ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #15286
daBum
the Bum

Oddometer: 73
Jacskon Cabin

Low-N-Slow: here's that ride I mentioned earlier today - about 180 miles round trip.

500+ Lb bike not recommended for this route.
daBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #15287
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
What was the issue with OAM? I'm about to take a bike there for some service.
Just too many things. Examples:
A couple years ago, when they put on my rear tire, a few miles out of the shop my rear brake completely locked up (I was not braking at the time, and thankfully, I was not cornering either.) It was pretty obvious to me, and plenty of others, that they were sloppy in putting the rear wheel back on and didn't seat the rear pad correctly. They redid my rear brakes at cost, but still... kinda scary.
Last week they sent a friend of mine home (new tires) with overinflated tires - she found her self thinking "wow - these tires suck!" With the correct pressure, of course, they were fine.
Yesterday's new front tire for my machine was supposed to be done a week ago (dunno if they goofed the order or their supplier did), and was only completed yesterday. They called me to pick up the bike Friday eve just before closing, (too late for me). When I arrived to get it Saturday morning, it's not actually ready and I have to stand around while he gets it off the lift and test rides it. (Not a big deal, but why tell me it's ready for pick up the day before when it's not?) Then he looks at me like I'm an idiot when I request the spec tire pressure instead of the extra 5lbs he's put in...
I've had a few pieces of major work done there (stupid Ducati), but... time for a change, and also time for me to be doing more of the work myself. Time crunch this week, though - the bike and I are supposed to be departing to northern UT in a week and I've got a pile of stuff to do above and beyond getting the bike ready to go.

Quote:
Call Phil at Evan Steel Performance - they are pretty legit. Been putting the bike on the dyno there recently.
Frank at ZMW adventures can probably service that as well.
Right! Forgot about Evan! Met them at the track at Inde. Tried them once before, but didn't get a call back.
Been curious about ZMW (that was the shop I knew had been recommended in this thread, but couldn't remember the name, and couldn't bring it up on a search.)
Thanks!

Quote:
Its not a particularly hard DIY job.
Ya,at the very least, I should take the forks off myself, and bring them in, instead of the whole bike. I know Sparks will do that for you, and perhaps the other guys will, too.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #15288
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,129
Jackson Cabin.

A LOT of high speed dirt, especially for an A rider. Would be a hoot on his Razr.

You can cut that long corner off over to point "D" and add some fun two track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daBum View Post
Low-N-Slow: here's that ride I mentioned earlier today - about 180 miles round trip.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #15289
Low-N-Slow
Scootin & Movin!!

Oddometer: 15
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
Jackson Cabin.

A LOT of high speed dirt, especially for an A rider. Would be a hoot on his Razr.

I might have to try it on the RZR first!! Then again where is the adventure without a little risk? I still have the Dirt Bagz and can carry several small bottles of fuel with me as well if need be.
Low-N-Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #15290
Low-N-Slow
Scootin & Movin!!

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daBum View Post

500+ Lb bike not recommended for this route.
This looks like a great ride! I might have to try this one on one of my longer weekends!! It would definitely be much easier and doable with a machine like yours. Would have to pack some extra fuel with me to ensure a return without hiking out...
Low-N-Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #15291
operaflute
Starving Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071
What was the issue with OAM? I'm about to take a bike there for some service.
Oh, and in addition to my earlier comments, guess who forgot to torque my front axle to spec? Yup, OAM. I know this because we (meaning I stood there while boyfriend did the work) just took my forks off to bring to Frank at ZMW. (So far I really like meeting/talking with Frank, so thanks for the recommendation. Completely coincidentally, Frank knows my boyfriend's mother, and my boyfriend knows his Frank girlfriend.)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #15292
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

operaflute,

When you make it up to Utah, stop in at the 3 Step for a night. Our next door neighbors bought a B&B up there and are doing an awesome job taking care of the riders passing through.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #15293
operaflute
Starving Artist

Thanks for the tip! If I didn't have to bee-line it tomorrow, I'd def make this a detour this very weekend. Dern it, though, forks are still leaking despite new seals. I hate to love that darn bike. Not sure which bike or vehicle will be departing in the morning...

Quote:
operaflute,

When you make it up to Utah, stop in at the 3 Step for a night. Our next door neighbors bought a B&B up there and are doing an awesome job taking care of the riders passing through.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #15294
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,401
OperaFlute, we as Tucson riders are so happy to have a member of the opposite sex appreciating the beauty of riding. With the exception of YZFCathy and the long gone BombasiticBecky, we have had little to no females in our riding ranks. Now it will take some real skill to match Cathy in riding talent, we would love to show you the challenging side of Tucson, if you are up to it, we are excited to show you the so called "Road Less Traveled". Oh, and why we may not be Ian Anderson with our Jethro Tull like bikes, we sure can beat the local marching band's flute players.

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 10:29 PM
HoosierTrailmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #15295
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Bad scene up at Redington and 4436

Took a quick spin up Redington today, turned off on 4436 and some bad actors had left their mark on the place.

Trash and debris, traffic cones and other "targets", hundreds of spent shells and casings on the ground, and a dead dog that looks to have been shot a few times. Still had a collar on.

Tough to say exactly what happened with the dog, but at the risk of sounding alarmist it stands to reason that the kind of person who would shoot a dog like that wouldn't be above taking pot shots at a passing rider. Most sickos start with animals and work their way up.

It's a shame to see how the garbage and disrespect for the land has spread out since they closed the 3 popular shooting sites up there. At least the damage was isolated before.

I'm a sportsman and a target shooter myself, so please don't take my comments the wrong way. I was just raised to have a little respect, and I believe a wide berth of caution is warranted around folks who don't have any.

Just a heads up for those who ride out that way.

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #15296
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
Took a quick spin up Redington today, turned off on 4436 and some bad actors had left their mark on the place.

Trash and debris, traffic cones and other "targets", hundreds of spent shells and casings on the ground, and a dead dog that looks to have been shot a few times. Still had a collar on.

Tough to say exactly what happened with the dog, but at the risk of sounding alarmist it stands to reason that the kind of person who would shoot a dog like that wouldn't be above taking pot shots at a passing rider. Most sickos start with animals and work their way up.

It's a shame to see how the garbage and disrespect for the land has spread out since they closed the 3 popular shooting sites up there. At least the damage was isolated before.

I'm a sportsman and a target shooter myself, so please don't take my comments the wrong way. I was just raised to have a little respect, and I believe a wide berth of caution is warranted around folks who don't have any.

Just a heads up for those who ride out that way.
If you have not done it, please call the sheriff dept. and let them know about what your saw esp. with regards to the dog.

I am sorry you had to see that. Seen some rough shit the last few months with regards to dead/dieing dogs including having to put my 12 year old down and it infuriates me how someone could hurt a dog on purpose in such a brutal way.

Go to hell bastards.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #15297
DonBenito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If you have not done it, please call the sheriff dept. and let them know about what your saw esp. with regards to the dog.

I am sorry you had to see that. Seen some rough shit the last few months with regards to dead/dieing dogs including having to put my 12 year old down and it infuriates me how someone could hurt a dog on purpose in such a brutal way.

Go to hell bastards.
The rangers are aware of it.

2011 TW200
2013 Tiger Explorer XC
2012 KLR 650 - Sold
DonBenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #15298
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Jackson Cabin.

Does the Razr have good A/C?
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #15299
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
If you go fast enough.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #15300
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
Doofus sold it to buy a 690.

At least he'll have a distance bike for some adventuring.