User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
carmima OP
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
KTM 690 Enduro review

Fired in a quick 120k ride yesterday to get a feel for things prior to the Bendethera ride next weekend.

First impressions (mainly based on back to back comparision with a 2008 DR):
The bike is noticably higher at the seat than the DR but the balance of the bike is great - probably because the centre of gravity is lower with the under seat tank.

The steering is very very nervous - don't know if this is based on tyre choice. I never test rode the bike with the standard fitment OEM tyres. I had the shop fit Michelin S12's (more on that in a minute).

The ergonomics are great in relation to leg room and reach to bars - although I did move the bars forward to the maximum marked position (I'm 183cm tall) I couldn't ride in a standing position on the DR. I can stand riding the 690 and feel very comfortable.

The power is fantastic - 20hp isn't a huge difference in a car or on a sports bike but the difference of 20hp when compared to the DR is pure grin factor. Using the power to get out of corners is amazing, the bike literally launches itself forward. Throttle control must be used or you'll quickly learn that highsiding hurts.
I read an article on a US bike site and the Jurno was saying he could do roll-on burnouts just using throttle (no brake). I can confirm this actually works. Leaving St Alburns pub yesterday and performing a little show for the spectators, I was planning on just poping a wheelie as I was leaving. The wheelie turned into a wheelie-burnout as the rear broke traction (on tar) and had me power drifting and wheelieing at the same time .

The gearbox is very slick - snicks into gears very sweetly indeed. It's very close ratio though, so be prepared for changing a lot. It's not dissimmilar to doing a track day at Oran Park - continually up and down the gears.

The brakes are unreal on tar and hard packed dirt but trecherous on the loose stuff - it takes very little input on the lever - 1 finger braking is the order of the day on soft stuff.

Back to the Michelin S12's. I've never used them before so don't know how they normally affect handling. One thing for sure, they howl like a banshee on both tar and dirt.
I didn't check tyre pressure before setting off () so don't know what pressure the shop decided on. What I can say is I didn't like it at all. The first half of the ride saw me leave St Albans heading north along Settlers Rd up to The Great North Rd then to Letter A and into the Watagans. I couldn't come to terms with the bike at all. As mentioned the steering is nervous but the tyres were making things decidedly worse. I couldn't get the front to hook up no matter how I entered corners and even on straight sections the feeling was vague at best.
At the point I stopped for a comfort break and decided to head back, I thought I'd try reducing tyre pressure a little (particularly the front). I didn't have a gauge with me so just went by tyre feel. Instant TRANSFORMATION - I was on a completely different bike...now the bike made me feel like Stefan Merriman. I can't adequately describe how this changed the handling and feel of the bike. However it resulted in me punting along the lower reaches of Settlers Rd at 120k, feedback from the front was awesome and 100+ through those great sweepers on the flood plains was a breeze.

Getting home I checked tyre pressures!!
8psi front
16psi rear
Leaves me in a bit of a quandary on what pressures to run in the future. Given how much air I let out (seat of the pants guess) I'd say pressure was set around 22psi from the shop and for my riding style this was way too hard.

I might try it at 16 front and rear although any feedback on S12's would be appreciated.

Well that's about it for now.
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Nice review mate

Those michy S12s wont last long on the back of that bike, thats for sure
Soft terrain tyre for mud, sand, deep gravel etc. very nice on the front, i'd stick something harder on the back.

Offroad I'd be using 14 psi front & back if the wheels have rim locks.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
I ran S12's on my VOR 530 and KTM 620 SC and they are shit on hard packed as they walk around on the long knobs but in the soft stuff they are great but then you would expect that from a soft terain tyer wouldnt you.

Glad you like the new toy they do look nice .

Cheers Matt
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
690E vs G650

I had a wee test ride on Hotdogs 690E yesterday... And rode a BMW G650 today... really didn't know quite what to think about either of them. Both had things i liked and disliked.

Hotdogs is a shorty so he's pulled the bar clamps back as far as they would go, and he'd dropped the front forks by about 20mm playing around with geometry.

We stood the 690 side by side with the DR, and the wheel based is about the same, the handle bars are the same height (I have bar risers and high bend renthals on the DR), but the KTM seat is a few inches higher.

To me this made the KTM feel really small, like I was too close to the front of the bike and it turns really sharp into corners. But I think that may also have a fair bit to do with the forks being dropped. I loved the motor, but thought the suspension was maybe too harsh.

By comparison the G650 feels roomier. The motor felt lazier than the 690, and the suspension was way too squishy. Just pulling up to the lights had the front diving and back lifting, and then once you'd stopped you rock back as the rear settles... but otherwise i preferred the G650 for handling.

I'm undecided about each bike. I want the 690 motor and rear shock in the G650 frame... with slightly stiffer front.

I mentioned this to the BMW saleman, who said... yeah 9 out of 10 G650's we sell the owners replace the rear shock.. well Mr BMW, if they're such crap, why don't you do the honourable thing and ditch them and put a decent shock in there?

Maybe i'll have to wait until the 690R gets here...
kiwipeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
carmima OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
I had a wee test ride on Hotdogs 690E yesterday... And rode a BMW G650 today... really didn't know quite what to think about either of them. Both had things i liked and disliked.

Hotdogs is a shorty so he's pulled the bar clamps back as far as they would go, and he'd dropped the front forks by about 20mm playing around with geometry.

We stood the 690 side by side with the DR, and the wheel based is about the same, the handle bars are the same height (I have bar risers and high bend renthals on the DR), but the KTM seat is a few inches higher.

To me this made the KTM feel really small, like I was too close to the front of the bike and it turns really sharp into corners. But I think that may also have a fair bit to do with the forks being dropped. I loved the motor, but thought the suspension was maybe too harsh.

By comparison the G650 feels roomier. The motor felt lazier than the 690, and the suspension was way too squishy. Just pulling up to the lights had the front diving and back lifting, and then once you'd stopped you rock back as the rear settles... but otherwise i preferred the G650 for handling.

I'm undecided about each bike. I want the 690 motor and rear shock in the G650 frame... with slightly stiffer front.

I mentioned this to the BMW saleman, who said... yeah 9 out of 10 G650's we sell the owners replace the rear shock.. well Mr BMW, if they're such crap, why don't you do the honourable thing and ditch them and put a decent shock in there?

Maybe i'll have to wait until the 690R gets here...
Hey Pete

dropping the forks that far will definitely affect the steering as it changes the rake considerably. Not a good comparison.

I mentioned in my report that the steering of the stock bike is nervous (a damper will fix that) but it steers nicely into and through corners.

Standard suspension is on the harsh side although nothing that can't be tuned out with a few clicks off the compression.
Although that's one of the reasons I bought the 690. I love firm suspension and always set my bikes a little on the firmer side...gives me the feedback I need.

cheers
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
hotdogs
Expert daydreamer

Oddometer: 156
My thoughts on KTM690 enduro

My experiments with trying different fork levels in the triple clamps
are over. Today I reverted the forks to their original position . I find the standard height offers the best of both stability and steering response .

I have never found my steering to be nervous except for when I pulled the forks though the clamps by 20mm .If anthing the 690e feels rock solid in a straight line and requires a lot of physical input to tip it into a corner .( hence my experimentation with fork height ) It has awesome power and loves to be steered from the rear wheel which unfortunately is beyond my ability .

I feel any nervousness could be a result of the hard compression dampening which causes the front end to want to skip on rocky terrain and hard edges such as potholes .

Apart from that my 690e has best engine I have ever owned . It is so tractable and grunty and will chug up the gnarliest hills without effort and yet when you let the revs build up it turns into a fiery beast with powerful acceleration that you have to experience to believe. The six speed gearbox has close ratios but the standard gearing is spot on enabling you to both get up the steepest terrain as well as purr along on the highway at 120kph with the engine smooth and free of vibration with plenty of power left in reserve to overtake that convoy of road trains if needed.

I have done 2000kms on the bike now and the engine has freed up from when it was new and returns about 20kms per litre of fuel .Around 240kms from my 12 litre tank is average and much better than I anticipated from such a high performance engine .
hotdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogs
My experiments with trying different fork levels in the triple clamps
are over. Today I reverted the forks to their original position . I find the standard height offers the best of both stability and steering response .

I have never found my steering to be nervous except for when I pulled the forks though the clamps by 20mm .If anthing the 690e feels rock solid in a straight line and requires a lot of physical input to tip it into a corner .( hence my experimentation with fork height ) It has awesome power and loves to be steered from the rear wheel which unfortunately is beyond my ability .

I feel any nervousness could be a result of the hard compression dampening which causes the front end to want to skip on rocky terrain and hard edges such as potholes .

Apart from that my 690e has best engine I have ever owned . It is so tractable and grunty and will chug up the gnarliest hills without effort and yet when you let the revs build up it turns into a fiery beast with powerful acceleration that you have to experience to believe. The six speed gearbox has close ratios but the standard gearing is spot on enabling you to both get up the steepest terrain as well as purr along on the highway at 120kph with the engine smooth and free of vibration with plenty of power left in reserve to overtake that convoy of road trains if needed.

I have done 2000kms on the bike now and the engine has freed up from when it was new and returns about 20kms per litre of fuel .Around 240kms from my 12 litre tank is average and much better than I anticipated from such a high performance engine .
Hotdogs, what sort of tyres have you got on the bike, are they the originals? I was looking at the 690E last year and took one for a test ride but only on the tar. It felt very responsive and handled twisty tar roads easily. The centre of gravity felt low as well. I wish I had taken it on the dirt. I like the idea of the 690 R as well and I will take one for a test ride if they ever get to Australia I am very tempted to buy one next year. I will keep my KTM 950 SE as well but I want two toys

Bruce

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
hotdogs
Expert daydreamer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx
Hotdogs, what sort of tyres have you got on the bike, are they the originals? Bruce
I ran a set of Metzler MC5s on one of my wet dirt riding weekends but now as I ride dualsport type rides I have reverted to the standard Metzler Saharas . The Saharas have lots of grip on the black top as well as adequate level of traction in the dirt. I would thoroughly recommend them as an all purpose tyre .
hotdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,447
Metzeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogs
I ran a set of Metzler MC5s on one of my wet dirt riding weekends but now as I ride dualsport type rides I have reverted to the standard Metzler Saharas . The Saharas have lots of grip on the black top as well as adequate level of traction in the dirt. I would thoroughly recommend them as an all purpose tyre .
I am currently running the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara on my 950 SE. They are great on the tar and acceptable on the dirt.

I was running the Dunlop 908 RR before and these are good tyres particularly for off road stuff but I was not happy on wet tar roads

Bruce

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
carmima OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx
I am currently running the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara on my 950 SE. They are great on the tar and acceptable on the dirt.

I was running the Dunlop 908 RR before and these are good tyres particularly for off road stuff but I was not happy on wet tar roads

Bruce
It sort of forces you into a situation of having 2 sets of wheels. I've been debating whether I'll head this route but for now I'll use the Rocket for the daily commute and leave the knobbies on the 690 full time.

I bought it more for off-road anyway. It's way more dirt oriented than the DR and given the lack of seat ergonomics it'd hurt to do long hauls on tar.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Hey man, give us an update now that you have some more time on the 690. I may have been bitten by an Orange bug on a recent trip... unfortunately (or fortunately?) my wallet can't support the disease
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
davecambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Can some owners of a 690 enduro please let me know a few points here. I love the idea of this bike, but currently have two bikes, a TTR 250 for off road, and a 2009 ducati multistrada 1100 for road riding.

1) will this 690 enduro replace both of my bikes. Is there finally a bike that will do both off road and on road well, instead of compromising one or the other.

2) obviously it will out perform the TTR, and obviously it wont outperform the ducati speedwise, but will the 690 be able to tour? is there a new seat option that isnt shit like the OEM 690 one. Id like to be able to go for a ride for a few hours without wanting to get off due to being uncomfortable or the bike vibrating all the nuts and bolts off it. I would definately be wishing i hadnt got rid of the ducati if i couldnt go for a couple of hour ride on the tar on the 690 comfortably. Im not too concerned about the speed, i dont go more than the speed limit on the highway often anyway and im sure the 690 will be able to have overtaking power left in it at 110km/h anyway so thats not an issue. what is the top speed with standard gearing by the way?

i hope i havent asked rediculous questions here, but my main concern is i love my ducati, but dont ride it too often, probably once a month. so im thinking about cutting down the rego/insurance from two bikes to one.

VEEEEEEERY big decision.....
davecambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
ktmpunter
freefall guru

Oddometer: 74
read the 198 pages of the 690 thread

[QUOTE=davecambo;18090906]Can some owners of a 690 enduro please let me know a few points here. I love the idea of this bike, but currently have two bikes, a TTR 250 for off road, and a 2009 ducati multistrada 1100 for road riding.

1) will this 690 enduro replace both of my bikes. Is there finally a bike that will do both off road and on road well, instead of compromising one or the other.

2) obviously it will out perform the TTR, and obviously it wont outperform the ducati speedwise, but will the 690 be able to tour? is there a new seat option that isnt shit like the OEM 690 one. Id like to be able to go for a ride for a few hours without wanting to get off due to being uncomfortable or the bike vibrating all the nuts and bolts off it. I would definately be wishing i hadnt got rid of the ducati if i couldnt go for a couple of hour ride on the tar on the 690 comfortably. Im not too concerned about the speed, i dont go more than the speed limit on the highway often anyway and im sure the 690 will be able to have overtaking power left in it at 110km/h anyway so thats not an issue. what is the top speed with standard gearing by the way?

i hope i havent asked rediculous questions here, but my main concern is i love my ducati, but dont ride it too often, probably once a month. so im thinking about cutting down the rego/insurance from two bikes to one.

VEEEEEEERY big decision.....

You can get all the info you need from there.....you will never look back
You need a wider seat form Australian Comfy Seats, Dunlop 606,s front & back for normal use running 18-20lbs, or Motoz Desert HT on rear for hard & rocky work, plus a Michelin Desrt on the front, both very tuff and you can drop them to 15lbs in the slop if you get caught. Steering damper and drop the forks a bit and that will get rid of the head shakes. 16 tooth front sprocket good for 140klms easy all day. 15 tooth std for tight work. Man up with th vibrations nothing you can do. Set of motard wheels would be nice......got any i can buy?
Cheers
Catman
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Hey Catman, have you used the Tractionator on the rear yet?

I found it should have been called the Non-Tractionator on my xch, especially on wet bitumen or clay. Least traction of any rear tyre I have used and the transition from centre to side lugs was always very sketchy and obvious. Tough as nails though.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,097
Looks to nobody has bothered to change there offset on there triple clamps There are adjustable ppl and overlooked and its free , best of all alone time in the shed just you your bike and a beer or two
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote