Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #76
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192

jesus B2. i know you are a short bugger but i'd swear you photoshopped yourself in that pic to make yourself look even smaller.

B1 screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 04:09 AM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #77
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Its a very tall bike as you can see by the weeds in the background I ride to much
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #78
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

jesus B2. i know you are a short bugger but i'd swear you photoshopped yourself in that pic to make yourself look even smaller.
Classic Photo ..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #79
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Ok guys. I am 46 YO and have sold my 300 EXC smoker as I cannot keep up to my brotherinlaw who is 10 years my junior and his ex motocross champ mates doing the snotty stuff Watagans Letter A etc anymore.

So after reading all your replies and threads on Advrider, I have just paid for a 2012 690. Ships from SA and will be here in the new year. No dealer had one so I have purchased without even riding one! Am I nuts?

Conceding defeat after riding hard core dirt bikes since the age of 14 was very hard to do for me! So I figured this was the perfect transition bike. I test rode a bmw gs 650 and 800. Frankly they felt like postie bikes to me. bmw gs 650 was so boring that I would rather mow the law than ride that thing!

I know every high performance single will vibrate somewhere in the rev range so no big deal here. I have done the ducati thing and am happy with 1 hour tar rides now.. So I am thinking this bike will be perfect for me. I need a bike that makes you smile. From what I have read the 690 will do this for me. Have read amazing varied summations on this bike and figure the ones that do not like it had something different in mind and the disappointment was not the bike rather rider expectation. Akro going straight on after reading horror stories.

Unless the vibrations are intolerable I cannot see why I will not love this bike!!!

All comments welcome!!!

Chris

Chris 690R screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 09:18 PM
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #80
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Well done, I'm sure you will love it.

My 625SXC vibrated a bit, but my 690R doesnt.

It's a great bike to hit single track & the more snotty trails when you feel like it but at the same time its great for longer distance riding as well.

If the terrain gets a bit gnarly off road, you will easily leave behind just about any BMW GS 650 or 800.

Make sure you replace the upper & lower rear subframe tank bolts as they eventually snap (Rally Raid in the UK make after market ones).

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/KTM-690-Enduro-R-SMC/performance-upgrades?page=1

Dont forget to re-map your bike to suit the Akro.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 10:31 PM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #81
D-Rally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hi Chris, welcome to the fold. I made the switch about 12 months ago from Trail to Adventure and haven't looked back. I've had a couple of bikes including a KTM 625, KTM 640 and now a 690. The 690 is definitely the pick of the bunch (imo). Especially coming from an enduro background. There are good and bad points about any bike including the 690. There are definately a couple of small things that need fixing like the aforementioned tank bolts and the remap. But more importantly get out and ride the bloody thing and enjoy it. I snuck in a couple of hundred k's today and came home with a grin from ear to ear.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #82
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Hey Chris
Spend some money and time on her and she will look after you , she may like a pat goodnight before bed mine does, I might go and have a beer with her on the back verandah now actually
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #83
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thx for replies guys! Forum is full of awesome tips! I read about tank bolts. Thought they would have fixed this by now?

Has anyone taken a pillion on a 690?

My 300 exc was horrid on the tar and dangerous even. I have heard the 690 is ok for 1 hour stints with the right tyres single up?

Now I just got to count down the days for delivery from SA when trucking coy comes back from hols!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #84
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Thx for replies guys! Forum is full of awesome tips! I read about tank bolts. Thought they would have fixed this by now?

My 300 exc was horrid on the tar and dangerous even. I have heard the 690 is ok for 1 hour stints with the right tyres single up?

Now I just got to count down the days for delivery from SA when trucking coy comes back from hols!

Cheers,

Chris

Kirbs will be a long any minute!!

He followed me home from thrashers 560 kms up the bitumen and although he rarely makes sense I think the vibes may have helped him as he got off and walked like a normal human.

I think they are ok on the bitumen just something you have to get used to and be prepared to walk like a bow legged cowpoke for a while.

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #85
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:

Cheers,

Chris
I have done a couple rides with the missus as pillion on the 690 50/50 road/dirt she loved the whole adventure thing, furthest one was 300 odd k's for the day with a counter lunch stop.
I have no problem with vibrations or the seat I can ride all day no probs
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 01:58 AM
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #86
kirbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Kirbs will be a long any minute!!

He followed me home from thrashers 560 kms up the bitumen and although he rarely makes sense I think the vibes may have helped him as he got off and walked like a normal human.

I think they are ok on the bitumen just something you have to get used to and be prepared to walk like a bow legged cowpoke for a while.
errr thanks Lentil

Chris
I haven't found the vibrations to be too bad at all and I still ride with the standard seat, but I do have a bit of built-in padding
I've had a few different people on the back, kids and adults, and I'd say that as long as the roads you go on aren't too rough, your pillion will be fine. Actually, the spring rate on my bike might be a bit high as it felt a lot smoother with a pillion on

Cheers
Dale
kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #87
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 358

Cheers,

Chris[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about the hour on the tar shit. I rode mine to Alice \Springs from nsw south coast. 800k's a day no worries, 7,000k round trip. I fkn love this bike, IMO it is the best do it all bike. You'l love it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #88
KTBen
Barrrp!

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rally View Post
Hi Chris, welcome to the fold. I made the switch about 12 months ago from Trail to Adventure and haven't looked back. I've had a couple of bikes including a KTM 625, KTM 640 and now a 690. The 690 is definitely the pick of the bunch (imo). Especially coming from an enduro background. There are good and bad points about any bike including the 690. There are definately a couple of small things that need fixing like the aforementioned tank bolts and the remap. But more importantly get out and ride the bloody thing and enjoy it. I snuck in a couple of hundred k's today and came home with a grin from ear to ear.
Wasn't your 690 at Wallerawang shops the other day, orange safari tank??
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #89
KTBen
Barrrp!

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
So after reading all your replies and threads on Advrider, I have just paid for a 2012 690. Ships from SA and will be here in the new year. No dealer had one so I have purchased without even riding one! Am I nuts?

Unless the vibrations are intolerable I cannot see why I will not love this bike!!!

All comments welcome!!!

Chris
Yeah you might be a bit nuts but no more then the rest of us. I bought a used 690 and drove 1000km round trip to pick it up, no test ride and never rode one before and I love it. Coming from a trail riding background its the closest thing to a 450 you'll get but it can cruise all day on the tar if needed. And just like a true enduro your ass will be numb in no time so you might want an airhawk or something for multi day rides

Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #90
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBen View Post
Coming from a trail riding background its the closest thing to a 450 you'll get but it can cruise all day on the tar if needed.
That was my concern... I do a lot of my riding at Sunny and Dark Corners and was still wanting something that will do the single track/fire trails found there as well as the ADV thing when required. Thanks for the input

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote