Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #76
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #77
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,132
Just thought I'd brag a little. Here are two real casks imported from England. These are what I do my cask conditioning in. My favorite way to package beer. Hard to find in the US, and, harder to find a brewery actually doing it correctly, but, common in the UK. These are used for the "warm and flat" beer from England. the beer isn't warm or flat, but, whatever....

The big one on the right has the best bitter I made last week. It'll be ready in a week or so. The small will be filled with this brown ale. I'll also use a 5 gal. corny keg. Same kegs used for soda.

Cask conditioned ale is the ultimate. If you could have the same beer side by side. One cask conditioned. One treated "normal", you'd never go back to the "normal" beer.

levain screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 05:38 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #78
Chaos-in-MT
OK lets GO!

Oddometer: 446
Jim,

Very cool, nice setup top to bottom.
I am very used to using CO2 to serve my corny kegs I.E. deliver beer under some pressure to my taps. Cask conditioned beer is not under pressure how do you serve it?
Do you pump it to the taps?
Do you ladle it out ?

Chaos
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #79
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos-in-MT
Jim,

Very cool, nice setup top to bottom.
I am very used to using CO2 to serve my corny kegs I.E. deliver beer under some pressure to my taps. Cask conditioned beer is not under pressure how do you serve it?
Do you pump it to the taps?
Do you ladle it out ?

Chaos
I use either gravity straight from the cask, or, I use a beer engine. The beer engine is a very basic pump. Much like an old style water pump. Since the cask ale, or, "real ale", is at atmospheric pressure, there is nothing to propel it to your glass, so, it's gotta be either gravity, which has never failed, or, a pump of some sort.

Ideally, this type of beer is conditioned, vented, tapped and open to the atmosphere. In a home setting, this doesn't work too well, since it would go off in a couple days. The solution is a device called a cask breather. It allows just enough c02 to keep the beer from going off, but, not enough to absorb into the beer.

Here's my pump hooked up to a firkin (10.8 us gal. cask). This time of year, my basement keeps a relatively consistent 54-58F, which is just about perfect for this type of beer.

The gravity tap looks like this. That is the smaller cask I have. A 5.4 gal Pin

The thing sticking out the top is the spigot which leads to the cask breather. It'll keep the beer drinkable for about 5 weeks. When it turns, you know it! Malt vinegar

: freaky
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #80
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Your setup is very nice! I want to find a local that does all grains and learn before I go to the next level of brewing.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #81
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Your setup is very nice! I want to find a local that does all grains and learn before I go to the next level of brewing.
All grain is easier than you might think. I've only ever done one extract beer...
Buying all the gear is the biggest thing, and, having the time. It's pretty easy though. Definitely one of those things that you can learn the basics, and, learn as you go. The more you learn, the more there is to learn! I brewed with a 5 gal. bucket, phils phalse bottom, and, two stainless pots for 10 years. You could be setup for $150.... let me know if you want a list of the basics to get going..
Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #82
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
brew sn0b nerds...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #83
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
brew sn0b nerds...
watch it, pal. We're geeks, not nerds
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #84
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
All grain is easier than you might think. I've only ever done one extract beer...
Buying all the gear is the biggest thing, and, having the time. It's pretty easy though. Definitely one of those things that you can learn the basics, and, learn as you go. The more you learn, the more there is to learn! I brewed with a 5 gal. bucket, phils phalse bottom, and, two stainless pots for 10 years. You could be setup for $150.... let me know if you want a list of the basics to get going..
There was a setup similar to yours (maybe not quite as complete) on craigslist for $600 or so with a ton of stuff. I have n upright freezer to ferment, just taking my time and treating it as a fun hobby. I think I am on batch 12-14 by now over the course of a little over a year.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #85
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Quote:
Post up!

M
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #86
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,997
Cool2 impressive!

Nice work, Jim!
TT
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #87
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:

That's a fine looking apprentice ya got there!

I'm getting inspired here Jim! How about that list of basics?

Best.
Thread.
Ever!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #88
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Here's a starter. This whole book is online, and, it's really good. John Palmer is highly respected in the homebrew community. I'll post back with the stuff I started all grain with, when I have a few minutes tonight...

http://howtobrew.com/
Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #89
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
The book is on its way Jim.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #90
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN!
The book is on its way Jim.
Right on! Do some reading and hopefully, you have a decent homebrew shop local. If not, there are lots of great homebrew shops online. northernbrewer.com is one of my favorites...

Here's some shops in Indiana
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list...=IN&homebrew=Y

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: