ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #15061
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Dual Carb? I had a 1995 XR250R and it had a dinky CV carb. I just looked at the schematic for an 86-91 and it shows a single boot from the air box. Look up "Gordon's Mods" to set your bike up. The 250 is no speed demon, but first gear is like a tractor and the fact it is a 6 speed was nice.
I noticed that too when looking on partzilla, but I've seen posts where people mention that they have the "dual carb model", so maybe it's an option. Two boots coming in, two carbs, one cylinder, one plug, two exhaust.
Also has only 5 gears... Hmm. I'll check out Gordon's mods though, thanks.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #15062
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Ahem .. Upon closer inspection I see that its actually a xL250r, not XR. Quite the naming scheme.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #15063
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Ahem .. Upon closer inspection I see that its actually a xL250r, not XR. Quite the naming scheme.

I have a friend with one of the 2 carbs and 6 speeds. Very nice little bike. Seems to run strong.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #15064
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Bull Springs

Road the Bull Springs (I think that's the name) road from Mt. Hopkins road to Patagonia. First mile is as rocky as ever but the next several miles had a blade on it. Looks like it had been real muddy from the last rain and the ranchers cleaned it up some. Took the Adobe Canyon route back that goes from 82 over to Hog Canyon then to Gardner Canyon. A sign said it was "closed" but no issue. There was a tree down in the section going to Hog Canyon but easily avoided.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #15065
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I have a friend with one of the 2 carbs and 6 speeds. Very nice little bike. Seems to run strong.
That's what I'm hoping for. The suspension seems to soak things up so well that you forget that it's even doing anything. I'll park it next to the KLR, maybe it will rub off a little :P

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #15066
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. The suspension seems to soak things up so well that you forget that it's even doing anything. I'll park it next to the KLR, maybe it will rub off a little :P
!!
I tried that,
the only result was,
you meet the nicest people on a KLR.
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #15067
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Anyone have any plans for this weekend?

I'm fairly new to the area. I'm staying down in Sierra Vista. But, def willing to travel.
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #15068
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post

I'm fairly new to the area. I'm staying down in Sierra Vista. But, def willing to travel.
I'll be doing a little riding, maybe in reddington (mountain pass, East of Tucson), but i don't think you'll want to take a gs back there.

Or, Anyone have a bearing on how technical the ride up to total wreck mine is from Mescal and i10?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #15069
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
To get to the mine, not hard at all...gas line...even high speed fun. After the mine it is quite a bit tougher as you head toward 83. This is also gas line but it has short steep rocky climbs. Once you get through the second white wire gate look for a route that turns left off the gas line. That takes you down to a marsh (I mean like swamp area). Really cool because there are cottonwoods and grass down there.

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 01:21 PM
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #15070
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post

You might check out the Cochise County AZ Ride Coord thread. There's quite a few riders down in that area.

Dave
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #15071
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
To get to the mine, not hard at all...gas line...even high speed fun. After the mine it is quite a bit tougher as you head toward 83. This is also gas line but it has short steep rocky climbs. Once you get through the second white wire fence look for a route that turns left off the gas line. That takes you down to a marsh (I mean like swamp area). Really cool because there are cottonwoods and grass down there.
Is the Marsh area you are referring to "the Narrows" as indicated on the topo?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #15072
TwoRats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Took the Adobe Canyon route back that goes from 82 over to Hog Canyon then to Gardner Canyon. A sign said it was "closed" but no issue.
Any chance you could provide more details on this part of your route? GPX or whatever? Such a great area to ride this time of year. Gardner Canyon I'm quite familiar with but I don't think Adobe/Hog to get to Gardner.
TwoRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #15073
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Is the Marsh area you are referring to "the Narrows" as indicated on the topo?

Not sure what they call it but it is in a wildlife area. The place where you cross the stream can be quit difficult to find and even fairly deep at times. I have come across several Border Patrol officers as well as park ranger types back there, but they were all cool. The thing I can't tell you anymore is where to go in to get to the gasline from I-10. You used to park off Marsh Station road but they changed that intersection (read took it out all together) and moved it. They added fences where there were none before. You need to get to the gasline running North and South to get to the mine.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #15074
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 853
It is the Las Cienegas National Conservation Area. There are a few ways to avoid the cienega, the AZBDR is the easier way.

Quote:
They added fences where there were none before. You need to get to the gasline running North and South to get to the mine.
Access that I've always used even before the change is off of East bound I-10, with a little work you might find it. The AZBDR exits STL there.

Hat tip for photo thanks ElleDubs

mntdawg screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 05:34 PM
mntdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #15075
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
You might check out the Cochise County AZ Ride Coord thread. There's quite a few riders down in that area.

Dave
Thanks. I just found that thread. Looks like I'll be headed to desert daze this weekend.
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote