Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #571
jitterymonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer View Post
Well my mates I'm catching up with and Ive been sorting the bike out with are the 555 crews http://www.thefivefivefive.com/ so 2 of em are already down there one on a xl250 74 and the other on a 74 xl350 both have been rebuilt a few weeks before they left
I think a TAT by the 555 is on the cards should be an adventure I'm planning on bring the beast back for that!!!
Oh and spent the arvo on the side of a road with fueling issues so the fun has begun (we threw a carby from a Harley on her, any carby freaks out there for a 75 350? We need help sorting the carby out)
Ride on!!!
We need pictures...lots of pictures.
& I love them crazy side car outfits!

I want to build similar to this one for my XL250

[joefast14] Never modify a Yamaha SRX-6, they turn into a money hole that you can never get out of.
jitterymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #572
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterymonkey View Post
We need pictures...lots of pictures.
& I love them crazy side car outfits!
that's one of the guys in Guatemala Mike

and the guy who bought my beemer in colorado bought Eric's (the guy who I stayed with in Knoxville) rig back it's a trip to ride as it pivots (bike still leans over) as you turn

last minute prep for the bike

and wallah! bling for the bike thanks to young Landon!!
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #573
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

oh and check their blog for more pics and I'm starting one also

Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #574
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

oh some video I filmed on Mikes 350 in San Pedro Guatemala (and on my G650XC) a few weeks ago (damn iPod narrow pic!!) Music- Clutch: Spacegrass

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #575
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Hell Yeah!
Dodge Swinger, 1973!
Thanks for bring us along!

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #576
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
350 Chevy for 350 Honda

I just brought this XL350 home. The frame it's a '75, but there are some other years' parts mixed in. I traded a 350 Chevy motor with a knocking rod for the Honda. Kind of a cool 350-for-a-350 trade. That's one beautiful bike on one beautiful truck. I'm a lucky man.

The bike has certainly had a hard life and needs a fair amount of work, but no serious damage to anything is evident from looking at it. The guy said that it ran great until last fall when it started running like it had a plugged jet in the carb. There's no fuel filter, so this could very well be the case. Compression feels very healthy and it has spark.
It even came with a title, though it's so screwed up that it might as well not have. The "buyer" information has already been filled out and some things have had attempted erasures. No good. I haven't decided whether I'll get a replacement title and plate it or just keep it as a illegal, countryside bike. Probably the latter.
I had a pretty nice '72 XL250 for a while, but I ended up trading it for a XT500 Yamaha. I wasn't impressed with the power output of the 250. It seemed to me that the 4-valve head took away some of the low-end grunt that a 250 single should have, and didn't give anything back on the top end. Hopefully the extra 100cc of the 350 will address that.
I think that I'll clean the carb, check the valves, change the oil, clean the slinger, and fix some of the crazy wiring, and see if it'll start.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #577
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,102
it actually doesnt look to bad with that 175 tank on it. Interesting muffler too! Should be lots a fun. The 350 has GOBS of low end grunt, sure you wont be dissapointed there.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #578
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for identifying the tank. I knew that it wasn't the original tank, and I had a strong suspicion that it wasn't even XL350. I really like the orange and black paint schemes on that era of Hondas, and the tank is immaculate on the inside. The outside is kind of beat up and dented, but not too bad. The bike cam with the original tank, too. I haven't checked it out yet to see if it's any good. The 175 tank looks like someone took a hammer to it to put carburetor clearance into it. What a shame.
The muffler is a SuperTrapp with no baffles or end plate. I bet it sounds gnarly. What's even more interesting about the muffler is visible in the picture if you look closely: The spring has been removed from the left rear shock to make room for the muffler. Brilliant engineering. Aside from that, the exhaust looks well built with sound welds. I'll do some reshaping so I can have the luxury of both springs on my rear shocks.
It's incredible the things that are done to these old dirt bikes.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #579
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,102
wow, I didnt notice the shock... The tank could be from a 125 too, I think they had an orange tank as well a year or two.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #580
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

It's always fun to play the guessing/identifying game...
Imho, definitely a 175 gas tank, maybe more like the seat perhaps looks like 175 stuff,,,
It's not a great picture so it's a little hard to see...
I don't see buddy pegs or mounts on the swing arm, the 250s and 350s had 'em but the 175s did not...
Oh, and the white fenders,,, '76 they were available on the 250/350, could just be white paint too...

No matter, have fun with it... !

Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #581
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm. Well, I know the frame and motor are XL350 for sure, though I was wrong about the year. It's a '74. You're right about the lack of buddy peg mounts on the swingarm. I don't know why that is. The swingarm looks like it belongs on the frame. The seat also looks like an original fitment. The hinges and seat lock all line up and work properly.
The fenders are more of a light silver, and they have red pinstriping. That's the same color scheme that's on the tank that the guy said was on the bike when he got it. It appears to be the original paint. Light silver with red pinstriping on the bottom and the typical Honda wings on the side. It has the cutout for carb clearance on the right rear corner. I did a brief look around and didn't see any XL350s with that paint. Here's a picture:

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #582
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

In regards to the swingarm, I was looking at Honda parts diagrams and the swingarms for the '74 and '75 XL350 are shown with no provisions for buddy peg mounting. They seemed to get pegs in '76.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #583
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,525
Here is a good rebuild thread by Ernest T on the 1974 XL350, Lots of pics.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405688

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #584
skorpioskorpio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
In regards to the swingarm, I was looking at Honda parts diagrams and the swingarms for the '74 and '75 XL350 are shown with no provisions for buddy peg mounting. They seemed to get pegs in '76.
Sideport XL350s do not have passenger pegs, Side port XL250s do have passenger peg mounts, but only K1s ('74) and K2s ('75) came with them, K0s ('72-73s) had the mounts but were a dealer install, not factory.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #585
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, you guys sure know these bikes.
My experience is more with the center port 250/350s.
And, I do have a couple of xl175s around for fun too.
I reckon that's how we/I learn,,, diving in!