ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #6091
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer: 660
On my KLR 650 today I Replaced Spark Plug- old one had a pretty worn down electrode, but everything seemed the proper color.

Did "22cent Mod" Drilled out the Needle Vacuum hole, shimmed the needle and adjusted the air/fuel screw. This improves throttle response and mid range power a bit, my butt dyno confirms it.

Apparently one of the little rubber fuel tank hockey pucks is missing too, so in true KLR style i made a new one with an old rim strip and some electrical tape.

I noticed that there seems to be a little oil coming out of one of the bolts on the top-end. I've never had to put in oil between changes, so I just cleaned it up and will check to see how fast it accumulates. Is this something I should worry about?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6092
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
Yeah give it a few weeks, it will look different again. I'm constantly messing with stuff.

Better perspective
Saw you turning up Kolb today, you looked busy paying attention to traffic and all...
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #6093
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Yeah I think it looks great right now, I cant wait to see it with the big racelight if you end up getting that
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #6094
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Need some advice quick.

Is there a place here in Tucson that sells decent tents and sleeping bags for decent prices? Right now I am contemplating using my shelter half and picking up a $30 Coleman sleeping bag, but I really want something less bulky for a bag and definitely want something small for a tent, something that has a really small footprint when packed.

Alternatively, do you know a good online source that can ship here by Friday without taking an appendage in return?
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #6095
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
Need some advice quick.

Is there a place here in Tucson that sells decent tents and sleeping bags for decent prices? Right now I am contemplating using my shelter half and picking up a $30 Coleman sleeping bag, but I really want something less bulky for a bag and definitely want something small for a tent, something that has a really small footprint when packed.

Alternatively, do you know a good online source that can ship here by Friday without taking an appendage in return?
walmart has some cheap ass mummy bags right now http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mu...ng-Bag/2581360
don't know how good they are or how fast they could get them to you though, I don't think they are in store.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #6096
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Sometimes Miller's has good deals - you can also borrow my tent again if you need to.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #6097
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armacham
On my KLR 650 today I Replaced Spark Plug- old one had a pretty worn down electrode, but everything seemed the proper color.

Did "22cent Mod" Drilled out the Needle Vacuum hole, shimmed the needle and adjusted the air/fuel screw. This improves throttle response and mid range power a bit, my butt dyno confirms it.

Apparently one of the little rubber fuel tank hockey pucks is missing too, so in true KLR style i made a new one with an old rim strip and some electrical tape.

I noticed that there seems to be a little oil coming out of one of the bolts on the top-end. I've never had to put in oil between changes, so I just cleaned it up and will check to see how fast it accumulates. Is this something I should worry about?
the 22 cent mod is my favorite.

what bolt is seeping? it might just need to be torqued... you know how fasteners and KLRs are...
pringlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #6098
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
the 22 cent mod is my favorite.

what bolt is seeping? it might just need to be torqued... you know how fasteners and KLRs are...
one of the 4 valve cover bolts.... just seems like a slow seep, I've never had any oil problems. I'll take a look at it again when I replace the hockey puck eventually
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #6099
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Quote:
Need some advice quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger
Miller's...
is miller's the place on 6th & 6th? they have alot of camping stuff... last time i was there i was checking out the sleeping bags they have that compress really small but still have a decent temperature rating... i would definitely check there.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #6100
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
is miller's the place on 6th & 6th? they have alot of camping stuff... last time i was there i was checking out the sleeping bags they have that compress really small but still have a decent temperature rating... i would definitely check there.
yeah that's the place, they also have a location on Craycroft and 22
Old 03-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #6101
Armacham
I Voted for Kodos!

Quote:
one of the 4 valve cover bolts.... just seems like a slow seep, I've never had any oil problems. I'll take a look at it again when I replace the hockey puck eventually

just looked at the microfiche on bike bandit, there is a 6 dollar o-ring/seal that just may need replacing too
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6102
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Quote:
the most i'd do is put a wrench on it to make sure it's snug.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #6103
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Need some advice quick.

I think Drizzt still has my backpacking tent? You are welcome to borrow it if you can track it down.

I have a 40 degree sleeping bag you can borrow too if that will keep you warm enough. The bag doesn't pack down very small though. I have a little bedroll that's just a fleece blanket that zips, but unless it's looking like a very warm night or you are feeling hardcore, I don't think it would be enough. It packs very small though.
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #6104
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

is everyone ready for the overland expo? i'm stoked that something so HUGE is basically in my backyard
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #6105
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I think Drizzt still has my backpacking tent? You are welcome to borrow it if you can track it down.

I have a 40 degree sleeping bag you can borrow too if that will keep you warm enough. The bag doesn't pack down very small though. I have a little bedroll that's just a fleece blanket that zips, but unless it's looking like a very warm night or you are feeling hardcore, I don't think it would be enough. It packs very small though.
Yeah, I am looking for something to pack down small so it will work for me in the future. I hope to not borrow anything but might have to...

My shelter-half is a small item but not friendly for set up and I have been wanting to replace it for a while, so I'll see if I can check out Miller's tomorrow.
Thanks peoples!
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote: