Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post

OK, I think I need to take one for a ride. The TE hammers to 130, but wouldn't go close to lifting at 110 or topping out to 180+.
my 690 wouldn,t go close to lifting the front at 110 nor would any of the others that mates up here had.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #32
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
No it's not. Proper enduro bikes are the EXC range weighing less than 114kgs dry. How many 690s are raced in competitive enduros?
I didn't think we were talking about racing, just typical aussie enduro/trail riding. For that, I can keep up with 450's on knarly stuff, and leave them for dead when the trail opens up a bit. IMO It's a perfectly credible enduro bike for riding around having fun with your mates. Certainly better than the OP's TTR 250 or my old XR.

I've never ran into any enduro trail that I couldn't ride down and have fun doing it. I'm usually one of the faster guys in a group ride, even though I'm not that great a rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
my 690 wouldn,t go close to lifting the front at 110 nor would any of the others that mates up here had.
Really? Have you tried? Shift to the back of the seat, 3rd or 4th gear depending on sprocket, pop the clutch, up she goes.

It won't happen with a stock muffler or a 14L safari tank up front.

I was never able to test the top speed with a stock sprocket (I won't do it on public roads), although I did some math and it seemed like the rev limiter would be around 200. I did hit 160 after I geared it down, and could have gone faster, but I wasn't wearing leathers and the long-ago-abandoned asphalt road wasn't in very good condition. A forum thread on a 690 SMR forum had several people say they get to just under 200 about half way down the main straight on their local racetrack.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 05:59 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,379
I have recently changed from 15/48 to a 15/46 gearing & I'm much happier with this set up now. Seems to be a far better match for Adv Rides & I can also still hit tight sandy single track without any dramas.

The bike can do 178kph & can lift the front wheel at 100 but not higher than that (havent tried) & high speed overtaking is not a problem (even B-doubles)..

The 690R IMO is a far better s/t bike than what my 625SXC was in terms of handling & lower centre of gravity due to the rear tank, suspension & frame design, it seems to turn & corner far easier & feels more confident hitting big sandy whoops.

The only downside with it is the sheer amount of HP the engine generates & also due to the power coming on so fast I have often found the bike wanting to climb trees rather than go around them when riding tight s/t.
I know this can be easily fixed by me switching the under seat switch from the advance setting to standard setting, I might try that one day..

There is a false-neutral between 5th and 6th, I'm concious of it & occasionaly sometimes it still happens but not as often as when I first bought the bike.

Someone mentioned S12's earlier in this thread, they are a fantastic front tyre for sand, I havent found a better front tyre yet for riding deep sand, but thats about their limit, as on hardpack, or rocky riding they will be trashed before you know it. They are also very skitish on bitumen.

I mostly use Dunlop D908RR's, yes they are almost double the price of most other tyres but they seem to last 2 to 3 times as long.

I purchased a KTM gel 'comfort' seat & it doesnt live up to its name, I'm going to get my stock seat rebuilt by a local upholsterer for longer rides. The standard seat would be the most uncomfrotable seat I have ever used & I have riden a lot of enduro bikes. I might even try an air hawk from a mate who is not a big fan of them.

Overall, I'm wrapped with my 690R, its a do all bike that can be great at ADV rides, trail rides, 2-up day rides, snotty single track & even technical hill climbs, obviously there are bikes that can excell in one or two of those areas, however I'm talking 'do all'.

The only performance mods my bike has are :
- Aftermarket muffler (Wings titanium).
- Akro remapping.
- Foam aircleaner (breathes better than the useless stock paper one).

Hope some of this dribble helps.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 06:31 PM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Hope some of this dribble helps.
Yes it does, nice write up. It sounds like a great bike and real hoon machine. Fun factor, that's what I want so will definately take one for a test ride when it's time to trade the Husky in.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Yes it does, nice write up. It sounds like a great bike and real hoon machine. Fun factor, that's what I want so will definately take one for a test ride when it's time to trade the Husky in.
Go for the 'R' model if you can instead of the 'E' model, apart from cosmetics the only difference is more suspension travel on the 'R' model, which does come in handy..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Go for the 'R' model if you can instead of the 'E' model, apart from cosmetics the only difference is more suspension travel on the 'R' model, which does come in handy..
The R's engine is also an extra 40cc.

I don't think they sell the E model anymore, just the R and the SMR.

I wonder what the engine difference is between the R and SMR? AFAIK the SMR's redline is a couple thousand higher.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #37
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
The R's engine is also an extra 40cc.

I don't think they sell the E model anymore, just the R and the SMR.

I wonder what the engine difference is between the R and SMR? AFAIK the SMR's redline is a couple thousand higher.

The 011 model was 649 the new 012 is 690
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #38
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
I like the 690 because its fun to ride, it has its faults like any bike but the big plus is the extra grunt over similer sized bikes. I love popping the front at will (even with the safari tank) over obsticles, through puddles, its why I like riding. It always makes me giggle when you read about people who say its too big for trails and too small for road so they go and buy 2 bikes to replace it !
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #39
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I like the 690 because its fun to ride, it has its faults like any bike but the big plus is the extra grunt over similer sized bikes. I love popping the front at will (even with the safari tank) over obsticles, through puddles, its why I like riding. It always makes me giggle when you read about people who say its too big for trails and too small for road so they go and buy 2 bikes to replace it !
NZ's a different kittle of fesh
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #40
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
NZ's a different kittle of fesh
thats cattle of feeesh in AU talk
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #41
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
The 011 model was 649 the new 012 is 690
And the new 2012 R model only has 10" suspension travel .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #42
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
I heard the xr650 is faster and can pop the front wheel up at 111
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #43
ADV-Wes
I'm not lost....yet.

Oddometer: 176
Picked up a 2010 690R bog stock standard with 300ks on it and I'm WRAPPED

I've had KTM 450's, a 520 and GS1200ADV, and my Ducati Hypermotard and I truly reckon this 690R can do most things pretty damn well. (Can't wait to fit my Motard rims to it )
I'm not tall at 5 10 and find myself on tippy toes on the thing but I'm suprised how easy it is to throw around. Awesome power. Love it. Only been out playing around by myself to get a feel for it, but I can't wait to see how she goes in the scrub with the 525, YZ250 and WR450 that I usualy would ride my old '06 450sx with. Need to update my rubber firstly though.....those stockies are a bit scary offroad in the mud! .

Since added Safari Tank, Rally Raid upper/lower tank mounts, Rally Bash plate (with the 2.5ltr tank- what a great idea!)Centre stand, KTM screen, TT Pannier racks with Andy strapz Bags, TT rear rack & Sprocket cover, Rally Raid Screw on fuel cap to replace that STUPID stock one!

Still needs a Wings Pipe and re-map, Pivot Pegs, Scotts Damper and I think I need to drop a tooth or two off the rear?

Big Fan. You'll love this bike .

Troy.

Project '97 XR250R
ADV-Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #44
KTBen
Barrrp!

Oddometer: 474
Hey fellas, are any of you still running the snorkel? I'm thinking of replacing the snorkel for a top mount foam filter (already swapped the paper filter)
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #45
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
I run the KTM Evo airbox lid, straight replacement for the snorkel top, seems good.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote