Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #61
ElBando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
John, I hope you don't think I'm a dunce if I ask you this next question. Now, first I should tell you I work on all my bikes, have overhauled engines , forks, brakes, etc. But, I'll be damned I can't figure out how to get the seat off of my '91 XR250. I even have a Chilton's manual and can't find how to do it. What's the trick? I think it is just two bolts somewhere but I can't seem to locate them. A pic with and arrow might help ( LOL ). Thanks
ElBando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #62
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBando View Post
John, I hope you don't think I'm a dunce if I ask you this next question. Now, first I should tell you I work on all my bikes, have overhauled engines , forks, brakes, etc. But, I'll be damned I can't figure out how to get the seat off of my '91 XR250. I even have a Chilton's manual and can't find how to do it. What's the trick? I think it is just two bolts somewhere but I can't seem to locate them. A pic with and arrow might help ( LOL ). Thanks
Sometimes I think Honda made them that way just to mess us. The bolts are located inside the fender, so you'll just have to reach under there, look at the pic (this shot is of the left side bolt, it's just above the fuse box) then your bike, they're actually quite obvious when you look under there, but it's not obvious what they are! The right side bolt is directly across. Once those two bolts are out, the seat slides back, and off. Have fun!

JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
JohnPainter
XRing

Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag

Just a quick vid I made on the Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag after using it a bit on my XR. Hope it answers questions anyone has, it's a fairly small bag, but fits perfect on the XR 250!

JohnPainter screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 04:33 PM Reason: Just figured out how to add video
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #64
JohnPainter
XRing

Rainy day project

It has been raining all day here in Maine, so I decided not to go riding.

On a whim I went to Goodwill to kill some time and found a "broken" Garamin GPS III Plus for $2.99 so I bought it. Upon opening it up I realized the only thing the matter with it was it needed the hardwired backup battery replaced, so I did the logical thing and soldered in an iPod Nano battery I had left over from a previous project. It is a more rugged rechargeable 3.7v to boot!

After sealing everything back up, I made a bracket to attach to the GPS to my bike, and what do you know I now have a pretty good little GPS/trip computer!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #65
ElBando
Adventurer

John, today I was hitting the bumps pretty hard on some old trails and was wondering how my GPS is able to handle all the vibrations ( handle bar mount ). Do you have any thoughts on that?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #66
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,030
Fixed this 95 up over the winter:

Magura fat bars, Clarke Tank, recovered seat and a rear luggage rack I put together from scratch..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #67
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
John, today I was hitting the bumps pretty hard on some old trails and was wondering how my GPS is able to handle all the vibrations ( handle bar mount ). Do you have any thoughts on that?
It's all solid state.

Not certain what type of GPS you have, but this little Garamin I found was built to go hiking with, it's waterproof and has a pretty thick case. Inside, basically anything that could move is hot glued down, and that's what I did to the iPod battery. I actually did drive down to Portland with it, roughly 40 miles each way, road miles but no problems. The real test will be, as you say on the old trails.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #68
JohnPainter
XRing

Sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Fixed this 95 up over the winter:

Magura fat bars, Clarke Tank, recovered seat and a rear luggage rack I put together from scratch..
Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #69
JohnPainter
XRing

Lazy slow ride on XR 250L

Took an afternoon slow ride along the power lines where some work is being done clearing out trees, etc, glorious day to just bump along and check things out. Plenty of wildlife out here and with the XR so quiet it made for some good sight seeing along with riding action. I will say the Kenda 761's did well in the dirt, brush and light mud, but were really sloppy going through the mountains of wood chips along this power line, on the road, as expected, they're pretty good though.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #70
ElBando
Adventurer

Starting technique

John Painter ( or anyone with an answer ), My '91 XR250L runs fine, but when it sits a while, like two weeks or more, it is a pain to start. I tried many techniques, no gas, lots of gas, no choke, half choke, different throttle positions, etc. I kick it 50 times. Finally it starts and for the rest of the day it will start first kick. I am looking for the sweet spot that will let me start it right. It seems like it doesn't get fuel right away. I loosen the screw on the carb bowl and let fresh fuel in. I've even layed the bike down on it's side to let fuel in ( someone told me to do that ) THAT actually seemed to help, not really sure though.Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #71
JohnPainter
XRing

Thumb

Quote:
.Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sure sounds like you need to clean your carb.

But start small. I would check your fuel line, any blockage? And if you have a filter between tank and carb you might want to change it. Might also want to check your gas cap and breather tube on it, I knew a guy who had a wasp build a little mud nest in the end and that totally frigged the pressure in he tank. Small things sometimes make a big difference. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #72
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
John Painter ( or anyone with an answer ), My '91 XR250L runs fine, but when it sits a while, like two weeks or more, it is a pain to start. I tried many techniques, no gas, lots of gas, no choke, half choke, different throttle positions, etc. I kick it 50 times. Finally it starts and for the rest of the day it will start first kick. I am looking for the sweet spot that will let me start it right. It seems like it doesn't get fuel right away. I loosen the screw on the carb bowl and let fresh fuel in. I've even layed the bike down on it's side to let fuel in ( someone told me to do that ) THAT actually seemed to help, not really sure though.Any suggestions? Thanks.
Turn the fuel petcock off before you shut the bike off. Allow the bike to run the carb dry and die. Leave the petcock off! When you get ready to start it, turn on the petcock and give it hell.
The gas in your carb is probably getting stale when it sits for a while. My 650L gets cranky if I let it sit for more than a week or so.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #73
ElBando
Adventurer

JohnPainter & ThumpnRed, thanks for your replies. I will do as you both say and see what happens. As a side comment I have to tell you about my 1983 Honda XL250. I can let it sit for a couple of months ( even through the winter season ) and I will pull on full choke, work the throttle 3 or 4 times and ONE kick and it fires right up. What a contrast.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #74
scallener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
ElBando, my 1993 XR250L is also somewhat hard to start at times. It is completely stock save for a first over higher compression Wiseco piston. I agree with the other posts and will just add that I believe my ignition system is a bit weak. It starts easier if I have a fully charged battery and give a full stroked fast kick.
scallener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #75
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
I can let it sit for a couple of months ( even through the winter season ) and I will pull on full choke, work the throttle 3 or 4 times and ONE kick and it fires right up. What a contrast.
My XR 250L is like that. But on days when things don't go right, and she doesn't fire up for some reason, I have a special saying I often repeat... FYYFF!