ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #15226
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt View Post
Recommendations for a place to get my forks rebuilt?

Depends on what type of motorcycle.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #15227
Rangerscorn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt View Post
Recommendations for a place to get my forks rebuilt?
I had my forks rebuilt on my F800GS by Donnie at ZR1 suspension and they seem to be doing great.

At the same time I did buy a brand new rear Racetech shock from him and it blew after about 500 miles. Hoping it was just a factory defect.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #15228
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscorn View Post
I had my forks rebuilt on my F800GS by Donnie at ZR1 suspension and they seem to be doing great.

At the same time I did buy a brand new rear Racetech shock from him and it blew after about 500 miles. Hoping it was just a factory defect.
That is the kind of experiences I have had...hit or miss. I have had several shocks start leaking very soon after he serviced them. He always reworks them for free but it is a pain in the butt to have to take them off the bike again.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #15229
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,008
Stillwell. Period.

He is the only guy to have work on your boingers!

Oh Whosmydaddy, I gotta new Rekluse in the Berg...... Rug next Oct?

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #15230
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Big E,

Is he in Phoenix or Tucson? Got contact info? I really need to get the Shivers on my R100GS sorted.

Russ
Tucson
Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #15231
Rangerscorn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
That is the kind of experiences I have had...hit or miss. I have had several shocks start leaking very soon after he serviced them. He always reworks them for free but it is a pain in the butt to have to take them off the bike again.
Front shocks still holding up. The rear isn't even his fault. Got it directly from RaceTech and installed it. Complete failure out in the middle of the Apache Reservation. Sent it back for rebuild and those jokers are taking their sweet time. Took me three weeks to get it, and now coming up on the third week to get it rebuilt. 6 weeks without my primary transportation is killing me.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #15232
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscorn View Post
Front shocks still holding up. The rear isn't even his fault. Got it directly from RaceTech and installed it. Complete failure out in the middle of the Apache Reservation. Sent it back for rebuild and those jokers are taking their sweet time. Took me three weeks to get it, and now coming up on the third week to get it rebuilt. 6 weeks without my primary transportation is killing me.

Race tech is very much hit or miss. I ordered a valve kit and springs for my Tiger yesterday. They sent then out same day and I'll get it tomorrow. I went with a Hyper Pro shock though.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #15233
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Big E,

Is he in Phoenix or Tucson? Got contact info? I really need to get the Shivers on my R100GS sorted.

Russ
Tucson
Try contacting Evan Steel Performance here in town. Several Xchallenge owners have had shiver work done there with positive results. Whether they can work on yours I don't know. I am not knowledgeable enough on the various fork models.

ESP is certainly the best place to go for suspension for street bikes (and some others) in town which is why I asked the first poster what kind of bike it was. I'd be inclined not to ask them to do dirt bike stuff because 1) they may not be interested in doing anyway and 2) others have more experience and also would probably be cheaper.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #15234
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Try contacting Evan Steel Performance here in town. Several Xchallenge owners have had shiver work done there with positive results. Whether they can work on yours I don't know. I am not knowledgeable enough on the various fork models.

ESP is certainly the best place to go for suspension for street bikes (and some others) in town which is why I asked the first poster what kind of bike it was. I'd be inclined not to ask them to do dirt bike stuff because 1) they may not be interested in doing anyway and 2) others have more experience and also would probably be cheaper.
I'm planning to talk to Frank Z. first. Just curious about Stillwell, who or what ever it is.

Russ
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #15235
tmac13
SomeCallHimTim

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Just curious about Stillwell, who or what ever it is.

Russ

http://stillwellperformance.com/
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #15236
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks tmac. I see they are in Scottsdale but may end up giving them a call to see what they have to say. The forks are 45mm Shivers off a Husky TE450 and are on my R100GS.

I know they have issues. One of the rebound clickers does not bottom out. It seems to feel normal when turning the adjuster clockwise to close it but then stops clicking as it keeps turning.

Russ
Tucson
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #15237
_chris_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Tucson area and I need to buy some "warmer weather" Dual Sport riding gear on somewhat short notice. I ride mostly off road, pretty much the full gambit of difficulty. I have good street gear so looking for off road and I'm happy with my current helmet.

Can anyone let me know which shop(s) in Tucson are most likely to stock appropriate gear?

Bonus points if they're going to stock accessories for my DR650.

Thanks!

Chris.

_chris_ screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 05:19 PM Reason: Added location for clarity
_chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #15238
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chris_ View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Tucson area and I need to buy some "warmer weather" Dual Sport riding gear on somewhat short notice. I ride mostly off road, pretty much the full gambit of difficulty. I have good street gear so looking for off road and I'm happy with my current helmet.

Can anyone let me know which shop(s) in Tucson are most likely to stock appropriate gear?

Bonus points if they're going to stock accessories for my DR650.

Thanks!

Chris.
Cycle Gear is at Grant & Stone. Their 'Bilt' brand stuff is moderately priced and decent quality.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #15239
_chris_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey 685,

Thanks. Their site looks good. Do they have a shop? I might get the tires changed too...

Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Cycle Gear is at Grant & Stone. Their 'Bilt' brand stuff is moderately priced and decent quality.
_chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #15240
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chris_ View Post
Hey 685,

Thanks. Their site looks good. Do they have a shop? I might get the tires changed too...

Chris.

I don't know. Give them a call. Seems to me that they do, tho.