User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
bankska11 OP
Where are we?

Oddometer: 74
'06 KTM 450 EXC headlight sucks

Just bought an '06 KTM 450 EXC, bone stock, 200 miles on it. This is my first KTM- I've been riding KLRs for awhile and I'm looking forward to seeing what this orange kool-aid is all about. My first impression so far is "damn...they were right, this thing is badass".

I'll be spending a lot of time researching various mods/farkles, but I noticed how bad the headlight sucked last night. I doubt I'll be riding it much at night and I realize I'm used to the KLR (which isn't that great), but I would like to upgrade it. Any quick tips on upgrading the headlight?

CB
South Carolina
bankska11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankska11 View Post
Just bought an '06 KTM 450 EXC, bone stock, 200 miles on it. This is my first KTM- I've been riding KLRs for awhile and I'm looking forward to seeing what this orange kool-aid is all about. My first impression so far is "damn...they were right, this thing is badass".

I'll be spending a lot of time researching various mods/farkles, but I noticed how bad the headlight sucked last night. I doubt I'll be riding it much at night and I realize I'm used to the KLR (which isn't that great), but I would like to upgrade it. Any quick tips on upgrading the headlight?

CB
South Carolina
You can go anywhere from slightly better than stock for a few bucks, or light up the night for the next three counties for about $1000.

Pick a number.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,459
gotta used Baja Designs 8" one for $135... lotta $$$ new, tho.... uses a $6 walmart halogen bulb, really bright, no problem at night.... kinda heavy tho.... actually wanna go back to the stocker cause it's alot lighter.... depends on what you wanna do.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
I think all KTM Enduro scoots headlights leave a lot to be desired.

I think KTM uses the cheapest light to pass DOT regulations.

After all, most riders are going to opt for a after-market light that suits their riding style. Plus, this allows KTM to keep the price point down several hundred dollars, or enhance the profit margin, depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,506
Go down to vendors. Buy the KTM specific Cyclops LED bulb for your bike per the link below. Total cost: $65. You might need the rectifier if your bike is still AC which adds another $20.

Later in the thread he says my plastic headlight lens is not a problem despite the eye searing brightness. If you don't have a hi/lo switch just wire it for hi. Read all the testimonials including mine.

This thing kicks ass with minimal fuss, less current draw and low cost.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1654

BTW, I have done a lot of riding around Newberry.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 12-06-2014 at 12:01 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I have the Baja Designs dual sport kit on mine with the glass lens and put in a 65 watt Sylvania Extreme bulb which is significantly better than the 35 watt bulb that was in there. I'm comfortable now between 45 and 50 mph at night on the road. It is pretty miserable on the trail still though.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Kiwi Bush Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankska11 View Post

CB
South Carolina
All the exc's are like that I went for a trail tech x2 with the dc stator upgrade cost me an arm & a leg & someone else has dibs on my kidneys but the difference is like night & day
Kiwi Bush Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Glue gun an h4 bulb into the housing - night and day. See my photos for examples. Done many times and nice and cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Glue gun an h4 bulb into the housing - night and day. See my photos for examples. Done many times and nice and cheap.

My 07 450EXC factory head light has a H4 standard. I still thought it sucked. .. The Cyclops LED upgrade mentioned above is much brighter than the stock H4. Uses less power too.. great upgrade for a fraction of the cost of a mult LED racing light.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Yep. I am telling you: ditch the halogens and don't screw with buying a new headlight setup until you try one of these LED replacement bulbs. If you decide to buy an aftermarket light (because KTM triangular reflectors do suck) then swap the LED into that. Baja Designs square headlights have great reflectors and accept one of these H4 LED's making it that much better. You are at $160 with that setup.

I had the BD square headlight on my MXC200 and it sucked with a 35/35 halogen (all the stator could handle). But it was transformed to awesome with this LED because the BD reflector is so good. I also swapped a BD square lens into my 640 because they are very good (and less expensive). But even the high powered halogen hi/lo bulb in my 640 still sucks compared to that Cyclops LED in my old MXC200.

So, to me, this really is a no brainer. I don't see the point in paying for any kind of lighting upgrade until you try one of these Cyclops LED's in your stock setup FIRST. They are plug and play, draw less current and are much brighter. Plus $60 to $80 is hardly going to break the bank especially compared to replacing the whole headlight setup. But don't take my word for it (or the billion others in vendors):

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...adlight-bulbs/

Grreatdog screwed with this post 12-07-2014 at 06:36 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,822
Problem is the KTM housing is so close to the steering head the Cyclops doesn't really fit with the back spacing it needs. Add to that you're trying to cram the LED's driver/cooling unit right where your wiring harness all comes together. I like the Cyclops light but it doesn't fit the KTM RFS very well.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Works on my EXC525. But I wired in a Baja Designs hi/lo/turn signal switch then made the wiring harness longer so it goes around the cooling unit. The turn signal flasher and main part of the bundle aren't where KTM put them anymore.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
todd83-900t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Note: the Baja Design square light has a glass lens that will crack and shatter eventually unless you take additional measures.

G-Dog: A picture or two of your setup would be appreciated. How close is the heat exchanger to the head tube?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the link. My results might be better because I'm using a good h4 bulb but I'm happy with it. I imagine the LED works great too. I believe you have to rewire your stator / get a trailtech even if you need just 10 watts on 11 and earlier ktms?

http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/M...nversions-KTM/

Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

I also threw a h4 bulb (the same piaa type) into an 8" baja designs light. This was truly spectacular and great. I did this over the HID setup that was blinding to oncoming traffic and was dangerous. The illumination was excellent at night. This is also 20 times better than that super ghetto 7" light conversion because the 8" housing is much better designed versus the ghetto hella 7" lights that are $55 a pair - I've installed several into old land cruisers. Despite how well it worked I eventually sold it mostly because it was so heavy. I prefer the stock light with the upgraded buld to keep things light weight.

I also moved the headlight a couple inches forward for a few reasons. Photo shows how I did this as well. I cut s couple plastic spacers in half with an exacto, drilled a couple holes, and made a extension for the top straps with a couple small pieces of Home Depot alunimum. I got the spacers at the local hardware store. Easy job, gobs of room, and looks better as well IMHO.

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 12-10-2014 at 12:51 PM