Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
beach2008 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Advice needed: CRF250l or XT660Z (Mini Tenere)

Try to keep this simple. One is a dual sport, one is an Adventure bike. I own one (CRF) but been dreaming of the other one. Previous bike: WR125R. CRF engine still breaking in.

Question: will I regret getting the Tenere 660? Is the latter the better adv bike or am I victim of marketing tricks? Never been on a 600 cc. Any views welcome. Can't afford both. Disappointed by the new Africa twin, seems to be too big.
beach2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Depends on what you want to do with your bike. If you want an allround allroad travel bike, the XT660Z will suit you just fine, as it does for me. I ride a 08 Tenere, with 100.000kms + on it, without any problems so far, just regular maintenance. It can do anything: from twisty back- and mountain roads, offroad(with the proper tyres and attitude), highway ridin'(done a oneday ride from Prague back home to Oosterhout/Holland-900km's no problem!) and that all with a smooth engine(for a single!) with a very good EFI and fuel economy, and lotsa fun to ride!! One says it has not enuff power(48hp), but that's really enuff; one says it's too heavy, but that's only a problem if you do hardcore offroad, for which the Tenere isn't intended in the first place, I think it's strong and stable frame makes it a reliable travel companion for short or longer travels. What also is a plus for me, there's a lot available on the aftermarket for adding upgrades for your bike, from useful things to cosmetic stuff.

In short: I really can recommend this bike, it's reliable, not too expensive in maintenance, smooth and most important fun to ride!!

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
beach2008 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information! Do you have all the panniers, topbix etc. fitted? Does it change riding much? And another question, do you ever miss a sixth gear. I keep thinking about this bike all the time, seems like a reasonable compromise between heavy GS, girly f650gs, and "autobahn-unsuitable" CRF250L...I will probably get one in Spring and tell the wife its just a 250cc with windshield ;)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

I dont have a topbox, only a Touratech bag on the Luggage carrier, I do have a pair of alu panniers by Hepco&Becker(on a Lock-it pannierframe). I almost allways run the panniers, it'll probably influence the mileage but other than that no problems. I don't miss a sixth gear, as I run it between 3000-5500rpm and then it runs just fine. I don't know if you want to ride it two-up with Luggage, it can be done, but it's not the most logical bike for this. In this case, modify your suspension(I did with Hyperpro springs front and back).

My list of adds and farkles:
-Heidenau K60 Scouts;
-Hyperpro progressive springs;
-Hepco&Becker pannier frame and alu panniers;
-MDI handlebar risers 30mm, front fender enlargener;
-Offroad waterpump protection;
-Leovince SBK exhaust system with db-killers:
-Yamaha alu sumpguard and centrestand;
-KEDO oiltemp. gaugeRR10;
-Touratech Kahedo seat, luggage carrier(large) and bag, sidestand enlargener, handguards.

It's e very reliable bike, lots of fun to ride and it never let me down. No oil consumption so far, average of 1lt to 25km's on backroads, 1lt to 20km's on highways. Apart from two minor accidents(not my fault!) with minor damage and all repaired, there were no failures or damages in all these 100.000km+!! Only minor flaws:
-breather on '08 models were not well engineered, replaced under warranty for better breather;
-cushdrive rubbers in rear wheel wear fast, I replace them every 20.000km or earlier when needed;
-Yamaha locks are bollocks, replaced two times under warranty, keep them clean and lubed.

ENJOY!! Greetz, Hans.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a piccie of me and my trusty Tenere!

More piccies on my smugmug page!

Old 11-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I've ridden both extensively, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Tenere, it's almost as good overall as my 990 adv.

range, fairing and top end speed it's the clear winner.

And if I was revisiting Mongolia from the UK (as a frame of reference) I'd definitely take my crf250!

It does require consideration to kit as it's not the panniered packhorse of the Tenere but it's so light, manageable and easy off road, I've done more than 1200 miles in a day on mine and although my fuel economy was probably no better than the teneres on that run it was smooth and never missed a beat, it was brilliant, quiet, smooth.
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
beach2008 OP
Adventurer

Hans - nice bike. This definitely looks ready for action/world exploration.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
beach2008 OP
Adventurer

Stickysidedown - interesting comments. Perhaps the CRF is underrated as an ADV but two things annoy me thus far: 7.7 litre/2 gallon tank. And wind on highway. Yes, I could fit fairing and larger tank but is it worth it? The XT660Z seems like a rare bike to find and so ready to go. Decisions, decisions.