ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #7291
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
I'm glad you had a good ride, I was feeling bad that you came all the way down just for a couple miles of dirt.

A thanks to midengineracer for hauling the ol dizzer back home.

I'm going to do some electrical diagnosis to make sure it's the stator tomorrow, then go from there. I'll likely be back online in a week if I need to order a new stator.
Did you get that Suzi fixed?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #7292
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,385
Flash, R U going tonight to the RG? It looks like the graduate is going shopping with her mother, so I am going to ride over. I could stop by and we ride over together?
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #7293
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Did you get that Suzi fixed?
The Stator is in transit. They have to ship it from a remote warehouse though

It said 3-6 days, then however long from las vegas to here. that was 4 days ago, so with any luck it'll be here around monday. I have graduation on the 27th, then I'm on a trip to DC until June 5th or so.

Did you ask for a particular reason?

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #7294
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armacham

speedholes!!
I bet the first CHP officer that sees this plate gives him a ticket. No friggin' sense of humor!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #7295
rumplefester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphil38
OK, Since some of us have to work, I'm sure that PC will provide a full ride report and Kevin will provide some entertaining video from todays ride. Ride On Phil
Sorry folks, been a long day at work. It seems like these days one gets penalized for taking time off. The general malaise from the economy and increasing distrust and abhorrence for government does screw us civil servants up too! OK, rant over... sorry!

I will edit video this weekend and post up some fun clips. Nigel, I still need to do the ftp site too.

Later...

- KeVin
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #7296
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
can anyone tell me about hiking the grand canyon? i want to go to the north rim with my 7 year old and poke around a bit... is it unrealistic to go down to the river and back in one day?

everything i can find online wants to either sell me a tour or talk about hardcore hiking.

edit- North Kaibab Trail seems to be the only way to get to the river from the north rim. the research continues...

pringlecan screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 09:34 AM
pringlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #7297
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
can anyone tell me about hiking the grand canyon? i want to go to the north rim with my 7 year old and poke around a bit... is it unrealistic to go down to the river and back in one day?
My aunt was telling me about hiking the Grand Canyon. She's in great shape and does the whole thing in a day, I think she said it was 20 miles though. You'd end up carrying your kid...

...maybe rethink this buddy. :cough: Chiva Falls hiking :cough:
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #7298
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
My aunt was telling me about hiking the Grand Canyon. She's in great shape and does the whole thing in a day, I think she said it was 20 miles though. You'd end up carrying your kid...

...maybe rethink this buddy. :cough: Chiva Falls hiking :cough:
i'm not gonna hike chiva, i can bring him there on the KLR, 2 up! i'm a mad man!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #7299
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
I'll be seeing a friend of mine that has done several rim to rim hikes at the canyon. If I remember correcty, it would be farther to do what you want than to do it rim to rim.

By the way if you aren't in really good hiking shape you will need to be carried out as well (I'm not kidding).

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #7300
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlecan
i'm not gonna hike chiva, i can bring him there on the KLR, 2 up! i'm a mad man!
I know you can ride Chiva on a KLR carrying a toddler and basket of eggs...I'm talking about you huffing and puffing up the little climb to the top of the falls bro.
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #7301
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I know you can ride Chiva on a KLR carrying a toddler and basket of eggs...I'm talking about you huffing and puffing up the little climb to the top of the falls bro.
at least i didn't need someone else to do it first, bro-ette... aka ms. i'm just gonna splash in the little pool at the bottom

after what i've read about the suicide mission it is to just get to the river in one day much less there and back, i believe we'll bee-bop our way to roaring springs and head back up at the end of the day. all day to do 9-10 miles should be safe. i'm really looking forward to seeing the north rim... i've been saving this trip for a really long time and it's just over 3 weeks away
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #7302
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Hey Skip, you need to buy me this bike, so that way whenever I've built up a little cash, I can buy it off of you to teach my girlfriend how to ride. It's vintage and everything!

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1752580638.html

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #7303
usafric
Rio Rancho NM

Oddometer: 410
So, who's riding tomorrow (Sat)??? I'm thinking of driving out to Willcox to see Inde Motorsports track. They have their first track day this weekend. If no one is riding, I'll take the Julie and Meg out for the day.
usafric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #7304
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
I think the Bright Angel trail is the easiest, but still a tough climb, especially in the rain ( been there, done that) You could drive to Lee's Ferry at the bottom and hike around and even fish. Just be careful with the special vacuum type toilets they have down there... you might lose your kid..
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #7305
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafric
So, who's riding tomorrow (Sat)??? I'm thinking of driving out to Willcox to see Inde Motorsports track. They have their first track day this weekend. If no one is riding, I'll take the Julie and Meg out for the day.
I'm riding, but it is going to be all high-speed. For once, you might not be able to keep up with me!

Crappy interstate
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote