User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #46
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Hey Todd;
Nice combo! The wife and I have the same thing. this is her first bike and she got it in May of this year. She has logged 1800 miles on it so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #47
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
crf230l some thoughts

My dad has one, and a wr250r.

He got the 230 1st, then the 250.

2 totally different bikes, well at least to me. My dad weighs about 190 lbs, and I weigh about 215 lbs. For me: the 230's suspension is its downfall, but I'm too heavy for it. I feel like I'm going to break it, but in really tight slow stuff, it is sooooo easy to use.

The wr250r is way faster, but, due to the characteristics of the motor, really slow going is tougher than the 230.

He is turning the 230 into more of a hunting/lone rider trail bike. The wr begs to go faster and is easy to ride fast (it's really awesome), but it could certainly get you in trouble if you are by yourself.

The 230 is a real gem for slower technical riding, and enjoying scenery, not to mention it is nearly silent.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #48
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
My dad has one, and a wr250r.

He got the 230 1st, then the 250.

2 totally different bikes, well at least to me. My dad weighs about 190 lbs, and I weigh about 215 lbs. For me: the 230's suspension is its downfall, but I'm too heavy for it. I feel like I'm going to break it, but in really tight slow stuff, it is sooooo easy to use.

The wr250r is way faster, but, due to the characteristics of the motor, really slow going is tougher than the 230.

He is turning the 230 into more of a hunting/lone rider trail bike. The wr begs to go faster and is easy to ride fast (it's really awesome), but it could certainly get you in trouble if you are by yourself.

The 230 is a real gem for slower technical riding, and enjoying scenery, not to mention it is nearly silent.
Agreed on the 230. Depends on what kind of riding you want to do with it. A motocross bike, it ain't. In order to get a better suspension, you gotta spend a little more money. The WR on the other hand, I disagree. At first I had the same thoughts as you, but after riding it for a while, I have learned to work the clutch a little on the technichal stuff. Or,...I just go a little faster. The suspension of this bike makes it easy. You can always re-gear if it is still not low enough. The thing just rocks. I have to admit though, I still sneak out on the wifes 230 every now and then when she ain't lookin....
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #49
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbie View Post
Agreed on the 230. Depends on what kind of riding you want to do with it. A motocross bike, it ain't. In order to get a better suspension, you gotta spend a little more money. The WR on the other hand, I disagree. At first I had the same thoughts as you, but after riding it for a while, I have learned to work the clutch a little on the technichal stuff. Or,...I just go a little faster. The suspension of this bike makes it easy. You can always re-gear if it is still not low enough. The thing just rocks. I have to admit though, I still sneak out on the wifes 230 every now and then when she ain't lookin....
I currently own both bikes. I have 10+ years of on road riding, and have been doing more offroad in the last year... i'm selling the WRR (blasphemy, i know) for the CRF. Two totally different bikes, but I was never able to have enough control over the throttle at low speeds on the WRR and feel like it's just a matter of time before I wreck because of that. Much more control of the CRF in tight trails. Mind you - my love for the WRR is greater, but don't tell the CRF. I'm sure when we spend more time together we'll bond some more.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #50
buryurfear14
offroad junkie

Oddometer: 199
Just got my 230L a couple weekends ago. The only other bike i was looking at was the KLR at the time. I was looking for the cheapest best option and the crf fell in that slot. Plus I've always been a Honda guy! The KLR had a few perks over the CRF but I plan on passing the bike on to my wife as soon as it becomes too tame for me.

I'm sitting just under 180 miles right now and I love it! Most of the roads I travel are 45mph so I always have enough power to get around in traffic. Off road I think it handles great. I've rode and raced quads for about 8 years and this is the first 2 wheeler i've owned and the crf made the transition very easy. Can't wait to pipe it and mod that air box a bit to pull a little more power out of it. Oh and swap the tires so the sugar sand isn't as much of a hassle.
buryurfear14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #51
thumpergirl
Adventurer

My mods so far (the inexpensive ones) -

attach a pelican case to the tail rack, thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644549

move the clutch up so my boot can easily fit under there. 5 minute process: loosen this bolt (photo taken from underneath the bike), slide clutch lever off, and put it back on where you want it. much easier to shift with offroad boots now.

install a flatland racing skid plate (about $80). use an innertube and zipties to keep it from rattling:

Cut the clutch lever shorter so that it doesn't pinch your ring and pinky fingers when you're shifting with two fingers. I cut it with a hacksaw and then used a metal file to smooth it. this will also keep the lever from breaking when you drop the bike. because you know you will. or at least, you should.

to do, and i will post pics soon... mount tool tube to side of pelican case. put new grips on, put handguards on, GPS mount/wiring, heated vest wiring, make and install small inexpensive ($5) smoke windshield (it will keep the bugs off my GPS).
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #52
rod1
Old Australian Bull

I got my 230 L at the end of November. Rained consistently for days! Seemed like a sign not to ride for a while. Anyway, now done almost 300kms and am enjoying it more each time I take it out. 34 or 35 years since I rode Honda 250 XL and am gaining confidence each day now. 50km ride this morning on highway was scary at times but amazingly satisfying and I am ready for more. Plan on completing basic riders course over next few months.May help to increase my confidence. Have attached photo taken when I first brought new bike home and before I had ridden it. Great bike!
Attached Images

rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #53
weoner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
i have had my 230 for a few months now and loving in. a bit more capable than my 78 suzuki dual sport! i hit a rock with the foot peg mount and cracked the frame. had that welded up! it was the first time i wiped out that hard and it didn't hurt that bad, but my heels are still feeling it. i detailed and destickered the bike last weekend, but have yet to take pictures.
Attached Images

weoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #54
weoner
Adventurer

and this one
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #55
weoner
Adventurer

last one for now
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #56
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Just got back from taking my CRF230L to BBRSP. It took a beating but kept on performing. It was a new bike just a few short days ago (well, new enough - 600 easy miles on it). It went down a lot. A LOT. Of course as much as I'd like to blame it on the bike, we know whose fault it is...

Good little bike. Reliable. Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I've included photos of the terrain just to show what the bike did.

Also, happy to report that the pelican case didn't move an inch. I have a thread that details how I attached it. The case is bulletproof, as is the attachment method. It took several very hard hits.

Here are a few photos of the bike at BBRSP, and a couple of after shots. There are some 'before' photos earlier in this thread, posted just a couple of weeks ago. The Acerbis handguards were brand new for this ride - put on just days before I left for the ride.

My pretzeled shifter:

Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #57
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Lol, great pics! Looks like some good country to ride in.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #58
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Looks like fun. LOL
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #59
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
Looks like fun. LOL
In some strange and sadistic way it was, although I might not have said that at the time. And my right thigh would argue with me.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #60
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Graduated from a battle scooter...

My '70 CT90 K2 is going to get a little less attention now that I've picked up a new CRF230L. I happened upon a brand-new 2008 with less than a mile on it (from pushing around, I guess, over the last several years) and got it for a very good price.

I didn't get to ride it home since it's raining pretty good here in the Seattle area and I don't want my first ride on a strange bike to be on the freeway in the rain. So I put it in the back of my pickup... and getting the 230L in and out of my truck is a LOT harder than with the CT90. I picked up an Ogio step-up ramp, and used my original folding ramp as a walkway. The one thing wrong with the Ogio ram is that it's REALLY narrow.

This is a pretty cool bike... I know it's not the fastest or has the most suspension travel, etc, but it fits me well and I'm praying for some dry weather to take it up to the local MSF-marked parking lot to get the hang of it.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote