Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1111
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
It's what forums like this are for to benefit from what others have learned. That whole points gap too thin thing caused me to have to change a glorious ride on my cleaned up old XL250, to a humbling and strenuous 3 mile push through Beverly Hills a couple years back.

Also a lot of the Australian VMX racers swear that aftermarket points last for a couple races and OEM Honda points last a decade, so if your bike has been diddled with, and it sounds like it has, the previous owner may have replaced the points, as we all think we should, with what is commonly available, that none of us would ever question.... I mean it's just a spring and a contact, right? But according to some it really matters.

I personally also get better spark, first or 2nd kick starts and never a sputter with ND plugs (X24ES-U) and will take 4 or 5 kicks and pop occasionally with the equivelent NGK. This is true on 2 different XL250s one high milage (over 30,000mi) and one low (less than 1000mi).

Thanks. It's off to the shop for an ND plug then. I found using ND ES-ZU plugs on my Norton gave about one horsepower on the dyno.

I'm off to the races in two weeks time and really it's going to be a test session. I'll try both carbs and see how the jetting looks and how it runs once it's really up to temperature. Riding round the block isn't a great way to get a bike set up :)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #1112
PhineasBMW
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 16
I want to sell this one!

1982 XL500R...12400 miles..Everything works.. Starts easy..Lots of new stuff..$1200.00...OBO...In Mississippi!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #1113
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasBMW View Post
1982 XL500R...12400 miles..Everything works.. Starts easy..Lots of new stuff..$1200.00...OBO...In Mississippi!

nice looking XL I have a 82 also, its a hell of a lot of fun
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #1114
neilios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
A few pictures of my XL based racers in action (or just after) Redline 350

A big jump for a 4 inch travel bike.

New and old C&J and CRF 450's

Engine for the next project 412cc

Not an XL but my old Red Rocket mixing it with the moderns.

neilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #1115
jon2xc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eek *Help!* Reviving my magnificent old XL600RMG - need a camshaft !!!

Hi All

Love the thread.

I'm desperately looking for a new camshaft for my XL600 RMG ('86 PD04) - Honda part # 14100-MK2-000 - does anybody have one lying around in their shed and would be willing to move it one?

If I can't find a new OEM, is it better to have the old cam's lobes built up and machined back to spec (whatever that is) or go for an aftermarket option like a Hotcam?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Jon
jon2xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #1116
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Megacycle do one for that bike.

http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/Page31.pdf
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #1117
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Xl200r

Here's my first project
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #1118
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,030
FYI...

Working on a '78 XL350 for a friend. Discovered an air filter that fits with only minor modifcations! Came off of a Can-Am DS250.

Little tall, but fits perfectly over the base. Just have to trim a little off the end!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1119
xteacher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
This exact thing happened to my 75 XL350 that I had years ago. I was a poor college kid at the time so I JB welded it. It worked well and I sold it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
There is an adjustment on the left side of the engine- should be behind a rubber plug above what kind of looks like a grease zerk on the side of the engine case. If adjusting it doesnt help, you may have a bigger problem. I have seen a couple of different XL's where water has gotten in the case where the clutch actuator goes in. The water sits in there forever and starts to eat away the magnesium until the whole actuator pops in and out of place. Only remedy then is a new engine sidecover.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #1120
Jenger420
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey guys..

New 87 XL250 owner here. Shes a little beat up, but shes street legal.

I want to know what parts are interchangeable between the XL and the XRL? For example, the exhaust / headers? I am pretty sure they are both the same engine with minor differences. From the looks of it, the XRL exhaust looks exactly like my XL.

Another issue is that it has no key (yes, I have the title for it). The PO lost the key and rigged it up so that a tiny flathead screwdriver is now the "key". I am having ignition problems, only getting spark 3/8 times so for now I leave the ign always "on" but eventually I will need a new one and they seem near impossible to find.

Ignitions cant vary much from bike to bike, right? Id assume an XRL ignition w/ key would work but I am not 100%. Any info id appreciate! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #1121
john479
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
78 XL250 valve springs

Hi all,
I'm rebuilding my 78 XL250. Nothing really wrong with the engine that I've found apart from being low on compression. Just rebuilt the bottom end and now doing the top.

In my manual it says the minimum length of the inner spring is 42.5mm and all mine are 40.5mm approximately. Are they all worn or is the manual wrong? The outer larger springs are all within spec.

Also, what is the purpose of the inner spring?

It seems that the intake valves are fine but the exhaust valve and seats are beyond the service limit of 2mm. Is it common for exhaust valves to need replacing before intake valves? Would it be best to replace all of the valves?

Sorry for so many questions Hope someone can help and thanks :)

John
john479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #1122
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by john479 View Post
Hi all,
I'm rebuilding my 78 XL250. Nothing really wrong with the engine that I've found apart from being low on compression. Just rebuilt the bottom end and now doing the top.

In my manual it says the minimum length of the inner spring is 42.5mm and all mine are 40.5mm approximately. Are they all worn or is the manual wrong? The outer larger springs are all within spec.

Also, what is the purpose of the inner spring?

It seems that the intake valves are fine but the exhaust valve and
seats are beyond the service limit of 2mm. Is it common for exhaust valves to need replacing before intake valves? Would it be best to replace all of the valves?

Sorry for so many questions Hope someone can help and thanks :)

John
The inner springs on my xl 500 were like yours so I ordered replacements and they were within spec as per the manual. Not sure if I ordered them from bike bandit or from megacycle.

The exhaust valves get most of the abuse because they run hotter due to not being cooled by the air fuel mixture running over them like the intake valves. If your intakes are fine then there is no need to replace them unless you are going with a high lift cam and want to put some harder valves in there, but if you do the high lift cam you will want some stronger springs too.

As for the purpose of the inner springs you will get a better answer for someone else but I do know that my valves were floating and kissing the piston at high rpm with the worn inners.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #1123
john479
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
The inner springs on my xl 500 were like yours so I ordered replacements and they were within spec as per the manual. Not sure if I ordered them from bike bandit or from megacycle.

The exhaust valves get most of the abuse because they run hotter due to not being cooled by the air fuel mixture running over them like the intake valves. If your intakes are fine then there is no need to replace them unless you are going with a high lift cam and want to put some harder valves in there, but if you do the high lift cam you will want some stronger springs too.

As for the purpose of
the inner springs you will get a better answer for someone else but I do know that my valves were floating and kissing the piston at high rpm with the worn inners.
Thanks very much redprimo, that explains a lot. I shall get replacements ordered.

Also, if you or anyone else can advise; the seats and valves are about 1.7-1.8mm wide (for the exhaust side) and the manual says the service limit is 2.0mm. I spoke to my local bike guy who is very experienced and I trust him and all but want to see what others think. He says, as this isn't a high performance race bike/engine, I can just lap in valves and not have the seats recut. Do you think that I could just relap the valves I have instead of getting more? They had a little carbon build up on the seats as I think they were not quite sealing as well as they should. They have plenty of meat on them, not as much as the intake side but now I have removed the carbon they are very smooth and clean.
I should say that the carbon was not that bad, just the odd spot around the edge.

Thanks once again :)

John
john479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #1124
jack82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
My old girl.......she only comes out on Sundays.

jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #1125
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack82 View Post
My old girl.......she only comes out on Sundays.

Neat photo, where was that taken?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote