ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #766
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes
IIRC, it is *roughly* 55 - 60 miles from the Mobil station to Arivaca Rd. 30 - 40 of that is dirt. Then another 10 (??) miles to Arivaca (which has gas). Not sure how far it is from Arivaca to 3 points via 286. It is a 45 minute ride at a reasonable speed (IE: the speed limit +/- 15mph)....

I want to say the whole thing, not including Kitt Peak, is in the neighborhood of 125...but I would have to classify that as a WAG.
Cool, thanks. I would like to do that ride some time but I don't think this weekend will be the time to do it for me(some things came up and my bike isn't ready, I need to change the oil in 80 miles). I'll see you guys out there some other time, have a good time.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #767
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

Oddometer: 40
Becky, I've only heard good things about Sierra Cycle (down in Sierra Vista, right). Years ago they helped out my friend Bur (the guy to my right) with a tire for his TransAlp (now mine)--it was a last minute thing on a Saturday.

Hang on to your scooter if you can--they are just too cool. A while back I ran into Dave from the Scarab SC out of Phoenix. The "scooter world" seems to focus on fun.
DesertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #768
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic

I'm so excited! I could have my new bike by next week!
Becktastic:

Alright! I'm stoked for you!

I'm guessing you will love cruisin' that KLR around on the highways and trails.

My first DS bike was an '85 KLR 600. It was a true cockroach. Nothing could kill it. I bet the newer models are still tough as nails.

I look forward to seeing you on the trails!

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #769
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDouglas
Becky, I've only heard good things about Sierra Cycle (down in Sierra Vista, right). Years ago they helped out my friend Bur (the guy to my right) with a tire for his TransAlp (now mine)--it was a last minute thing on a Saturday.

Hang on to your scooter if you can--they are just too cool. A while back I ran into Dave from the Scarab SC out of Phoenix. The "scooter world" seems to focus on fun.
Yeah they're down in SV and they seem very awesome. :)

I keep debating on my scoot, I figure I will keep her for now and then rethink it if she ends up just sitting or I need the money or something. The scooter community is fantastic! I'm still totally going to the scooter events even if I only have an adv. They are welcoming to non scooters anyway, but they know me and I'm sure they wouldn't mind me tagging along. I actually designed the logo for one of the clubs out here, Sky Island Riders. Bald John down at GoGorillas Scooter Garage is cool too and of course the owners and staff of ScootOver. Scooter people are among the nicest and most fun people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. You adv riders have a tough act to follow :P ;)
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #770
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
It was great to meet you all!

I spoke to a guy from Sierra Cycles today. He said they could deliver my brand new KLR650, with the dished Corbin seat I wanted installed for under 6k out the door. They were crazy nice offering to come in after hours or Sundays to accommodate my schedule. I guess they really need to sell some motorcycles...

Haha yes, my mother has Lois Pryce to blame for this. I brought her books with me on my trip to Hawaii last month and that combined with a couple nice guys who let me ride their big bikes convinced me it was time to move up from the scooter.

I'm so excited! I could have my new bike by next week!
Cool deal. I am glad to see they are still dealing with the folks in Tucson. I have been very happy with them. Thumbs up and see you on your new KLR. What color?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #771
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Quote:
Anyone interested....

Saturday 8/8/09:

Arivaca / Kitt Peak ride.

Starting @ the Mobile station on Ajo hwy (SR86), 6 miles west of I-19 @ 7am.

We will head west to Sierrita Mtn road, south into the state land, and work our way around the western edge of the Sierrita Mountains, finding pavement a few miles east of Arivaca.

Stopping at Gadsden Coffee in Arivaca for food and coffee.

Returning via 286 to 3-points with an optional run up Kitt Peak.

This route is big bike friendly, but does include some large wash crossings complete with just enough sand to keep things interesting on the big bikes.

At this point, there are two 800GSs and one DR650 going. If anyone else is up for it, you are welcome to join. Assuming we can keep a good pace going, we should be back in Tucson mid-afternoon.

That was a good ride and I enjoyed to company. The ride was 184 miles round trip from my place at 22nd/Harrison but I did cutout a little early to head back. Thanks for setting this up goodtimes.

We need more DualSport rides like this!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #772
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster
Cool deal. I am glad to see they are still dealing with the folks in Tucson. I have been very happy with them. Thumbs up and see you on your new KLR. What color?
Blue!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #773
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
That was a good ride and I enjoyed to company. The ride was 184 miles round trip from my place at 22nd/Harrison but I did cutout a little early to head back. Thanks for setting this up goodtimes.

We need more DualSport rides like this!
Glad you made it out!

We ended up not doing Kitt Peak. The weather was so nice in Arivaca, that we stayed until just shy of 2pm, then came back to Tucson via Mission Rd.

It was a great ride!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #774
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Blue!
Who would have guessed!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #775
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Who would have guessed!
I'm having a bit of a problem :(

My boyfriend didn't get approved for financing. In an effort not to be a jerk, I am waiting a little while to get my bike in the hope he can find a way to get one too. We bought our scooters together, researched and decided on the KLRs together and I don't want to flaunt my brand new bike in front of him if he can't get one.

But at the same time I really really really want my bike NOW!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #776
DesertDouglas
Back in the Saddle

Oddometer: 40
Sorry to hear that Becky. I think you can get your bike now without flaunting it. It will be inspiration for figuring out how to get one for him. I really like the lines of the new KLRs, but he might want to consider a slightly used one http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1309355933.html deals can be very good.

I really understand financing hassles. Back in '86 I couldn't get financing for my BMW (I had no credit history) so I had to put the full loan amount in a CD--then they "loaned" me the money. I've never been impressed with banks since then. And that was the last new bike I bought.
DesertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #777
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Waaazup Guys and Gals? It seems I got unsubscribed from this thread somehow. I thought it was dead for the summer but should have known better

Sorry I missed the Garter and the weekend ride but I left Tucson for work (sucks!!) that morning. Should be back in a week or 2.

Westbrook - I got your pm but as you can see were a big bike friendly bunch Welcome to you and all the other new peeps joining our motley crew.

On a heat related note, a guy I ran into at Raytheon that has one of those Veskimo cooling systems and loves it. Pricey, but if you ride a lot in the Summer it's probably worth it. Google em up and see what you think or does anyone have any experience with them? Very light weight system.

L8R,
Russ

PS - Anbody heard from our bud LowDown?
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #778
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

pics of Tucson to Arivaca by dirt

Quote:
Saturday 8/8/09:

Arivaca / Kitt Peak ride.

Starting @ the Mobile station on Ajo hwy (SR86), 6 miles west of I-19 @ 7am.

We will head west to Sierrita Mtn road, south into the state land, and work our way around the western edge of the Sierrita Mountains, finding pavement a few miles east of Arivaca.

Stopping at Gadsden Coffee in Arivaca for food and coffee.
Ajo Way near Three Points, 35 miles of dirt road and ranch roads to Arivaca. Trip was 184 miles roundtrip from 22nd/Harisson.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #779
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Awww!!!

Crapitall! I see both an 800 (the one my wife still thinks I should have bought) and a 650GS. I wish I could have joined you guys.

I haven't been on in a while (once you get one or two E-mails, you don't get more until you log on again). I recently found out that I have arthritis, it complements the type 2 tear of my ACL from my accident on the YZ.
I will come back out with you guys 'soon', and i look forward to it!

Quote:
Ajo Way near Three Points, 35 miles of dirt road and ranch roads to Arivaca. Trip was 184 miles roundtrip from 22nd/Harisson.

2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #780
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
nice SS1K route

I had a nice little jaunt up to Santa Fe to meet some folks from Oklahoma City for dinner and found a good, beginner friendly SS1K route for those who've not done one but would like to try it.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/253137

There was very little traffic on the non-slab portions and I managed to make it up to Santa Fe in 7:36 and back in 7:05 (basically no stopping except for gas and I have a ~300 mile range). From just outside of Safford to Grants I only had to pass 3 people and went from Reserve, NM to Grants, NM without seeing anyone except when I crossed 60 at Quemado. It was pretty much the same on the way back once I got off the slab at Socorro. I had the road to myself all the way to Reserve. Passed a couple of RVs around Glenwood and then didn't see anyone 'til the outskirts of Safford.

This is a much nicer ride than the Tucson/Las Cruces/ABQ/Flag/Tucson (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) route that most folks do. It's nice to have a major bail-out point around mid-way and one also has the option of doing the second half as all slab if it gets late and one would rather not be out in the middle of nowhere. There's also gas about every 130 miles (for those without 300 mile ranges). A slightly different return route as well as the mix of country side and slab helps keep it from being monotonous.

Saw one Antelope standing by the side of the road between Datil, NM and Reserve, NM on Hwy 12. Fortunately he didn't go for it. Stopped for a flock of turkeys crossing the road between Aragon, NM and Apache Creek, NM (further along on Hwy 12). The turkeys were actually a close call because they were on the down side as I crested a small hill so no fore-warning for them love those ABS brakes.

Beautiful, beautiful country side and I highly recommend NM 12 and NM 32 even if you aren't doing an SS1K. NM 32 from Apache Creek up to Quemado is awesome - sweet, sweet 90 mph sweepers without another soul around. It will definitely put a smile on your face!
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote