ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #15076
gnadenlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Saturday off!

Finally, I get a Sat. off!

I understand the desert daze is happining, but anyone going for
a ride outside of the event?

I have an easy 1/2 day to kill and want to ride and clear my head...
I'm open to suggestions - if nothing else, I will do the control road and
smell the pine trees on Mt Lemmon!

Happy Saint Patty Day!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #15077
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
Finally, I get a Sat. off!

I understand the desert daze is happining, but anyone going for
a ride outside of the event?

I have an easy 1/2 day to kill and want to ride and clear my head...
I'm open to suggestions - if nothing else, I will do the control road and
smell the pine trees on Mt Lemmon!

Happy Saint Patty Day!
Dude it's on! pm en route.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
The spear has been shaken!!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #15078
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Hey guys, i don't know if you've cruised by CSA lately, but they've got a beautiful blue 99 f650gs with 8k on the clock. Asking a little over 4 for it. I kind of Love it a little, any thoughts?

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them."
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #15079
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
I don't think they made the 650GS back in 99. I think they had a 650 model but it was called a "Funduro" and wasn't quite the same.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #15080
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
Hey guys, i don't know if you've cruised by CSA lately, but they've got a beautiful blue 99 f650gs with 8k on the clock. Asking a little over 4 for it. I kind of Love it a little, any thoughts?

Is there a place on this earth where people act more like they are doing you a favor by accepting your business? At least in their parts dept. No thanks.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #15081
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Is there a place on this earth where people act more like they are doing you a favor by accepting your business? At least in their parts dept. No thanks.
Amazing the diversity of service people get. They are my first choice consistently, and have taken great care of me since my first walk in at their old located beside ridenow. And i don't spend much there, just parts for old bikes.
C'est la vie

Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #15082
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
It is the Las Cienegas National Conservation Area. There are a few ways to avoid the cienega, the AZBDR is the easier way.

Access that I've always used even before the change is off of East bound I-10, with a little work you might find it. The AZBDR exits STL there.

Hat tip for photo thanks ElleDubs

I've been scoping that area and admiring those paths from the highway. What is azbdr? Do you mean take the Marsh Sta exit East bound then find the entry from in there?

Edit: Simple search for AZBDR clarified. Thanks google.

Friedom screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 07:52 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #15083
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Trying to delete a duplicate entry here..

Friedom screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 06:06 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #15084
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:

I saw it, it's nice. Check out and make sure it has the updated front forks. Also, they tack on a dealer surcharge. I like CSA, they treat me well.

There was/is a real nice one up near Phoenix, might be sold, but less money and newer.
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #15085
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedave View Post
I saw it, it's nice. Check out and make sure it has the updated front forks. Also, they tack on a dealer surcharge. I like CSA, they treat me well.

There was/is a real nice one up near Phoenix, might be sold, but less money and newer.
I'll look around a bit. I'm a little happy that this one is carbureted, and it's the last year before the major updates including EFI that I guess was quirky at first. Price seems a little high though, and I think I'd want to get a Dakar if I was going to spring for one. A little extra suspension travel goes a long way :)

Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #15086
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I don't think they made the 650GS back in 99. I think they had a 650 model but it was called a "Funduro" and wasn't quite the same.
I see what you mean. 99 was the last year of the funduro.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #15087
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Sure is quiet around here.. Everyone must be riding instead of talking about riding.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #15088
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,948
I was out riding, I just got back from Charouleau Gap. There's still some water in the car wash, but it's not too deep. It was a fun ride, this time. Last time I did it in August.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #15089
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
I see what you mean. 99 was the last year of the funduro.
Actually, '00 was the first model year for the new F650GS everywhere but the US. I had an '01 F650GS Dakar and it was the first year model for the US. It had the low output Funduro charging system which was upgraded in '02, once the BMW factory used up all the old parts.

Dave
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #15090
acruhl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I rode up to the end of the pavement on Mt. Graham yesterday. I went through Reddington, Cascabel, 3 links road, toward Ft. Grant and then 266 to 191.

There was some snow on Mt. Graham, but it didn't seem like they should have had the road closed:

It was more than 300 miles round trip. 300 miles on the DR350 is about as far as I want to go with the stock seat. It also didn't like the freeway miles I put on it on the way back. I nearly ran out of gas, I didn't realize the mileage was so bad at speed.

Anyway, when the road opens I might get a few people together to do this again and maybe check out the telescope (permit required), or go to the lake. I know a few people in Safford who might also go.

So anyways, on the way back while on 3 links road, I saw this nice road going up the hill on the other side of the San Pedro river looking west. Google Earth calls it "W Neds Jeep Trail". It looks like it hooks up with one of the roads in Happy Valley eventually. Has anyone tried that one? You get to the east side of it from Ocotillo Rd. north of Benson I guess.

acruhl screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 04:59 PM Reason: Picture size edit again
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote