hi there... a little help please...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552854
lukut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #18
bser613
n00b

Oddometer: 8
what to look for

Might have the chance to accuire a new toy. It's a 96 xr250l, with 1600 miles. Is there any thing besides the basics I should look for? I am not new to bikes, but have not be able to do much research on this model. It will be used as mostly a weekend bike, with fairly mild riding. Pro's & cons ? Thanks in advance
bser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #19
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
The L is very similar to the 250R of the same age.
The differnces are pretty much no oil cooler on the L, A cush hub, and more weight. The stock carb sucks. You will have to learn how to start it.

If you do buy it find a good used 250R carb and your starting issues will go away!

We bought a Roached out 250L my son learned how to ride on it (crash) then we rebuilt it. After a 250R cam, Carb and CRF front forks. Its a awesome bike. If you strip all the crap off of it you can get its weight down pretty light. It always feels like a bicycle when I ride it compared to my XR650L.

As with all the XR based bikes they are pretty much bullet proof.
Valve adjustments and oil changes are your friends.

The only issues we found with ours is that by the time I rebuilt it we had to put in a new piston, and do the entire top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bser613
Might have the chance to accuire a new toy. It's a 96 xr250l, with 1600 miles. Is there any thing besides the basics I should look for? I am not new to bikes, but have not be able to do much research on this model. It will be used as mostly a weekend bike, with fairly mild riding. Pro's & cons ? Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
bser613
n00b

Wicked

Dunno if it is gonna happen,and have yet to see the bike,just looking for some tips to be on the look out for. I have a 65 Mustang that is pretty rough condition and he is thinking about trading. I just picked up a tw200 a couple weeks ago,and thought adding another bike would be cool. Tw for the wife and the honda for me.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bser613
Dunno if it is gonna happen,and have yet to see the bike,just looking for some tips to be on the look out for. I have a 65 Mustang that is pretty rough condition and he is thinking about trading. I just picked up a tw200 a couple weeks ago,and thought adding another bike would be cool. Tw for the wife and the honda for me.
I've really enjoyed my XR, but I'd have to say that a 65 Mustang (unless it is a total basket-case) is worth more than any XR250L I've ever seen. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your time...

Still, the 250L can give you many miles of riding pleasure and fun times. Just check the oil before each ride. I found that the L, at freeway speeds, can consume more oil than an R during long rides. Small bike, high RPMs, high temps, etc. That being said, once you get the starting down you will have a great time.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
bser613
n00b

what 2 do

Yeah I know, had the 65 for about 5yrs now and have not touched it. In my eyes it is only worth about 1200. Besides I have a 03 gt mustang I could show a lot of love to. Like I said, deal is not done, just scoping things out. But it does feel good to be in the dirt again. Next to the tw, is my 1400 Intruder, and an abortion that used to be a lt230 quad that I am trying to bring back to life.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #23
River Runnre
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 133
Just picked up a 1987. Its all in pieces at the moment but I have all the parts ordered and am looking forward to going for a ride. There's lots of great backroads and trails near were I live in Western MA.

Below is a link I started to document and solicit help on getting the bike ready to ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565903
River Runnre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
mctaggert
Full Retard

Oddometer: 256
Just got my XR250L back on the road tonight. It's been apart for few months for a new Clarke tank, fresh oil, plug, valve adjustment, a fresh coat of paint on the left engine cover and several months of obsessive bicycle riding.

It felt good to get the old girl fired back up and I'm looking forward to getting back out on the gravel and trails. What a great bike.
mctaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #25
dsm_rally
The Lorax

Oddometer: 1,258
I found an XR on CL that looks very clean. I'd like opinions on the asking price....$1800. Seems high to be but it does have low miles and looks really clean. Here's the ad.

Quote:
Up for sale is a 1993 Honda xr250L enduro bike with 4145 original miles. The bike is in just about mint condition for a bike of this age, everything works and runs perfect. There are some scuffs from normal wear, but I would give this bike a 9 out of 10 bc there is a crack in the plastic under the headlight.

Everything is original on this bike and was never modified. This bike does come with everything seen in the pictures. Extra tires, new rear fender, euro headlight, stickers and all paper work/books. It also comes with the original mirrors and rear foot pegs that I took off and aren’t in the pictures. The new extra parts were going to be part of my project to turn this into a street moto bike. But the wife made me sell this for a lawn tractor.

Just changed the oil and replaced the automatic decompression cable.
And the pictures....

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
River Runnre
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally
I found an XR on CL that looks very clean. I'd like opinions on the asking price....$1800.
If it's everything the add says, with the low miles and well taken care of, this might be a bit high. For comparison, I bought my 87 xl205r for $500- and have about $2,000 into it. That money was spent on parts, going through the motor doing a complete rebuild with some surprises - bad crank, cracked case, wrecked cam. I'm not sure it was worth it, but I became obsessed with doing it right so I would have a reliable machine. If you get him to $1,500 I think you will have done well. It is almost 20 years old despite the low miles.
River Runnre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
mctaggert
Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally
I found an XR on CL that looks very clean. I'd like opinions on the asking price....$1800. Seems high to be but it does have low miles and looks really clean.
XR250Ls in good shape just seem to command a price. There aren't many out there (or maybe there are plenty out there, but nobody will sell theirs) and they don't come on the market very often.

I'd go look at it. If it checks out, offer $1500 and see what happens. Post up a picture when you get it.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #28
dsm_rally
The Lorax

Oddometer: 1,258
Thanks, guys. I'm hoping to go look at it on Monday. Per an email from the seller, "We can work something out on price... " Seems promising.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
BrIONwoshMunky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm new to riding things with 2 wheels and a motor. While I was looking for what I'd call a starter bike, I ran onto a Craigslist ad for a '92 XR250L. While trying to decide if I wanted to fall over on pavement or dirt, I finally settled on BOTH! I just bebop back and forth the 11 miles to work and home, and have got caught in a few rain storms because I don't pay attention/tune-out crappy weather forecasts! I would like to add, that while this is my first post, I've been reading a CRAP LOAD of very interesting threads on your forums! LOVE IT! Love my little Honda too!

I thought I was really doing something special the first time I took her out and was 'going fast' and glanced at the speedo to see myself doing an IMPRESSIVE 25mph.:ymca

She's bone stock as far as I can tell, was obviously laid over once or twice, and had a seat recover and crappy foam. The only oddity was the first time I went for a night-time ride, the headlight was shining the TOPS of the trees and not-so-much of the road... it was in upside down. Like the adjuster was on the top left as you sit on the bike instead of the bottom right... A few bolts and she's right as rain AFAIK.
BrIONwoshMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #30
mctaggert
Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrIONwoshMunky
I would like to add, that while this is my first post, I've been reading a CRAP LOAD of very interesting threads on your forums! LOVE IT! Love my little Honda too!
Welcome and your bike looks great.

If you haven't seen it, check out the minimalist touring thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349
Lot's of great stories and inspiration for what you can do with your bike.

Map out a ride and post up a report.