ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #5941
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
I know, I know, and you got there and the gate was locked!!!

Looks like DR350 country! Did they airlift the guy off the mountain?
Actually, he was just resting. $100 to anyone who gets a DR350 up that hill without going down a couple times. Another $100 to you if you get the DR650 up period.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #5942
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Montana Mountain - north of Florence.
Attached Images

Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #5943
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,132
Mexico was great!

Stuck this on when I got back today:

I think my little zebra earned it.

Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #5944
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster
Actually, he was just resting. $100 to anyone who gets a DR350 up that hill without going down a couple times. Another $100 to you if you get the DR650 up period.
Not me, I'm old. (Late 50's) These days I can crack ribs just thinking about trying a hill like that.

The last time I rode up anything that looked like that, tho, was on a DR350, and it fell on top of me when I got traction. A full over wheelie on a 20% grade. It was only about a quarter of a mile, real loose then a solid basalt section. Kinda like hitting the powder after a long section of ice (I grew up skiing in Michigan.)

The picture kinda looks like y'all are climbing to the person's aid.

I'd be more likely to try it on the DR650 than on the KLR, tho..
Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #5945
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
Mexico was great!
lucky dog. good to see you back in one piece.
pringlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #5946
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster
Found a new definition of "Manhood Mountain" for you Thomas. Phast Phil took me out over on the backside of Mt/ Lemmon with some of his buds. They were all sporting Rekluse clutches and now I know why. Some gnarly ass steep, loose, mountain goat climbs.
Hmm, you might have to show me that area.

Today I experienced something I haven't EVER experienced on a ride with you guys. Not sure exactly why though.
I had the shakes after a couple of climbs with Mtndawg and I am sure they were from adrenaline. Soft climbs on narrow tracks with non-recoverable drops (not huge, but nasty I am sure).

I am ready to move up from my old XR but in the meantime, I will fix the forks (my rear brake was more effective than the front because of a coating of ATF, might have added to the adrenaline...)

I like the Desert IT's but they just didn't seem to have the same traction that Mtndawg was getting on the sides of banks. It could have been my slightly heavy throttle hand.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #5947
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Planning

OK, so I know Pringlecan is in (RIGHT!?!) but who else wants to ride out on rug road, camp, and ride back the next day? I want to do this next weekend. Saturday out, Sunday back.

I will lead (unless Mtndawg is around and willing to lead) and everyone willing to drop their bike (several times if you have a big bike) is welcome.
I am hoping a campfire, beer , and some camraderie can be had. However, there will be no kumbaya, just BS.

Come on guys, two days makes it an easy ride!!!
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #5948
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
lucky dog. good to see you back in one piece.
you;'re tellin me!

hey did you ever get your forks tken care of? I'm free wednesday and thursday if you want a hand.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #5949
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

i haven't. i'm trying to decide if i should buy springs or not. i'm an indecisive impulse buyer, if that makes any sense lol
Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #5950
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Another great day

Some days are like clock work, some fall into place like a land slide. After a bike problem at the stable, had to mix some fuel and smoke it. At least 8 gates later and going under the RR tracks and I 10 the DRZ has a Front flat, the effort to fix it was very noble but did not work. We followed 12 slow miles back to town, one rider less,and 26 miles, we were 1.4 miles from where we started !! Like I said before the good stuff starts just outside of town!!! We avoided it the first go round, but now pushed north at a nice pace on it, we made short work of getting back to where the flat incident was. The gittin it was very good thru here if your lookin far enough ahead. Decided to look at a Track I knew of but had not logged before A very nice loop it was,Track logged with no buttons pushed We jumped back into Tres Alamos wash to backtrack what we had done before, all that good stuff!!!!16 miles of pavement, 60+ of unimproved.click here all these pics in March album are part of what we rode,the last 3 are from today.

mntdawg screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 10:44 PM
mntdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #5951
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
i haven't. i'm trying to decide if i should buy springs or not. i'm an indecisive impulse buyer, if that makes any sense lol
are you going to do progressives? or do a heavier straight rate and maybe add emulators later
Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #5952
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

i'm thinking i should go progressives since i'm not always beating on the suspension... although i did consider heavier straight rate springs. my main concern is bottoming out. being 230 on a bike setup for someone thats 150 means there is alot of room for improvement, i just can't decide which way to go.

thomas-
i don't think this weekend will work for me, i need to get the front end of the KLR squared away before tackling anything more than pavement.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #5953
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Quote:
thomas-
i don't think this weekend will work for me, i need to get the front end of the KLR squared away before tackling anything more than pavement.
We have words (mostly a word) for that kind of excuse!

I think you can get it set up quick enough. Hell, I did it with blown forks

Besides, I only said you would make it down, not back up...
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #5954
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Forks

I just bought forks from a 2002 XR250 for my bike. Now I have compression and rebound damping (and they don't leak). Now for them to arrive in the mail...

Anyone have a local source for those neoprene seal savers?
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #5955
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
i'm thinking i should go progressives since i'm not always beating on the suspension... although i did consider heavier straight rate springs. my main concern is bottoming out. being 230 on a bike setup for someone thats 150 means there is alot of room for improvement, i just can't decide which way to go.

thomas-
Have you tried using a higher viscosity fork oil? Most forks are set up with 10w, as hard as some of you folks ride your bikes, frequent fork oil changes with 15w would be in order. Fork oil seems to shear even worse than crankcase oil. Shitty damping would show up as bottoming. Ricor's Intiminator (cartridge emulator) has been getting raves among the 'drink the koolaid' crowd.

And, just imho, Progressives may not fix what ails ya. You need a higher spring rate. Also, have you checked ot the (ahem!) Topgun replacement spring for the rear shock?

Thomas, try Cycle Gear, CSA @ 22nd & Kolb, and (ahem!) Ridenow. I've seen 'em somewhere in my travels in the past week, just altzheimering about it..