Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #46
ElkSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just bought a '91 tonight... 3974miles on her, really good shape, but drips a few drops of oil when warm. Hopefully, that will be a cheap fix, or I will just live with it. For $950 I wasn't going to leave without her!

Jim
ElkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #47
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
I'd say that's a good buy. Where is it leaking oil from?
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #48
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
xr250l

hey guys, just picked up my new (to me) xr250l from darfibulax a week ago, planning a supermoto project and need some info, would the xr250r hubs fit onto the L, r hubs are easier to find then L hubs on feebay so was hoping they would fit.

tom
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #49
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Front should work, but rear is slightly different due to the r model not having a cush drive. May still work however.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #50
ElBando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Alright:

Cold = Choke, no gas, never takes more than 3 kicks to start

Warm = 1/2 choke, no gas, never takes more than 3 kicks to start

Hot = no choke, no gas, never takes more than 3 kicks to start

(note - Rarely, does it start on the first kick, normally 2-3 kicks to start, no matter what I do!)
I have a 91 XR250L that is a bear to start after it sits in my garage for a month. If it is only a week no problem. I kick my brains out and finally it starts. After that it will start one kick every time. It seems like it is not getting gas so I pump the throttle. After reading your advice maybe I shouldn't touch the gas. It is a great bike to ride.
ElBando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #51
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBando View Post
I have a 91 XR250L that is a bear to start after it sits in my garage for a month. If it is only a week no problem. I kick my brains out and finally it starts. After that it will start one kick every time. It seems like it is not getting gas so I pump the throttle. After reading your advice maybe I shouldn't touch the gas. It is a great bike to ride.

That may be an issue with the small amount of fuel in the carb bowl going bad after that long. It'll last a little while, but a month may be too long. My XR can sit for months and after turnin the fuel on and letting the carb fill with fresh gas it starts within 3 kicks cold and after that she's a one kick starter.

Moral of the story is try draining your carb if it's gonna sit for more than a few days. May make all the difference.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #52
ElBando
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks View Post
That may be an issue with the small amount of fuel in the carb bowl going bad after that long. It'll last a little while, but a month may be too long. My XR can sit for months and after turnin the fuel on and letting the carb fill with fresh gas it starts within 3 kicks cold and after that she's a one kick starter.

Moral of the story is try draining your carb if it's gonna sit for more than a few days. May make all the difference.
Thanks, I will take your advice and try that. With that idea in mind, maybe if I open the carb float drain and let some fuel from the tank flush through it will have the same effect ???
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #53
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

If that's the issue, then I'd say yes. When I shut mine off if I know it's going to be a while I let it idle and run all the fuel out of the bowl.

Some will argue that it doesn't get all the fuel out and leaves some in there, but when I turn on the fuel from the tank it fills the bowl the rest of the way with fresh fuel. Works for me.

The other thing you might try is to use a fuel stabilizer in your fuel if it's going to sit for more than a week or so.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #54
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
thanks gvthnks, looking at the parts fitch right now i see what you mean. well it wouldn't be a project if it was easy would it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks View Post
Front should work, but rear is slightly different due to the r model not having a cush drive. May still work however.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #55
ElBando
Adventurer

Gvthnks, I need some info on my 91 Honda XR250L. My rear disc brake locks up on me after a few brake applications. The caliper become hot and the pads/piston doesn't release from the rotor. I took the caliper apart and it looks fine. The piston is like new, I have new DOT4 fluid, the pads have about 5000 miles on them. I ride a few miles and after 5 or 6 rear brake applications the rear brake seizes up on me. I then either wait a while or open the bleeder screw and it releases some pressure so I can move. I know corrosion on the piston can make it stick, but the piston looks like new.Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #56
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
hey guys, just picked up my new (to me) xr250l from darfibulax a week ago, planning a supermoto project and need some info, would the xr250r hubs fit onto the L, r hubs are easier to find then L hubs on feebay so was hoping they would fit.

tom
Are you married to having spoke wheels? I did a supermoto conversion on my XR250L using the cast wheels from some little Suzuki bike, A GS500 if I recall correctly. The axle diameter is the same so all that's required is some wheel spacers, a front caliper bracket, and a torque arm so you can use the GS rear caliper and bracket (which makes the whole process much, much easier than trying to use the stock caliper). I can snap some pics of mine if you have any interest.
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #57
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Evening, all. I own an XR250L and am currently in the rebuilding stages. The bike I purchased needed a top end, and so I've been taking care of that along with a couple of other issues that popped up.

For future reference to other L owners, here's a few things that may help you in the future:

The XR250R headed from the late 80s to mid 90s bolts right up. My L header was rusted through. The exhaust, however, will not fit on to the bigger diameter R header. I purchased a 2007ish CRF250X exhaust, and it slides right on to the R header perfectly... Almost completely plug and play. Should work out wonderfully.

One other issue I had was my front brake caliper.. To be blunt, it was falling apart. Pistons were in terrible shape, practically disintegrating, and the pads were trashed. Rather than trying to repair the stock unit and purchase new pads, I discovered that the mounting bracket portion of the XR250L caliper was the same as the caliper used on many other bikes. It is a fairly standard Nissin unit. Any of the XR250/XR400 new gen brake calipers will bolt right up. I found a damned near mint condition caliper from an early 2000s XR250R with near new OEM pads for about forty bucks and installed it without any sort of problem whatsoever. The newer caliper is clearly built around the same architecture as the older one, but with a couple of upgrades here and there. Should do a much better job than the older unit.

Onward with the rebuild I go!
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #58
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I picked up a 91 in good condition back this past summer, and have been pleasantly surprised by the bike.
Not sure if this thread is dead, looks that way, it's a shame. I have a 1991 XR 250L also (had a '89 KLR 650 before that) and am getting into the minimalist rides. There's a good thread on minimalist riding on 250cc or less and is a good thread. I do think the 250L deserves it's own thread just because it is a very versatile and tough like all XR's.

So, here's a photo of my XR followed by a few shots of a rack I welded up because I couldn't find any (XR's Only now makes a billet rack) at the time.

My XR, sans rack.

My rack as it was being fabricated.

Coming along...

Just about done, I added legs which are not in this photo, they attach to the bolt holding the blinkers, so no alterations to the frame.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
ElBando
Adventurer

John, I have a '91 XR250 also, a great bike. I have about 10,000 miles on it ( I have other dual sports that I ride, the reason for the low miles ). I like your luggage rack idea and may copy it. I wonder what these bikes are worth on the market? I am not selling mine, just wondering. BTW, I have been in Lewiston, Maine many times. I just got back from a bike trip with my wife and we were all the way up to Allagash, Maine.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #60
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 156
The Allagash is something else, great area to fish. The whole northern end of the state is a great area to visit, though hard to live up there these days unless you're retired. My brother in law has family scattered between Millinocket and Island Falls, I spent quite a few days as a kid up there when he and my sister lived there. The Lewiston Auburn area is teetering on growth for the past year with some good businesses coming to the area and a bit more variety for nightlife starting, but there's a lot of history to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBando View Post
I wonder what these bikes are worth on the market?
I see them periodically for sale around here with similar mileage for between $900 and $1,200 depending on how beat they are.

BTW, this is the rack as it looks now, though minus the junk I usually stow on it. I already had the steel laying around so this was a no cost project. Good luck with your project if you do one.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote