are 18" i can go down to 17" or so with out too much problem but wanted to verify what the factory length is.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #505
neilios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
My latest project, another Honda single.

C&J frame with 350 (to be 412) engine.

neilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #506
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,130
and where is the build thread?!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #507
batphluke
Adventurer

Yeah, the XBR as pictured is totally stock apart from the micron 2 into 1 exhaust. Also we have the seat cowl that makes it into a single seater.
Maybe I should start a rebuild thread on this bike?
The velorex sidecar was originally intended for my Triumph, but would appear to be totally the wrong chair for the bike, when we sat it next to the XBR they looked made for each other, but on the other hand its such a cute little cafe racer, I dunno what to do...

Mal
Attached Images

93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #508
batphluke
Adventurer

Yeah, its me with the XBR again. Just wanted to say the XL's on this thread are awesome, I have got to get one. I don't think I've ever seen a 350 in the UK, used to be loads of 250's and a good number of 500's/600's about, but never see them anymore. Hopefully there's lots of 'em in sheds and yards waiting for me to find 'em... well got to live in hope. Look after those beauties and ride 'em like they're meant to be ridden.

Mal
93 Triumph Trident 900
83 Kawasaki Z550
78 Honda C70
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #509
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 454
'75 CB125 w/4900 mi. in MN

(no affiliation)

http://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/2193329825.html

Low miles. 4900 original. Whole bike is unbelievable condition. Brand new tires. Ran great all summer until this fall when carb started flooding out. Get's around 100 mpg. according tp my guestimate. First with cash gets it. I will remove post when sold. Email and leave a number and put CB 125 S in subjuct line or it will go to spam. Thanks. Will trade for equal ammount in silver. Thanks again.

Only $600
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #510
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
anybody know the stock 1980 XR500 shock eye to eye length??i found a set i may want to use for my '79 KLX250...Progressive makes the same shock for both bikes at 17.5" eye to eye my factory ones are 18" i can go down to 17" or so with out too much problem but wanted to verify what the factory length is.
Works Performance do 16.75" and 17.5"
I think it's stock and long.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote