ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #211
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by inire
I work on Kitt, so if anyone wants a tour (but only if its a Friday or Saturday, since The Boss lurks on other days).

And keep us posted on DM airshows! I love going and (up to now) was disheartened to not see DM on any of the schedules.
How about the 21st of march? Its a saturday. Its far enough in the future that if anyone wants to tag along, there's plenty of time to plan.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #212
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Kitt Peak

What is Kitt Peak?

Sounds interesting, what is the road condition? Narrow, windy, and rough or bigger and smoother? I need to take my RT out for some exercise but I don't want to be on a bunch of tight backroads kind of stuff.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #213
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
What is Kitt Peak?

Sounds interesting, what is the road condition? Narrow, windy, and rough or bigger and smoother? I need to take my RT out for some exercise but I don't want to be on a bunch of tight backroads kind of stuff.

Kitt Peak is the 'local' observatory. The road to the top is paved, but occasionally has some gravel strewn across. Its off Ajo Highway, which is the most boring part of the whole ride, thus doing Arivaca on the way out there, so i only have to do the mind-numbingly boring stretch on the way back to town.

I don't know how tight the turns are, but I hear it could be equated to a shorter version of Mt. Lemmon highway.

Someone who's actually ridden it can probably help more. My suggestion would be to find it on google earth and take a look for yourself.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #214
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt
Kitt Peak is the 'local' observatory. The road to the top is paved, but occasionally has some gravel strewn across. Its off Ajo Highway, which is the most boring part of the whole ride, thus doing Arivaca on the way out there, so i only have to do the mind-numbingly boring stretch on the way back to town.

I don't know how tight the turns are, but I hear it could be equated to a shorter version of Mt. Lemmon highway.

Someone who's actually ridden it can probably help more. My suggestion would be to find it on google earth and take a look for yourself.
As someone who drives it in a UfA cage twice a day and on my bike whenever I get an excuse, I can report that it is a nice flowing road that doesn't have hairpins or off-camber and at least IMO lends itself to smoothness instead of banging into every turn. 12 miles from top to bottom, but hte first mile doesn't count since it is just straight and climbing gently.

AFD is darn tootin for the boredom pf Ajo. Spice it up with people who are either under the influence or asleep and it can get interesting, but thats pretty much any straight road anywhere.

weekdays I never see constabulary, though I cannot speak for weekends. With the cold nights/warm days, recent snow and high winds, there are rocks on the road, though AZDOT gets most of the ones that would toss you off the bike. within 2 hours of dawn or dusk there are always critters on the road. At night you are assured of seeing deer, bobcat, coati and lots of nighthawks (spring). The road is officially closed at night, though: headlights + astronomers = gnashing of teeth and calling of names.

I'll check with Mission COntrol as to whether 21st is doable for me.

UNRELATED: going to see Watchmen at the CentPark16 @ I10/Grant tomorrow for 1815 showing. AFD? your avatar implies you are a candidate...

a couple of my mates may go, but so far it sounds like it'll be just me.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #215
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:

UNRELATED: going to see Watchmen at the CentPark16 @ I10/Grant tomorrow for 1815 showing. AFD? your avatar implies you are a candidate...

Would you consider doing the 1800 show at El Con or the 1835 show at Park Mall? I don't like leaving my bike unattended for a couple of hours at the Grant/I-10 Theater as it's one of the hot spots for vehicle thefts in Tucson.

If you're good with the location change, I'm in.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #216
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Quote:
As someone who drives it in a UfA cage twice a day and on my bike whenever I get an excuse, I can report that it is a nice flowing road that doesn't have hairpins or off-camber and at least IMO lends itself to smoothness instead of banging into every turn. 12 miles from top to bottom, but hte first mile doesn't count since it is just straight and climbing gently.

AFD is darn tootin for the boredom pf Ajo. Spice it up with people who are either under the influence or asleep and it can get interesting, but thats pretty much any straight road anywhere.

weekdays I never see constabulary, though I cannot speak for weekends. With the cold nights/warm days, recent snow and high winds, there are rocks on the road, though AZDOT gets most of the ones that would toss you off the bike. within 2 hours of dawn or dusk there are always critters on the road. At night you are assured of seeing deer, bobcat, coati and lots of nighthawks (spring). The road is officially closed at night, though: headlights + astronomers = gnashing of teeth and calling of names.

I'll check with Mission COntrol as to whether 21st is doable for me.

See, and everything I knew about that road I heard from other people, having never driven it myself. Only the bit of Ajo hwy that one inevitably hits when one does Arivaca and must come back to tucson quickly.

Unrelated: Saw watchmen on sunday and loved it. But if you're expecting a superhero movie, i'd almost say don't even go. Its not a superhero movie. I did find it to be an absolutely stunning movie. Many people i've talked to had the complaint that doctor manhatten spends almost the entire movie completely naked, and they are not afraid of full frontal nudity. I'd love to see it again, but I work from 2pm to 11, so i'll have to pass.

Oh, totally forgot this: what do you do at Kitt, since you work there?

Oh, found out things about the airshow. Appearently, they cancelled it this year and moved it to next year, because it was conflicting with Luke's airshow (them being only about a week or so apart). SO now there will be an airshow in arizona every year.

AirForceDirt screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 08:46 AM
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #217
inire
Browncoat symp

Quote:
See, and everything I knew about that road I heard from other people, having never driven it myself. Only the bit of Ajo hwy that one inevitably hits when one does Arivaca and must come back to tucson quickly.

Unrelated: Saw watchmen on sunday and loved it. But if you're expecting a superhero movie, i'd almost say don't even go. Its not a superhero movie. I did find it to be an absolutely stunning movie. Many people i've talked to had the complaint that doctor manhatten spends almost the entire movie completely naked, and they are not afraid of full frontal nudity. I'd love to see it again, but I work from 2pm to 11, so i'll have to pass.

Oh, totally forgot this: what do you do at Kitt, since you work there?

Oh, found out things about the airshow. Appearently, they cancelled it this year and moved it to next year, because it was conflicting with Luke's airshow (them being only about a week or so apart). SO now there will be an airshow in arizona every year.
Good to know about airshow, though disappointed another year goes by without zoom zoom in our backyard....(I love airplane noise, sorry).

I'm a knuckledragger for the UofA's scopes and facilities. Everything from kazillion-dollar instruments to clogged toilets. yey!

and having read the graphic-novel I'm psyched to hear that the movie didn't just go 'super'. Thats not what the story is about.

That said, seeing Rorshach kick bootie will be a hoot. And everything will be in the Shadow of Dr Manhattan's JunK.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #218
Gringo Viejo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Kitt Peak

Kitt Peak is a great ride (on a sport/ sport touring bike), especially if Inire can give a tour of this world class facility. The twisties aren't as long as Mt. Lemmon, but they are banked, and fun, and best of all, you don't have to worry about cops (at least I don't think so!!). Do the hill twice, just for fun. Ajo is another issue, however. If you don't have a radar detector, stay within the limit...I was stopped for felony speeding (92 in 65 zone) by the Rez Police (cheap BMW speedometer, I thought I was doing at least 100)...The officer, however, was very polite, gave no lectures, and gave me a ticket for "only" 80. They drive Blue Impalas, by the way.

Enjoy the forum...if you ever see an old guy in a blue bimmer jacket quivering in a ditch by the side of the road, please toss me a beer....Guayo
Gringo Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #219
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Sounds good

I think I can make that ride if you aren't taking off too early (I am thinking about quitting the second job, it gets in the way of my racing/riding).

Oh, Doroteo, the speedometer on my BMW R1200RT is spot on (GPS verifed to ~127 MPH), the 650GS is off by quite a bit though. I think they do that to make you buy the bigger bikes

Well, you have the GT. Maybe they want everyone to buy an R? They do love their boxer engine.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #220
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
I think I can make that ride if you aren't taking off too early (I am thinking about quitting the second job, it gets in the way of my racing/riding).

Oh, Doroteo, the speedometer on my BMW R1200RT is spot on (GPS verifed to ~127 MPH), the 650GS is off by quite a bit though. I think they do that to make you buy the bigger bikes

Well, you have the GT. Maybe they want everyone to buy an R? They do love their boxer engine.
I don't get off til almost midnight anyways, and I like my sleep, so I like the idea of heading out at around 10ish.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #221
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
My wife and I would LOVE to have a tour of the observatory!

I'll bring the beer, hidden in suspicious looking paper bags, of course!

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #222
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Tag along for the ride then? I don't have a clue what time I'll get there, doing arivaca first and all, but if inire doesn't mind doing a tour for us all, you're welcome to come along.

Unrelated: Inire, did you go see Watchmen? What'd you think?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #223
inire
Browncoat symp

Quote:
Tag along for the ride then? I don't have a clue what time I'll get there, doing arivaca first and all, but if inire doesn't mind doing a tour for us all, you're welcome to come along.
So long as everyone realizes that if this occurs, it'll just be another day at the orifice for me. And non of you kids better mess around! no shennanigans!

Quote:
Unrelated: Inire, did you go see Watchmen? What'd you think?
I thought it rocked out loud. Variations from the exact story notwithstanding, the story was complete, well told, and though a bit closer to Sin City from the graphic violence standpoint, a really fine movie. Great little touches throughout (the Neil Armstrong quote was fabulous). Solid .

I think at least one of my mates fell asleep during the flick, though thats what she does. Unless Christian Bale is on screen. What did RaqvenRanger think? Nice ride, BTW. Oh, and I got yer Big Box RIGHT HEAH!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #224
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
I thought Watchmen was pretty good considering just how much there is in the GN and trying to translate that to a different medium.

Folks who haven't read or aren't familiar with the GN, will be totally lost. The movie really tried to give some of the back story but it'd be really easy for the uninitiated to miss who was who and then be clueless as to motivations later on (if they make it that far).

Purists will be pissed at the changes and the subtleties that are left out (but who really wants to sit through a 6 hour movie - really, 'cause that's what it'd take).

Much of the really violent scenes could have been handled off-screen (like much is done out of panel in the GN). That would have saved the gratuitous violence label and have been just as effective. Might have also helped with the length.

So, as with most books to movie, the book is better - duh - but they did well considering the enormity of the task.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #225
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger
I thought Watchmen was pretty good considering just how much there is in the GN and trying to translate that to a different medium.

Folks who haven't read or aren't familiar with the GN, will be totally lost. The movie really tried to give some of the back story but it'd be really easy for the uninitiated to miss who was who and then be clueless as to motivations later on (if they make it that far).

Purists will be pissed at the changes and the subtleties that are left out (but who really wants to sit through a 6 hour movie - really, 'cause that's what it'd take).

Much of the really violent scenes could have been handled off-screen (like much is done out of panel in the GN). That would have saved the gratuitous violence label and have been just as effective. Might have also helped with the length.

So, as with most books to movie, the book is better - duh - but they did well considering the enormity of the task.
I made the mistake of not reading the book before watching the movie, but I still loved the movie, and was able to follow it a little, without it ruining the ending, which totally surprised me. I picked up the book yesterday and am in the process of reading it.

Inire: I'll try to keep my hands in my pockets. But it'd be awesome to see the facility.