ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #751
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Anyone up for an Arivaca (via the dirt) run Saturday morning? Possible side trip up Kitt peak on the way back?

The route is big bike friendly, only a couple short sections of sand...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #752
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

Oddometer: 40
I may be up for a ride Saturday--I should know better in a few days.

Bruce

PS: I now have tubes, irons, patches, and a centerstand...so there's no chance I'll ever get a flat again.
DesertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #753
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDouglas

PS: I now have tubes, irons, patches, and a centerstand...so there's no chance I'll ever get a flat again.
don't forget the air compressor.....
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #754
goodtimes
local bum

Quote:
I may be up for a ride Saturday--I should know better in a few days.

Bruce

Did you ever figure out what caused it?

I need to send an e-mail to Jonathan and Roseann...I don't think they follow this board.

On a related note, Marisa keeps sending me links to craigslist bikes. I think that since I brought up the Copper Canyon trip, getting a bike for herself has moved up the priority list a notch or two.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #755
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

Nope, never did. I suspect it was a screw from the smashed sliding glass doors (as the DPS patrolman suggested).

Are you going to Barrio for bike night tonight? I hope to make it to Red Garter tomorrow night.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #756
goodtimes
local bum

Quote:
Nope, never did. I suspect it was a screw from the smashed sliding glass doors (as the DPS patrolman suggested).

Are you going to Barrio for bike night tonight? I hope to make it to Red Garter tomorrow night.
I probably wont' be at vintage night tonight. I am hoping to go out to Vail and look at a TW200 for Marisa....but I'll be at the Red Garter tomorrow...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #757
Westbrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Helllooooo Tucson!

I'm about 6 weeks off from my cross-country move from PA to sunny Tucson, AZ and I thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself.

Going through this thread, most if not all of the group rides I've seen have been pretty heavy offroad. Can anyone recommend some rides (or groups!) that are manageable on a bigger bike (12GS)?

I look forward to hopefully meeting some of ya'll in the not too distant future. Any other recommendations for an east-coaster moving west?
Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #758
goodtimes
local bum

Welcome!

There are plenty of big GS friendly rides out here. There is so much open space that it just isn't funny. The guys on the little bikes that like screaming down single track can run into problems with land access, but for those who are looking for the actual (public) 'roads' to explore (be those maintained, sorta-maintained, or completely un-maintained), there is no shortage of places to ride. You just gotta share those roads with the occasional cage, and come to terms with the fact that a great majority of them are down in the desert where it is just friggin' hot in the summer.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #759
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbrook
I'm about 6 weeks off from my cross-country move from PA to sunny Tucson, AZ and I thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself.

Going through this thread, most if not all of the group rides I've seen have been pretty heavy offroad. Can anyone recommend some rides (or groups!) that are manageable on a bigger bike (12GS)?

I look forward to hopefully meeting some of ya'll in the not too distant future. Any other recommendations for an east-coaster moving west?
Mt Lemmon is a fantastic paved ride and the higher elevation makes it much cooler. In 6 weeks I should have my new dual sport and it would be fun to ride up with you. :) If you don't mind keeping a leisurely pace that is, I'll still be adjusting to the big new bike and I don't want to fly off the mountain.
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #760
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

I had a great time at the Red Garter--I'll try to make more in the future.

Becky, let us know when you get your new ride. I heard you're a fan of Lois Pryce--I had a chance to meet her back in April, she's a very interesting and impressive gal.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #761
pringlecan
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
sup guys. new to Sahuarita, just north of Duval Mine Rd & La Canada. Spent last Saturday lost in Box Canyon area, Fish Canyon... nice scenery. i ride an 07 KLR.
pringlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #762
goodtimes
local bum

Anyone interested....

Saturday 8/8/09:

Arivaca / Kitt Peak ride.

Starting @ the Mobile station on Ajo hwy (SR86), 6 miles west of I-19 @ 7am.

We will head west to Sierrita Mtn road, south into the state land, and work our way around the western edge of the Sierrita Mountains, finding pavement a few miles east of Arivaca.

Stopping at Gadsden Coffee in Arivaca for food and coffee.

Returning via 286 to 3-points with an optional run up Kitt Peak.

This route is big bike friendly, but does include some large wash crossings complete with just enough sand to keep things interesting on the big bikes.

At this point, there are two 800GSs and one DR650 going. If anyone else is up for it, you are welcome to join. Assuming we can keep a good pace going, we should be back in Tucson mid-afternoon.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #763
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
I'm still around

Hey guys (and gals), sorry I haven't been at the red garter lately. I'm still around, but the start of school has been hectic, so I haven't had much time for riding. Hope to be at the red garter next time. For the Arivaca ride-do you know approx. how many miles it will be?

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #764
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
I had a great time at the Red Garter--I'll try to make more in the future.

Becky, let us know when you get your new ride. I heard you're a fan of Lois Pryce--I had a chance to meet her back in April, she's a very interesting and impressive gal.
It was great to meet you all!

I spoke to a guy from Sierra Cycles today. He said they could deliver my brand new KLR650, with the dished Corbin seat I wanted installed for under 6k out the door. They were crazy nice offering to come in after hours or Sundays to accommodate my schedule. I guess they really need to sell some motorcycles...

Haha yes, my mother has Lois Pryce to blame for this. I brought her books with me on my trip to Hawaii last month and that combined with a couple nice guys who let me ride their big bikes convinced me it was time to move up from the scooter.

I'm so excited! I could have my new bike by next week!
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #765
goodtimes
local bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt
Hey guys (and gals), sorry I haven't been at the red garter lately. I'm still around, but the start of school has been hectic, so I haven't had much time for riding. Hope to be at the red garter next time. For the Arivaca ride-do you know approx. how many miles it will be?
IIRC, it is *roughly* 55 - 60 miles from the Mobil station to Arivaca Rd. 30 - 40 of that is dirt. Then another 10 (??) miles to Arivaca (which has gas). Not sure how far it is from Arivaca to 3 points via 286. It is a 45 minute ride at a reasonable speed (IE: the speed limit +/- 15mph)....

I want to say the whole thing, not including Kitt Peak, is in the neighborhood of 125...but I would have to classify that as a WAG.