Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #31
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_nj
I just picked up this 230L with 191miles on it. I cant wait to actually get sometime on it! Take my license test on Thurs, really hope I pass.
good luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #32
shawn_nj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli
good luck!
Thanks! I passed the road test today! Rode the 230L for 60miles around back roads, getting used to being in traffic. I think I did pretty good for my first day out. WOW the 230 is SOOOO much fun! I cant wait to get it on some dirt.
shawn_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
shawn_nj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Finally got the 230 dirty. Bike did really well on loose sand trails. I'm hooked!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #34
Tsilatipac
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 406
I recently bought a 230L for my wife and I to share. I really wanted a big adventure bike but needed to ride something with my son on his 140. A big adventure bike didn't fit the bill. My wife also wanted to be able to ride it and the 230 was as big as she could go.

Fast forward a month or two and my wife hasn't ridden the bike yet. It looks like I will be 99% rider. The good news is that it makes a great little commuter bike. 144 miles on the first tank of gas. I only live 3.6 miles from work so it sure beats taking the pickup to work.

I really don't have a point of reference for this little bike but it feels anemic to me. Does changing the pipe really add power or just make it louder? Are folks rejetting them? I haven't done any research yet.

Carl
Tsilatipac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #35
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I bought one for my wife. It is her first bike at 45 years old and she is having a blast with it. I love it too but she never lets me ride it. A few things to keep in mind; When I first rode it, I thought it was a little gutless in the higher gears, and I thought the seat was uncomfortable. The more it gets broke in, the more power it sems to have, and the seat loosens up a bit so it's not quite so hard. Keep in mind, it is a dual sport, not a street bike. You will have to deal with some ass fatigue no matter what.
Here she is heading out to check on some cows.....
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #36
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsilatipac
I recently bought a 230L for my wife and I to share. I really wanted a big adventure bike but needed to ride something with my son on his 140. A big adventure bike didn't fit the bill. My wife also wanted to be able to ride it and the 230 was as big as she could go.

Fast forward a month or two and my wife hasn't ridden the bike yet. It looks like I will be 99% rider. The good news is that it makes a great little commuter bike. 144 miles on the first tank of gas. I only live 3.6 miles from work so it sure beats taking the pickup to work.

I really don't have a point of reference for this little bike but it feels anemic to me. Does changing the pipe really add power or just make it louder? Are folks rejetting them? I haven't done any research yet.

Carl
You would have to remove the air constriction at both ends. Doesn't do much good to open up the pipe without opening up the air box too. I did the mods to my XT250 and gained some low end torque, but you probably won't see an increase on the top speed. I'm certainly no expert, by the way, these are just my observations. I took the XT back to stock setup cause it made it louder, and not a good kind of loud. It sounded horrible! If you open up the airbox somehow, and put an FMF pipe on it, you will see some sort of power gain I'm sure. The FMF should sound good too. When you get this thing on the trails, you won't miss the big adventure bike you wanted. If you do, just look in your rear view mirror cause that's where they'll be!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #37
Sgtdn0119
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mine is still pretty much stock, but there is a ton if info on www.crf230l.com

Lots of info on getting more out of the engine.
Sgtdn0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Wife is enjoying hers.

"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #39
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
Im turning my F model into an L model adding a tusk d/s kit...
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #40
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
is this bike as good as the competition?

hi i would like ask all of you who wrote something here before, or new people, how are you liking or5 disliking your 230l? pros and cons?

i have a klr 650 and for city, or teaching to ride to wife it is the wrong tool for the job. Also it is too tall so a was looking into something smaller and i don't care for hp, i learned on a 125 cc with 12 ponies so getting to 55 mph was a long time.

i want to use this bike for going to work, 4 miles each way with city and some light hwy traffic, for a total of 16 miles per day, and on the weekends it could be my wife's bike (maybe a bit tall for her)

so do you like it? how does it compare to the xt225 or 250? how is longer term cost of ownership?

my local dealer has some cut down prices on this bikes and it could be a great bike.

thanks for your input

damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #41
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
damasovi

well I've had mine for 3 weeks now , you need to remember that this is a small bike. it will do 65 mph but the motor is at it's max...230 cc pulling a 245 pound rider.
likes-- this bike is small,light & low. ive had it to a duel sport rally last week... bike did great. but i don't have anything to compare it to because i've never been off road before. you read about the 1 st gear is to low,,, well street riding that might be the case,,but on the trail it was GREAT , I'm learning to ride off road and that gearing was perfect. standing up on the pegs going over rocks was great. for a rookie like myself it's a great bike.. if the bike is going to be for a small person. it 's great choice.
would i like more power sure, but this bike is what it is. a small 230 cc bike. getting 70 mpg. reason i like this bike is it's low to the ground, did a lot of leg saves rather then falling over. i know if i was on a 650 i would of ate a lot of dirt & hurt myself. plus it's a simple air cooled Honda.
also left the key on for an hour (dead battery ) ... so i just pushed started it. rode it 30 minutes to recharge the battery and all is good.
i think your wife would love this bike. my sister is small
5' 2 and the bike fit's her good.. shes just learning to ride. the smile on her face was big.
muskieken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #42
no1gtkid
n00b

Oddometer: 6
CRF230L owner as well

I have a CRF230L that i got new 4 moths ago. I enjoy th bike as an around town ride as well as a camp bike. I use my Ninja for commuting.

Things done on the CRF. I have Kendal tires, Dyno jet stage 1&2, Turbocity Skid plate with side protector, light guard, Zeta hand guard, and a rear break master protector. Soon getting a slip on exhaust and a rear rack and bags of some sort to attach my Rotopacs gas can and water can with brackets. I use on the ATVs.

Tried to attach pics but still to large to attach.
no1gtkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #43
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 272
CRF230L crash damage mystery

Hey guys;
I picked up a 230L for the wife after she had so much fun on the back of our 990ADV offroad (managed to get a WR250 to go with that purchase but that is another thread)

Anyway, she locked the front brake on a gravel road when she saw one of these comming the otherway:

and hit the ground hard at about 20mph. At the time, other than a sore wrist, all seemed fine. When I was putting her bike away that evening I hopped on it and found that the steering is now almost 10-15 degrees off. Nothing is obvioulsy bent, the bars are true and even the hand protector clips are still in the same place they were before the fall. There are no signs of deformation in the cast pieces either.

The bike rides smooth and stable at speed but to go straight, you need to point the bars to the right. I've not taken anything apart yet to check for other problems so I'm looking for places to start.

One thought is fork tube length. The dealer slid the tripple clamps down the steering tubes about an inch to shorten the ride height a bit. I'm wondering that if the tubes slid a bit w/in the clamps in the crash or maybe when I strapped the bike to the trailor, if that could cause the wierd steering.

Any thoughts before I start tearing things apart?

Thanks
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #44
big irish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey bud, yea that used top happen to us just about daily when we were kids and wreaked the hell outta our bikes all the time. Just wedge the front wheel inbetween two sturdy fixed objects(trees are what we always used) and give a good jerk on the handlebars in whatever direction you need to to correct it. If not two sturdy object you can jam you knee up against the wheel and do it that way if you got the gussto, thats how we had to do it in the middle of a motocross race. I really doubt anything is pemenantly bent, just got a little tweaked. Forks are meant to have a little bit of give to them so in some wrecks this will happen.

big irish screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 07:18 PM
big irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #45
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 272
Thanks...will give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by big irish
Hey bud, yea that used top happen to us just about daily when we were kids and wreaked the hell outta our bikes all the time. Just wedge the front wheel inbetween two sturdy fixed objects(trees are what we always used) and give a good jerk on the handlebars in whatever direction you need to to correct it. If not two sturdy object you can jam you knee up against the wheel and do it that way if you got the gussto, thats how we had to do it in the middle of a motocross race. I really doubt anything is pemenantly bent, just got a little tweaked. Forks are meant to have a little bit of give to them so in some wrecks this will happen.
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote