ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #15181
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Probably good news for any trackday riders. I don't think I'll be in Tucson long enough to see this thing complete.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...33d8bfaf5.html
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #15182
millican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Is it possible to go from Tucson to Yuma without getting on the interstate? I'll be going in about a week to visit my wife who will be working in Mexico south of Yuma. (an irony of the border fence in place)
I'll be riding a "250"cc Honda Helix as I can't find the title to my Datsun, and the Arkansas tag on it will be expiring very soon.
Leaving pavement at the West end of hwy 86 is fine, but is it possible to ride from there to Yuma off-road or to Mexico directly via Mex. Fed. Hwy 2?
Wikipedia often lists speed limits on highways, but not for Mex. Fed. Hwy 2. Is anyone familiar with that or the area between Ajo and Yuma?
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #15183
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl View Post
I saw what appeared to be TW200 tracks on FR4436 off of Reddington road this morning. Don Benito by chance?
Not me this time, but I'm always interested in meeting a fellow TW rider if you do track them down.

Not a lot of non-TW riders can keep pace with me. Most bikes stall and fall over when they try to ride that slow!

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #15184
acruhl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
Not me this time, but I'm always interested in meeting a fellow TW rider if you do track them down.

Not a lot of non-TW riders can keep pace with me. Most bikes stall and fall over when they try to ride that slow!
Ahh yeah, that would be me. My DR's suspension is so bad that I have to go really slow, and it's not very graceful. I keep reading about how good TW200s are for slow stuff... I have a friend that has a really nice one I've been waiting for him to sell.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #15185
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
Is it possible to go from Tucson to Yuma without getting on the interstate? I'll be going in about a week to visit my wife who will be working in Mexico south of Yuma. (an irony of the border fence in place)
I'll be riding a "250"cc Honda Helix as I can't find the title to my Datsun, and the Arkansas tag on it will be expiring very soon.
Leaving pavement at the West end of hwy 86 is fine, but is it possible to ride from there to Yuma off-road or to Mexico directly via Mex. Fed. Hwy 2?
Wikipedia often lists speed limits on highways, but not for Mex. Fed. Hwy 2. Is anyone familiar with that or the area between Ajo and Yuma?
It would be a LONG journey but you could cross at Lukeville/Sonoita, then take MEX-2 over to San Louis RC. I haven't ridden 2 since last winter but at that time there were a lot of construction zones where we were detoured off the pavement and onto the dirt/sand. The MX speed limits are much lower than I-10/I-8. Mex-2 has lots of truck & bus traffic. Not a fun ride.

Dave
Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #15186
millican
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips. My wife just told me that the big gray area on google maps between Organ Pipe and Yuma is an Air Force Base; no crossing it. Lukeville and Mex. 2 it will be, trucks and buses and all. Now to get the insurance.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #15187
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Dirt Bike loading ramp

Anybody want a loading ramp? It's a one piece (does not fold) aluminium ramp.
I figure $20 bucks.

I have a picture of it somewhere if I can figure out which computer or camera it's on.

Russ
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #15188
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

BMW Open House this Saturday

I think I'm gonna take the Airhead and go by to check out the EBR bike. I haven't seen it up close yet. They usually have some cool demos and stuff going on.

Russ
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #15189
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
Thanks for the tips. My wife just told me that the big gray area on google maps between Organ Pipe and Yuma is an Air Force Base; no crossing it. Lukeville and Mex. 2 it will be, trucks and buses and all. Now to get the insurance.

I have camped there a couple of times. You have to get permission from a BLM office in AJO. It is a pretty neat place - in winter - not so much in summer.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #15190
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Anybody want a loading ramp? It's a one piece (does not fold) aluminium ramp.
I figure $20 bucks.

I have a picture of it somewhere if I can figure out which computer or camera it's on.

Russ
Hey Russ, I may be interested. My Kendon came without a loading ramp and I've been looking for a ramp I could cut down to size. Is it beefy enough for the GS if I cut it down to 4'-5'?

Dave
Old 04-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #15191
millican
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
I have camped there a couple of times. You have to get permission from a BLM office in AJO. It is a pretty neat place - in winter - not so much in summer.
Sounds like I need to get some rotopax or something on there before summer then for other trips out there.
For now, how's the Border Road? Is permission required for that?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #15192
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Hey Russ, I may be interested. My Kendon came without a loading ramp and I've been looking for a ramp I could cut down to size. Is it beefy enough for the GS if I cut it down to 4'-5'?

Dave
Dave,

Your post beat Low Downs PM by about a half hour so I let you have first shot at it. It's pretty light weight but would probably work if it was shorter. I wouldn't use it as is for loading into a truck. The Kendon is pretty low so prolly ok. You decision though.

edit: I meant to say "I wouldn't use it to load a BMW GS into a truck"

Russ

russbryant screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 10:05 PM
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #15193
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Carb Stix or carb synch tool--anybody?

I need to borrow or buy (cheap!) a carb synchronizer for my BMW R90/6. I just installed a set of almost new carbs and would like to get them set up.

Brian Lamberts (Eastside) 310-9165
Old 04-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #15194
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
Brian, I have a CarbTune that can do up to four carbs at one time. I am at Golf Links and Harrison
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #15195
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC View Post
Brian, I have a CarbTune that can do up to four carbs at one time. I am at Golf Links and Harrison
Thanks Bill. It's safely in the back of my KLR.