ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #1546
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster
In my opinion Cycra's are the best, but the are also the most expensive. They seem to have more clearance for the levers than the other. Most of the others, Acerbis, Moose Racing, Tusk, seem to all be about the same measurements. I would bet most of these are made in the same factory as well.
Yeah, my Rallypro's are a little tight around the levers, not been a problem though. The Cycra's are nice.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #1547
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armacham
i called the number in your PM twice, and left a message, but it just went to Voicemail both times?

I'm still down for a ride, i just dont think becky can make it because shes working ona project

Hmm, that's weird, no voice mail or calls came through......

I need to check with the provider and find out what's going on.

@jsonder - so, other than the tip-over, how was the trail to Chiva?

ravenranger screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 05:46 PM
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #1548
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,078
Arizona Fish & Game List of Trails and Rules

Hi All,

I had posted this a long time ago and thought with all the new people joining in on our fun lil riding grounds...and all you looking for new rides, and John looking for places to dig trenches, and Alyn looking for trees to climb, here is the link for all the trails around Arizona.

There is also info on the OHV laws:

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/arizona_ohv_trails.shtml
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold

KIC screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:43 PM
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #1549
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,380
Hey Bill,

I wasn't digging trenches, I took John the "Grave Digger" with me. We hit a steep climb that apparently had just been graded and was very very loose. He got caught in this and dug in. After riding some fairly gnarly stuff we got back to the parking lot where we parked and I hit some sand and launched myself into a Mesquite tree. As they say, most accidents happen within a mile of home.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #1550
KIC
Proud Army Dad

CHRISTmas Toy Parade

So here it goes....every year they have a bike parade to collect gifts and raise funds for the underprivileged kids.

This year it is Saturday December 05. Here is the info from the web site:

Annual Motorcycle Toy Parade - Tucson, Arizona - Beaudry RV - Parade begins at Tucson Convention Center @ 12p, door prizes, raffles, vendors, refreshments, 1000s of motorcycles, proceeds benefit Aviva children's Services, Sa 5p-10p.

Address : Beaudry RV & Tucson Convention Center
Phone : 520-440-7032 (Always call and confirm events.)
Admission Fee : $25/rider or $15 & $10 toy

SO.... how cool would it be to have a convocation of Dual Sport bikes ride in this parade. Let's show the thumpers, (and the others), off !!!

You might be able to see Ol' Santa AND the Grinch ! I found out why the Grinch is so miserable...He has to ride a Harley !

Santa Too !

There were even a couple of Santa's lil' helpers.

What do you guys think? Let's help out the kids and have some fun ! If we plan now we should be able to get a good group showing.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1551
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger
@jsonder - so, other than the tip-over, how was the trail to Chiva?
SW entrance still nasty. I bailed about 3/4 mile in. After playing with Rich, I went in the other entrance and stopped on a nice knoll for lunch. The ride to that point just had a bit of rocky stuff at the entrance and then it was pretty nice. Probably less than a mile. That's as far as I got.

The problem was that I had a bag pocket with no lunch. Apparently I hadn't closed it after looking for missing ear plugs, before taking off with Rich. So I went back out riding back the way that I had come an hour or two earlier, and found the bag of dried fruit, still edible, and the bag which had contained a sandwich, ripped open and just a crust and some peanut butter left in the bag. I never did find the tire gauge that had been in there with the lunch stuff.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #1552
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder
So I went back out riding back the way that I had come an hour or two earlier, and found the bag of dried fruit, still edible, and the bag which had contained a sandwich, ripped open and just a crust and some peanut butter left in the bag. I never did find the tire gauge that had been in there with the lunch stuff.
Damn squirrels! I hate all rodents.
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #1553
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC

SO.... how cool would it be to have a convocation of Dual Sport bikes ride in this parade. Let's show the thumpers, (and the others), off !!!

If we plan now we should be able to get a good group showing.
Sounds like a hoot, KIC. Being in December, our dang thumpers won't overheat in the parade, either.

Here's a "better" site to explore for the ride: http://www.kfma.com/feature/toyParade.php

It's still missing a bunch of details, but it beats the one you linked to.

Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #1554
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder
Neither one of you was riding that blue bike today.

Did rock climbing lead to tree climbing?

Rich and I are out safely. However, it looks like handguards are needed for the little CRF230L. I would welcome suggestions as to what might fit.
John:

At least the grip end is already cut off for you!

I tossed a set of Zeta guards/hand protectors on my XR650R recently (7/8 bars). They fit well, and were affordable. Luckily, I don't know how well they hold up to crashes (yet).

If you have a long azzz clutch lever, like the stock XR variety, they will clip the end of the guards.

The coolest aspect of the Zeta hand guards (the specified ones), is that they can house built in blinkers. http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/...html#anchor-xc

Seems like a good idea.

Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #1555
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsAZ
Sounds like a hoot, KIC. Being in December, our dang thumpers won't overheat in the parade, either.

Here's a "better" site to explore for the ride: http://www.kfma.com/feature/toyParade.php

It's still missing a bunch of details, but it beats the one you linked to.

Dave
If you notice ...down in the fine print that is for the 2006 parade. I found stuff for all past years... they ususally don't post until early November(ish) I was trying to get a jump start. Doesn't sound like too many are interested though.

C'mon guys n gals...where's the CHRISTmas spirit ? the stores already have the displays it is cooling down..ain't ya got the CHRISTmas spirit yet ?

C'mon...think about it... sing along with me....Jingle Thumper..Jingle Thumper...Jingle all the way... Oh what fun it is to ride on a one-cylinder thumper sleigh......

We already have the red and green KLR's in the CHRISTmas colors.

And although the reds' are the fastest, most of us can ride slow enough for the other colors to keep up.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #1556
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 924
bump for the weekend ride I posted a few pages back.

This Saturday, Oct. 10th, retracing the "death in the desert" route from Tucson to Arivaca. The return route is still up in the air.

There is about 45 miles of dirt, rocks, sand, cactus, blown up cars, illegals, and all the other classic desert scenery.

I'd rate this as 'not noob friendly', but certainly 'big bike [with experienced rider] friendly.

Weekend before last, two noobs finished the route in about 6 hours, although both were well beyond starting to show signs of exhaustion. I'm guessing it will take about 4 hours for experienced riders (or 2 1/2 hours for Cathy on her 525).

Meeting at the Shell station (used to be a Mobil) at Ajo Hwy (SR 86) and Tucson Estates Parkway. Stands up at 7:30am. 20 miles of pavement between the meeting spot and the dirt. I hope to be in Arivaca for Lunch at Gadsden Coffee.

Bring water. Lots of it. I recommend at least one gallon per rider. If it is hot, you *will* use it (ask Becky). Seriously.

Water, gas, food & air is available in Arivaca -- no repair services though. Max distance between gas stations is around 75 miles.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #1557
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes
bump for the weekend ride I posted a few pages back.

This Saturday, Oct. 10th, retracing the "death in the desert" route from Tucson to Arivaca. The return route is still up in the air.

There is about 45 miles of dirt, rocks, sand, cactus, blown up cars, illegals, and all the other classic desert scenery.

I'd rate this as 'not noob friendly', but certainly 'big bike [with experienced rider] friendly.

Weekend before last, two noobs finished the route in about 6 hours, although both were well beyond starting to show signs of exhaustion. I'm guessing it will take about 4 hours for experienced riders (or 2 1/2 hours for Cathy on her 525).

Meeting at the Shell station (used to be a Mobil) at Ajo Hwy (SR 86) and Tucson Estates Parkway. Stands up at 7:30am. 20 miles of pavement between the meeting spot and the dirt. I hope to be in Arivaca for Lunch at Gadsden Coffee.

Bring water. Lots of it. I recommend at least one gallon per rider. If it is hot, you *will* use it (ask Becky). Seriously.

Water, gas, food & air is available in Arivaca -- no repair services though. Max distance between gas stations is around 75 miles.
If you keep trying to kill off our riders, there won't be anybody left for the Red Garter nights...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #1558
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
If you keep trying to kill off our riders, there won't be anybody left for the Red Garter nights...
I haven't killed anyone yet!

Besides, they only need to keep up with the fat guy on the heavy bike. Can't be *that* difficult.

goodtimes screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 09:58 AM
goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #1559
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Allyn and I tried the front way into the falls this morning and the climb was still nasty. We had no problem the back way in, on the trail that's to the east.

BTW, Allyn's new Delta Chi name is "HoosierTreemaster."

Oh come on guys, I've seen a girl do it a few times, before it was graded when it was really nasty.

rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #1560
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,380
Hey Skipster,

That was NOT the way we went. This was up some pretty shear rock face and was easily twice the most difficult thing we did the week before. I was really surprised when John said "let's do this". We got stuck about half way up at a 5' rock face when we couldn't see a good line. The rumors of grading were greatly exaggerated. Going the lower route wasn't difficult but was challenging. I took the 2-smoke which was fun, but I ended up with a couple engine leaks.

PS: I took my Ohlins rear shock over to this guy Don from ZR-1 Racing (off Sunset). This guy had my shock completely cleaned, new gaskets and nitrogen recharge in about 2 hours. To boot he wasn't even home when I dropped it off with a note. He has a really bad 1979 XR 500 long travel dual shock, up there with some of your Pentons.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote