Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #1051
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
I just listed this bike in the PNW For Sale forum.

-sold-

pckopp screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 03:51 PM
pckopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #1052
rodgerdodger
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1982 Honda XL250R Carb

I'm having some trouble finding parts for the carb from my '82 Honda XL250. I'm thinking it might be easier to replace the whole carb. Has anyone done this on a similar model? Are there any obvious options?

I'm thinking about a newer carb rather than buying a replacement from a wrecker so parts are easier to source in future.

Cheers.
rodgerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #1053
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
My 74 Xl175/200 (yes I did the (to some) unthinkable I swapped in a 07 Lifan 200cc Dual sport engine. But I wanted electric start and parts availability. Did a full restore and repaint on it. It runs great and I am very happy with it.

gloud screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 07:20 AM
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #1054
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 163
Honda xl

I rode a 250 xl for a year around Moab Utah. I got it because the owner couldn't start it. several years of sitting. It was plug ,carb full of dried gas deposits air cleaner pluged I think it was the original from new. He said he was leaving town if I fixed it he would take half of selling price. He left his Grandmothers address.When it was running I liked it so wrote to say I'd buy it letter was returned wrong address. I ran it a year then when I was leaving town I gave it to a friends 16 year old who was ready for drivers license and street legal machine. total cost was one plug and one rear tire.The right price!
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #1055
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud View Post
My 74 Xl175/200 (yes I did the (to some) unthinkable I swapped in a 07 Lifan 200cc Dual sport engine. But I wanted electric start and parts availability. Did a full restore and repaint on it. It runs great and I am very happy with it.
Any more info on the swap? Direct bolt in, wiring issues, new cruising speed, etc? Looks very clean, I like it!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #1056
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Any more info on the swap? Direct bolt in, wiring issues, new cruising speed, etc? Looks very clean, I like it!

seems kind of a step back going from a OHC honda engine to a pushrod motor
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #1057
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I had a couple of 175s,,, Those engines were nothing to get excited about. Sort of a one off, short lived unit with too many frailties and a propensity for sheering starter shafts.

Your bike looks great, and the e-start LIfan is probably a great compliment to the little enduro.
An option I liked the thought of was a Honda 185/200,,, much better than the 175, but no e-start.

As for carbs,,, my brain's gone blank,,, (it happens) but there are real good places to go for such things and get a nice new one... Just don't do any chinese carbs, heard too many sad stories about those...
I'm remembering Powroll,, if they don't have it, they'll know who does...

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #1058
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I have a thread going over at Chinariders.
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...er=asc&start=0
I had to adjust the rear engine mount 3/8" to get the sprockets to line up, make a new front engine mount and a new top mount. Honestly the bike was a turd when I got it with the broken starter shaft that is no longer available. It did run ok and I actually went so far as to find most of the parts and built a new starter shaft. but it would likely not hold up well.
Runs fine, Only glitch on the carb is idling for more than a min and it picks up revs, otherwise it runs fine. I swapped over the Lifan wiring harness and am using a Vapor for instruments. Overall I am very happy with it very smooth and It will do 70 if I want to. it is happiest around 55 which for my 40 mile commute is faster than the speed limit.

The Lifan engine is really where the jap engines where back in the early 70's as quality goes. (the rest of the bikes suck)
The bottom end and midrange is better on the Lifan and the top end is about the same (flat LOL) It was a winter project to get my mind off the passing of my mom and having to deal with family as I am the Executor. and it gave me a little commuter bike Old school like I enjoy. I have kicked enough engines in my days. (Maico 490 is why I have a limp sometimes LOL)

I figured I would give the lifan a try and for under 100.00 for the parts bike (and I sold off another 40.00 for it cost me 60.00) it was worth playing with. nothing I did can't be undone.

I am a long time 2 Smoke guy and it has taken some time to get used to a 4 T But I have been enjoying myself with it. and Hey Haters gonna hate. LOL It is what it is. I figure on picking up a new head and cylinder kit (about 120.00 in new parts maybe and doing some playing around to see if I can get it to flow better and stick a Mikuni on it. I am running a down pipe from the XL on it now and it looks and sounds good. (and has a spark arrester. LOL.

gloud screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 11:16 AM
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1059
Newspaper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
`81 XL250S

Does anyone know if the specs for the inner spring are a misprint?

All four of my inner springs are about 35 mm long, which is about the same as the outer springs which are in spec.
Newspaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #1060
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Does anyone know the speedometer drive ratio for a 75' XL250?
1:1
2:1
2240:60

Our custom XL build in sig line
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1061
Csharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
In the process of buying a 1976 xl350 and have a few questions....

Hi everyone! I am in the process of buying a 1976 xl350. After many months of searching for a 1972-1975 Honda xl250 in TX that wasn't 1500 dollars I decided to go look at a 1976 xl350. The seat and tank are both damaged, and one of the bolts holding the bars to the forks is bent. Its street legal and it runs. I was wondering if the tank and seat from my 1975 xl250 will fit on the 1976 xl350? Any swap ideas? The 250 is in much better shape but not sure if any of the parts from the 250 will bolt up to the 350. Interested to hear any ideas! Thanks.
Csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #1062
NellieDriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Xl 500 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad View Post
I got this about six weeks ago...11000 miles, original owner, pretty complete:

Not sure which direction to go with it yet. Will definitely need a set of shocks; anyone got a suggestions on shocks? And would love to find this headlight surround; anyone?

Joe in WI
Is this two-color paint original? I had a model's 1983 in red. It was a wonderful bike with a good performance. I sold after two years and the new owner accidented about 6 weeks later. The bike was broken and the guy had a lot of broken bones.
Bye, Nelliedriver
NellieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #1063
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csharp View Post
Hi everyone! I am in the process of buying a 1976 xl350. After many months of searching for a 1972-1975 Honda xl250 in TX that wasn't 1500 dollars I decided to go look at a 1976 xl350. The seat and tank are both damaged, and one of the bolts holding the bars to the forks is bent. Its street legal and it runs. I was wondering if the tank and seat from my 1975 xl250 will fit on the 1976 xl350? Any swap ideas? The 250 is in much better shape but not sure if any of the parts from the 250 will bolt up to the 350. Interested to hear any ideas! Thanks.
Nope, they wont.... A lot of the motor parts are the same, but the XL underwent a major renovation for '76, and just about nothing will be a quick easy swap as far as the frame goes. Wheels, nuts and bolts, etc would, but the tank, seat, side panels, exhaust, fenders, etc were all different.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #1064
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Ok i need some help with my xl500r, the brake light will come on when the front brake is applied but not the back, I have checked the switch and it is working just fine, Also I'd like to ask on this bike when the key is turned on, are the light supposed come on or stay off until the bike is running?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #1065
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

The headlights will stay OFF until the bike is running. The battery will only run the dash lights and turn signals when the bike is off.

As for the brake light, I believe it can only be the switch by your brake pedal or the wiring to and from it if the light works with the front brake. Double check your switch AND the wiring. Maybe you could test the wiring by unplugging the switch and touching the two wires together? Not sure if that will work....

-Charles De Mar.